The Student Room Group

Spanking children as a punishment (poll included)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by Chronist
Just because you (think) you are intelligent and recourse to it does not mean that the rest of us do so as a last recourse.
Any (high) intelligent people know that swearing does not help unless you just want to feed your ego by seeing the other person offended.
And stop trolling or I will report you, then you will see if I am serious or not.

I would sit and tell you why everything you're saying is ridiculous but honestly there isn't enough time in the day
Reply 161
Original post by ROYP
I would sit and tell you why everything you're saying is ridiculous but honestly there isn't enough time in the day

No, you literally don't have time now (in fact, you have warnings), so now go and troll somewhere else.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 162
Original post by ButterflyBell
Plain and simple, when i was young and did something bad, i had a smack on the bum..... then never did it again. And guess what, I'm a well rounded, sane and totally healthy 25 year old who can proudly state "i was spanked as a child, and yes, i lived to tell the tale!" *rolls eyes*

Nothing makes me more frustrated than seeing parents now a days "right mummy's going to get mad in a minute" ... "Now for the second time, what have i just said, stop it please" ... "if you do that one more time I'm going to get cross" .... and so on, and so on until they get to "right I've told you 45 times now, mummy will get cross if you do it again" - And thats why kids behaviour now a days is so out of control.

I do not in any way, shape or form, condone beating children. I'm talking about a light spanking. Causing them embarassment rather than physical pain. As i said, a light spank never did me any harm! and nor will it have done most of the people on here any harm either!

That is what YOU say. Anyway, I partially agree with you.
Reply 163
Personally I don't think it's wrong as long as it's not too hard. I was spanked about 2 or 3 times as a little kid. I learnt my mistakes and never did it again. And I thought nothing of it. Me and my mum are like best friends. Same goes for with my dad. I do agree there are other punishments which could be more or just as affective. But I don't think a light tap is going to traumatise a child like everyone seems to think it would.
Reply 164
I can only really speak from personal experience of being a kid and been hit a number of times.

Maybe it's because my parents were over the top, for example, my dad would come in from work pissed off and sit down and shout at me saying
"YOU! **** OFF TO BED!" and I just answered with "why?" and got kicked up the arse to bed...for no reason.

Sometimes I WAS naughty... but even then I felt, as a child, that this can't be the right way to do things. Every time I got smacked I had this sensational and uncontrollable feeling where I just wished they were dead. I actually used to scream that I wished they were dead LOL! I know it's bad. I wasn't spoilt or anything I was polite but also the average kid who would sometimes do something naughty once in a while.

The best punishment I ever got though was when my dad found out I was smoking (age 12, disgusting I know) and instead of getting a beating, he just wouldn't look at me or acknowledge my existence. That punished me more than the smacking ever did. I never smoked since.
I voted no because I think that everyone should have an idea of morality that doesn't only revolve around punishment and reward, but around what's actualy right and wrong.

However, I'm still a bit conflicted. Children don't think in the same way as adults, and if they could get away with something, they would do it out of selfishness. They rely more on instincts than adults do.

It's a tricky question and I have no answer. Maybe it should depend on the child and how many times they repeat certain offenses.
If you have to hit your kids, you're a **** parent.
Spanking won't teach children why something is wrong, sure they'll avoid doing it, but only to avoid being hit, not because they understand that what they are doing is wrong.
Well, there are other successful forms of discipline (see Super Nanny) that seem to work as well. I would side on 'yes, it's fine' as long as it's done with an open palm with little force. Discipline should be more about sentiment and meaning than pain. But choose a discipline method that suits you and your child... as long as there is strong discipline in place because no one wants their kid to grow into an utter selfish prat.
Original post by brightonlad89
Well, there are other successful forms of discipline (see Super Nanny) that seem to work as well. I would side on 'yes, it's fine' as long as it's done with an open palm with little force. Discipline should be more about sentiment and meaning than pain. But choose a discipline method that suits you and your child... as long as there is strong discipline in place because no one wants their kid to grow into an utter selfish prat.

Just tried to give you a positive rate for that but was told I have reached my limit :frown:
Original post by Chronist
That is what YOU say. Anyway, I partially agree with you.

I agree :smile: everyone is entitled to their opinion and no one can tell someone else how to discipline their children (as long as they are not beating/sexually abusing them)
Original post by ROYP
They shouldn't be trained like animals. Teach/tell them why things are wrong. People should want to do the right thing out of morality, not because they'll get a smack otherwise.

In an ideal society this may be the case. However, society is far from ideal. Sometimes somebody needs to simply be put in their place.
Reply 172
Yes when talking has failed.

Repeated hitting no, dont go mental. Im saying yes in the case where the first time a child being spanked should cause fear to be associated so they dont repeat the action or an action similar to again.
Original post by Jordan_1
A lot of people on this thread having no idea what they're talking about, saying things like "Spanking children only teaches them violence is acceptable etc". Stop talking out your arse.

Me and my siblings got a light slap and they have never been in a fight. I have been in 2 my entire life and they were out of self defence.

Another family member of mine was never spanked as a child and served in prison for continuously fighting.

Children will realise the actions were wrong when it is associated with pain, it's called conditioning. You really thing a childrens life will be ruined by slight pain that lasts around 30 seconds?

Of course, child abuse is a completely different issue.

I see only correlation not causation in your very particular example. Spanking someone is not going to be the determining factor for a fruitful life. There are many more important aspects such as social conditions and motivation which determine your behavior. You cannot spank someone into submission and expect longstanding results.
Definitely against it... If a parent is respected, the right words will do the job.
Said no just to see the poll results but tbh hitting a child should only be used as the last course of action :wink:
Original post by yothi5
No kid likes being hit or spanked. Deters them from committing further wrongs in the future.

But it doesn't result in them understanding why what they did was wrong.
If you look at the difference in behaviour and respect between Japanese, Korean and Chinese kids and English kids I think it's all down to the discipline they received during childhood. When you're a child you cannot be reasoned with, so a little spanking is the only way to teach them. I think Britain has changed for the worse in terms of parenting because British parents aren't like how they used to be. Nowadays they let their kids do whatever they want, swear in the street, disrespect teachers, fight at school, etc. This kind of behaviour is all a result of upbringing. This isn't to say British parents teach their children to behave like that, but kids are kids and they will naturally behave like wild animals if given the chance. This is why you need a strict figure in their life to DISCIPLINE them when they are young, and by doing so they will grow into teenagers that are respectful, decent and courteous.

Spanking does not constitute 'beating' or 'violence' so I don't know why some people are equating it with those things. They aren't even remotely similar.
Depends.

Smacked for disturbing Jeremy Kyle or some other pointless thing = NO

Smacked for playing with matches or some other considerably serious offence for a child = YES

I was a firebug, lucky I never set myself on fire to be fair, burnt my finger once with melting plastic, that did the trick, could have done with a slap and I might not have burnt myself.
Reply 179
With young children, I would say it is acceptable in some instances. It isn't always possible to explain to a very young child why something is dangerous. A child can work out 'doing that = pain' and that can help. So should it be used, yes, but only as a last resort.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending