The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Can universities take back offers?

I want to ring up UCL and ask them about the specific conditions of my offer and possibly negotiate its terms, but I'm scared that my inquiry might be misconstrued as the inability to achieve it, and that they will rescind the offer to give it to somebody else. But then again, I'm probably way too paranoid. Thoughts?
if they don't mind getting sued
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
I'm pretty sure unless you punch the admissions tutor in the face they can't/won't withdraw the offer. So you've nothing to lose by phoning up, although I wouldn't expect you'll get very far, I've never heard of anyone getting conditions changed.
Reply 3
I think they are allowed to 'take back an offer' but this is only in breach of your 'contract'/breaking your offer conditions.

Asking them about your offer and trying to lower this is completly fine but they will probably just say "no" :L

I tried to do this twice to lower one of my offers but Edinburgh weren't having any of it :L
If it transpires you've lied on your application then yes, for ringing them up to ask a question, no.
You probably won't be able to 'negotiate the terms' of your offer though.
Original post by sykg
I want to ring up UCL and ask them about the specific conditions of my offer and possibly negotiate its terms, but I'm scared that my inquiry might be misconstrued as the inability to achieve it, and that they will rescind the offer to give it to somebody else. But then again, I'm probably way too paranoid. Thoughts?

They won't take back your offer if you do that!

Only if they find out you lied on your UCAS form or copied your personal statement or something like that.
Reply 6
No, you should be fine. There's no harm in trying to negotiate with them and it may be very beneficial, just don't get your hopes up too much. I certainly wouldn't worry about losing your current offer though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending