The Student Room Group

Minimum alcohol price planned for England and Wales - 40p per unit

The government is proposing a minimum price of 40p per unit of alcohol in England and Wales in an effort to stamp out binge drinking.

so what do we think about this? personally i welcome the change :smile:

article below

http://www.theoffshoreonline.com/articles/2012/03/23/minimum-alcohol-price-planned-england-and-wales

Scroll to see replies

Anything to help stop binge drinking and excessive alcohol consumption is welcome by me :smile:
Got a rule implemented because there are some ****tards out there who can't handle their alcohol, thus annoying the responsible types.

**** that.
Reply 3
it should be a function of age and class;

using the formula to calculate the cost per unit U:

U = 6(100 - A)2/3/(7 - C)

Where A is the age at most recent birthday

C is social class ( from 1 to 6 )

thus anyone reaching the age of 100 gets free happy juice;

young people from the dregs of society have to pay more
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
What about the majority who drink sensibly?
Reply 5
I don't, not everyone who likes to get drunk goes out and starts a fight. I've drank a lot of alcohol on a night out on several occassions and I've never been involved in a fight, vandalised property or needed hospital treatment because of it. Personally I think it would be a better idea to put the people who do cause the drain on the police resources etc on tags with curfews, and let the rest of us who are doing nothing wrong enjoy our nights out.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
The recommendations here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15265317

would be a better idea.

On another note, between 2001 and 2009, increases in prices and the closure of many pubs saw beer sales fall by 18%, and spirit sales increased by 18% as people switched to more cost effective means of getting drunk, leading, rather inevitably, to a 25% increase in liver deaths as the hard stuff took its toll.

So how can we stop this trend? By increasing the price of beer further or course!

Wait, what?
Nanny state can feck orf.
Reply 8
Whilst everyone says 'What about us who drink responsibly?', well generally we drink less, so the price is lower anyway, And 40p a unit isn't that bad - can you get a shot of vodka anywhere for 40p in a pub? No. In a 70cl bottle of vodka, there's 30 shots, which, multiplied by 40p = £12. Which is pretty much what you pay for a 70 cl bottle of Smirnoff anyway. If you do drink responsibly, than a 70cl bottle would last you a while anyway.

So it's a great idea.
Good, if it stops people bingedrinking so they are a LAD then they can post phots on facebook or write on facebook how many tequilas they have had because they are such a LAD is fine by me.
Reply 10
Original post by the bear
it should be a function of age and class;

using the formula to calculate the cost per unit U:

U = 6(100 - A)2/3/(7 - C)

Where A is the age at most recent birthday

C is social class ( from 1 to 6 )

thus anyone reaching the age of 100 gets free happy juice;

young people from the dregs of society have to pay more

Examples:

Name_____Age___Social Class_____Occupation____Unit price of alcohol

Darren____19________V_____________Lard Packer_______56.2p

Stacey____28________IV____________Moderator________28.8p

Letitia_____77________II____________Authoress________8.1p

Phillip______92________I____________Prince___________3.3p

Harry______27________I____________Prince___________14.6p

Kev_______18________VI___________ Student_________94.4p

Miles______18________III__________Student___________23.6p
(edited 12 years ago)
But if you're someone who is capable of drinking sensibly, you're also likely someone who can hold down a steady job and tolerate a MINUSCULE price increase.

Also, if you're one of those clearly responsible types who gets smashed all the time and claims they don't cause trouble, and this will end up costing you a lot more, maybe you should, you know, drink less? Thus preserving your health and finances? Would that actually be such a hardship?
Yes that results in lower binge drinking. Has nothing to do with the extra revunue this will bring in in taxes

will it?

not at all?

Thankfully wont effect me for very long, im jumping this sinking ship as soon as possible and heading to a decent country
This is why illegal drugs are best, they are not heavily taxed. In Spain and Italy alcohol is MUCH cheaper but they do not have binge drinking culture. The reason the UK is full of piss heads has absolutely nothing to do with the price of alcohol. This is a way for the government to raise more money.
I thought that the Conservatives were supposed to be against against all this nanny state *******s, silly me!

Although actually it's mainly just Cameron becoming an increasingly authoritarian ****.
I resent this. If people are harming themselves, that's their lookout; the state has no business "protecting" people from their own habits. If people are causing adverse consequences, place sanctions on those consequences; don't try these silly measures and accept the knock-on impact on the majority (and it wouldn't matter to me if it was a minority, so long as it was some people) who drink without causing trouble to anyone.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I resent this. If people are harming themselves, that's their lookout; the state has no business "protecting" people from their own habits. If people are causing adverse consequences, place sanctions on those consequences; don't try these silly measures and accept the knock-on impact on the majority (and it wouldn't matter to me if it was a minority, so long as it was some people) who drink without causing trouble to anyone.

**** em if they have to drink why not put more money in the economy. It might stop binge drinking, stress on taxi drivers, stress on the NHS, stress on doctors. Stress on police, stress on people who just want to enjoy a night out with no trouble.

**** em
(edited 12 years ago)
This is disgusting. It's not going to stop anything and they know that, they're just doing it because they know people will pay the extra so they'll get more money from it. Wtf is wrong with our government.
Reply 18
Eh...I'll just make more alcohol at home.
Reply 19
Can't see it affecting me in the slightest... I was already payin 280p for a pint last weekend. Probably they should cut tax on drinking in pubs and just put poison in bluebottle 'cider'.

Quick Reply

Latest