The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Ask a Current UCL Student: The Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

May I ask please LSOP has now merged with UCL does it makemit top 4?? And can we use all of UCL facilities and will be having lectures there for pharmacy?thanks
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2341
Original post by steffanie
Hii, I do law :smile:
With regard to the course, in first year you'll have four two-hour lectures a week, one for each of your subjects, and you'll have two one-hour tutorials a week, which run in a fortnightly cycle.

Work load isn't too bad, four essays due in first term and then another four due in second term, with the deadlines all spaced one week apart.
Our contract tutor told us she expected us to do eight hours of work for each of her tutorials, but you can get by on less with lecture notes etc. Tutorials are really helpful though, especially if you know what you're actually talking about in them (which is not always!) so I'd recommend that you do actually put the work in for them, it can get very awkward otherwise...

If either of you have any more questions, feel free to message me :smile:
(and well done for getting offers!)

Thanks for your reply! The course I have an offer for is Law with German Law, but I guess there isn't much that changes there other than the German stuff?
I was just wondering if there is anyone here that represents a sports team? For example, how easy is it to play football regularly if you are based in the centre of London.
Thanks
Original post by farrar
Thanks for your reply! The course I have an offer for is Law with German Law, but I guess there isn't much that changes there other than the German stuff?
I was just wondering if there is anyone here that represents a sports team? For example, how easy is it to play football regularly if you are based in the centre of London.
Thanks

From what I know about the language courses from other 'Law with' people, you have the same structure for the main four modules, and just have an extra language three-hour tutorial type thing, and get set language essays as well. Though this is just what I think and might need to be confirmed by someone :smile:
(We do have law sports teams as well!)
Hi! Would someone be willing to answer me some questions about The Denys Holland Scholarship on this thread? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1950019&p=36793191#post36793191

Many thanks!
Hi, would anyone doing French and Russian be able to answer some questions for me please?
Heya, is there anyone currently doing Russian Studies who is able to answer some of my questions, please? Thanks!
Hi, do you know whether it is possible to take some courses outside the official modules of Biological Sciences? Is it possible to study language or psychology, etc? Thanks:smile:!
Hi guys, I have just been to an open day for psychology and they said that we all have offers woop! :smile: However whilst at the uni I felt slightly secluded due to being the only northerner there (as I know of, or that I spoke to). Not that I have anything against southerners but I feel as though I may not fit in or meet anyone who has much in common with me and they may think im common due to my accent... Am I just over-thinking this or are there not many other northerners who study at UCL. Everyone seemed a little posh ....
I'm just worried that I will be a loner in London :/
P.s sorry of something under these lines has already been discussed I didn't want to read through 106 pages of comments ...
Original post by uttamo
Thanks man that's reassuring. Do you have any idea of the average (roughly) number of A*s applicants have? (I know it's a s*** question but it does get us worried! :frown:)

I have just been accepted at UCL - I got 1A* (Maths) 7A's 2B's and a C in French... Does this help? I had good results but not brilliant compared to some applicants.
I applied for psychology btw and got AAAA at AS.

I think as long as you have good predicted A level grades and good enough AS grades along with a good personal statement you should be fine :smile:
Reply 2349
Original post by Rachael36
I have just been accepted at UCL - I got 1A* (Maths) 7A's 2B's and a C in French... Does this help? I had good results but not brilliant compared to some applicants.
I applied for psychology btw and got AAAA at AS.

I think as long as you have good predicted A level grades and good enough AS grades along with a good personal statement you should be fine :smile:

Congrats on your offer and thanks for your advice!
Reply 2350
Hi guys, I have just been to an open day for psychology and they said that we all have offers woop! :smile: However whilst at the uni I felt slightly secluded due to being the only northerner there (as I know of, or that I spoke to). Not that I have anything against southerners but I feel as though I may not fit in or meet anyone who has much in common with me and they may think im common due to my accent... Am I just over-thinking this or are there not many other northerners who study at UCL. Everyone seemed a little posh ....
P.s sorry of something under these lines has already been discussed I didn't want to read through 106 pages of comments ...

Well done on your offer :biggrin: Where are you from in the north- I'm from the north too (Durham actually) and I was the only northern person that I can across but that doesn't worry me because at least you are unique and people will find that more interesting.
Reply 2351
I have a more horrible accent (given the fact that English is not my first language) and people usually don't care. I've never experienced any hatred towards anyone coming from anywhere.

My friends come from all over the UK, including the north, but we don't make that kind of distinction between ourselves. Frankly if anyone actively judges you for being from the north they're not worth bothering with.
Thanks for your help guys it has put me slightly at ease as the only thing scaring me about firming my offer is not fitting in...

And I am from a small town in greater Manchester but attend a manchester college.
Reply 2354
Thanks for your help guys it has put me slightly at ease as the only thing scaring me about firming my offer is not fitting in...

And I am from a small town in greater Manchester but attend a manchester college.

MANCHESTER?!?! seriously that is not north :tongue: I live near Newcastle that is north.*
Reply 2355
there's always the 'northern society' i think it's called if you want to find fellow locals. I signed up and never went. It seems too weird and the sort of place to have an attitude like 'us northern people are all hard and we don't wear coats in winter, and everyone else is just a southern fairy'. I'm sure it has it's charms though.
Reply 2356
I'm
Not worrying about being the only northern person or whatever, I'd rather be away from it all and just get on with university life. I don't suppose many people will be that bothered where you come from.
First year internationals are definitely guaranteed of accommodation if we firm UCL and apply for accommodation by 31st of May, right? And we'll just have to make do with the halls they assign for us? Have we no chance to appeal at all?

Also, could anyone please suggest me a few blog/tumblr/whatever links on accommodation at UCL other than the official accommodation page? It's really hard checking out the accommodation using the 360 view thing in UCL's website. Thank you!
Reply 2358
Original post by johnconnor92
First year internationals are definitely guaranteed of accommodation if we firm UCL and apply for accommodation by 31st of May, right? And we'll just have to make do with the halls they assign for us? Have we no chance to appeal at all?

Also, could anyone please suggest me a few blog/tumblr/whatever links on accommodation at UCL other than the official accommodation page? It's really hard checking out the accommodation using the 360 view thing in UCL's website. Thank you!

I'm not sure if I understand your second question, but your halls are chosen by the Accommodation Office and you can't appeal against their decision. However, you can swap your room or bed with someone else.
Original post by johnconnor92

You can only appeal in very specific circumstances - as an example, my boyfriend got given Goldsmid house (£189pw) after putting £120pw as his maximum possible budget, and got changed to Astor after appealing. But money is pretty much the only circumstance here unless you have very specific needs, probably disability related, that they didn't account for.

And yeah, you're guaranteed if you apply by the 31st :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending