The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Sharri5
Title. Harvard, Stanford and MIT post lectures online so that students from all over the world can benefit from them. Why doesn't Oxbridge or other popular universities in the UK do so? It it the facilities? Is it the setup of the courses? Are they selfish?

Perhaps the answer lies in how much the unis make. The American Unis are better endowed than their British equals(?) The british unis might feel that they can't afford to let people who aren't paying watch their videos.
Or maybe the British Unis are just a bit behind.
Reply 41
Original post by hobnob
So how long have they been around for, then? Three years, maybe? That's hardly a long time...
Also, if you had clicked the link in the very first reply to your thread, you'd have seen that Oxford do actually offer a series of podcasts, some of which are recordings of regular lectures.

MIT's OCW was announced in October 2002, so online lectures have most certainly been "around" for more than three years. :wink:
Original post by airwin655
'Oh no, I can't get lecture notes from Oxford on the internet...I know, I'll join a gang and hang out on a street corner! That will be just as intellectually stimulating!'
This is obviously the reason there are idiots in the world. They cant get hold of lectures on the internet...

Someone clearly trying to be smart by taking it as a literal example rather than looking at the principles, pathetic.
Original post by Sharri5
I've already stated why it was strange to me :confused:

Read people. :colonhash:

Original post by Sharri5
Title. Harvard, Stanford and MIT post lectures online so that students from all over the world can benefit from them. Why doesn't Oxbridge or other popular universities in the UK do so? It it the facilities? Is it the setup of the courses? Are they selfish?

Original post by Sharri5
This is why americans think brits are pretentious (if you're even british). I mean seriously, they don't have to post everything. None of the schools I listed do. I just thought it was strange that UK unis didn't do this, especially for two unis that set the standard in education--- as you basically stated above. It seems they would want to lead this charge in spreading education online.

*I haven't checked the above link yet.

Original post by Sharri5
I gave a quick browse to the Oxford website and I was really referring to a continuous in class selection.

Original post by Sharri5
I've always thought they've done it for brand awareness (wanting their name to reach all corners of the world).

Original post by Sharri5
Come on, there not that recent. Are there any plans for oxbridge to do so? Online lectures have been around long enough that if there were any plans to do so, something surely would have been said by now.

Original post by Sharri5
Clearly, we disagree on the time it takes to make plans so there's no point in getting into detail about that.

I also refer you to post 7. Hint: Read it carefully.

Original post by Sharri5
I looked at iTunes u and that wasn't really what I was looking for. If there are regular lectures posted great but it's like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Original post by Sharri5
I've already said that I guess they are there, but the setup is strange to me. Why do they have a different professor for each lecture?

Original post by Sharri5
This is such a selfish attitude. If you truly think that knowledge is worthless because someone gives it away then you have a messed up idea of what knowledge actually is and is for. I can't believe you honestly think that if oxbridge posted more lectures people would stop attending. Like it or not, people will still care whether you actually attended the educational institution because they know what type of student you had to be to get in there the first place. Anyone can take a course online and once again-- we're just talking about a few lectures (and unis are more than lectures). Online courses help educate the population--people who may not have been able to get the information otherwise. Why someone would want to deny education is beyond me. As far as being disrespectful to oxbridge students--- these students should be smart enough to know that taking a few courses online is not going to diminish the value of their full course load and subsequent degree from those unis.

Struggling here to find the bit where you said how strange it all is. The fact that you want Oxford and Cambridge to Taylor their online lecture system to a way which you can understand is unbelievably egocentric. UK degree courses are run quite a lot different to those found in the USA, so obviously anything they post online is going to be in a different format?

Original post by Sharri5
Also, the second part of your comment is highly ignorant. :colondollar:

How?? Or were you just being pretentious and rude? Because that's the kind of attitude I'm getting from you.
Reply 44
Original post by Obfuscator
Struggling here to find the bit where you said how strange it all is. The fact that you want Oxford and Cambridge to Taylor their online lecture system to a way which you can understand is unbelievably egocentric. UK degree courses are run quite a lot different to those found in the USA, so obviously anything they post online is going to be in a different format?

How?? Or were you just being pretentious and rude? Because that's the kind of attitude I'm getting from you.

You're unbelievably arrogant and a liar at that. When did I ever say that I wanted anything my way? Find the quote or GTFO with your lying self. Yes, you are pretentious and rude, and may I also add desperate to that group. I posted a question. Go kick rocks if you have a problem with someone asking a simple question.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Sharri5
You're unbelievably arrogant and a liar at that. When did I ever say that I wanted anything my way? Find the quote or GTFO with your lying self. Yes, you are pretentious and rude, and may I also add desperate to that group. I posted a question. Go kick rocks if you have a problem with someone asking a simple question.

Blimey you're so reactionary. Chill out! When someone showed you that Oxford does post lectures, you just said 'that's not what I want' when it was an answer to your question? Perhaps I misinterpreted your original question but it seemed to me to be saying 'why don't these universities post online lectures' then when the answer was 'they do' you simply said 'yes but not in a way I can understand/in a way that I want'. Correct me if I'm wrong...
Reply 46
Original post by Obfuscator
Blimey you're so reactionary. Chill out! When someone showed you that Oxford does post lectures, you just said 'that's not what I want' when it was an answer to your question? Perhaps I misinterpreted your original question but it seemed to me to be saying 'why don't these universities post online lectures'

Yes. This is correct

then when the answer was 'they do'

Yes, this was the response from some

you simply said 'yes but not in a way I can understand/in a way that I want'.
Correct me if I'm wrong...

I couldn't find any lectures from in class sessions which was why I posted the question and openly wondered if this was something that UK unis did. People said they were there, I said I couldn't find them. All I could find were those guest lecture series, which apparently was what people were referring to. My response--wasn't originally what I was looking for but ok. That was it for my part. Why you have a ****ing problem with that I do not know. For the rest of the thread, people started arguing over whether oxbridge, specifically oxford, should offer lectures online, not if they did. I mean seriously, you came in like some cheap ass sherlock, trying to solve a ****ing case that has long since been closed :colondollar:. Even worse, trying to pick a fight with me with your ignorant comments. What the **** is wrong with you :confused:
Original post by Sharri5

Have you been on iTunes U? Both Oxford and Cambridge post many lectures online.
Reply 48
Original post by TurboCretin
Have you been on iTunes U? Both Oxford and Cambridge post many lectures online.

Cool story bro :rolleyes:
Original post by Sharri5
Cool story bro :rolleyes:

You're the one who posted a thread about trying to find Oxbridge lectures online. Cool attitude toward people trying to help you, bro.

And thanks for the neg, ****tard. I'm not going to read the entire thread before posting. If my comment has been made redundant you're quite free to ignore it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by TurboCretin
You're the one who posted a thread about trying to find Oxbridge lectures online. Cool attitude toward people trying to help you, bro.

And thanks for the neg, ****tard.

oooh name calling? Genius!!!! So excited, I had no idea I was sharing a thread with Mr. Mature :rolleyes:

Also, for someone that has over 3,000 post, one would think you would know how tsr works. Try and work that one out. :wink:

Lastly, it's not help if you're wasting my time. Go help someone else.

Latest

Trending

Trending