The Student Room Group

Food and Drink: In That Category These Are Nominated - Overrated and Underrated!

In this thread, I ask you to pick a particular niche, genre, type of food or drinks - and then have the following person name two products they believe are overrated and underrated, with their reasons for choosing!

So one person might say,

"What's Overrated and Underrated in: CHOCOLATE BARS?"

and the following person, should they believe so, might say,

"OVERRATED: YORKIE BARS!

Why? They're just chocolate!

UNDERRATED: CADBURY SNACK!

Why? They're so sparsely available because most people wrongly assume them to be a "boring choice"!

Got it? Easy ol' formula to follow, right? (Well, it WOULD be, it's the basis for about the past 1290748327 food threads I've started).

So let me get us started.

WHAT'S OVERRATED AND UNDERRATED IN: SHARING PACKAGES OF CRISPS?

Scroll to see replies

Overrated: Twiglets. I mean, are they even crisps? My mum gets them EVERY christmas. They're always still there come May..hanging around, gradually going stale, being consistently overlooked in the cupboard. But still, we still buy them? "Everyone loves a twiglet."

Do we?

Underrated: Share size bags of Kettle Chips. Seriously, these are DANGEROUSLY good. Why always opt for the pringle or the Dorito? Give these a go.

OVERRATED AND UNDERRATED IN: Yogurts
Reply 2
OVERRATED: NOM Yoghurts.

Marketed up the yin-yang as this amazing yoghurt dessert, that you can't help but make yummy noises whilst you eat. In reality it's a far, far worse Muller corner.

UNDERRATED: SHAPE Delights.

Usually overlooked in favour of the Muller Lights or Danone 0% Snackpots, Shape Delights are actually tastier and more flavourful than either.

OVERRATED AND UNDERRATED: MCDONALDS ITEMS!
Reply 3
OVERRATED: Chicken nuggets. They're just so disappointing and on the whole pointless.

UNDERRATED: Vanilla milkshakes. NOBODY EVER BUYS THEM! But they're like delicious creamy melted ice cream. People need to partake more frequently I feel.

Over/underrated of...cereals?
:h:

Overrated: Krave & chocolate pillows. They're okay, but they're not LE WOW. Also, golden grahams- I'd heard so much hype about their come back! They're nice, but not OHHolymolyinabowl good.

Underrated; Sultana bran flakes. Yum, moreish, sweet malty goodness with delicious milk at the bottom of la bowl :h:

Over & underrated of...

Supermarket soups?
Reply 5
OVERRATED: Cup-a-Soup.

Everyone in the office hoard these away and protect them like gold dust, and rave about them as being "so good and convenient". They taste like crap and fill like, my little toe up for lunch.

UNDERRATED: Granny's Soups.

It's criminal how underrated and overlooked these are. Some of the most flavourful, substantial soups I have ever tasted outside of home-made and restaurant soups, Granny's is a brand usually resigned to the bottom shelf like some kind of viscous, liquid-dinner leper.

OVERRATED AND UNDERRATED: GREGGS FOOD?
Reply 6
Overrated: Yumyums! Seriously, it's just a bit of dough and some sugar... Keep ya knickers on love!

Underrated: Greggs 70p Ham Rolls. They're simple, but so damn good.

Under and over of sandwich spreads!
Original post by dani_1991
Overrated: Yumyums! Seriously, it's just a bit of dough and some sugar... Keep ya knickers on love!

Underrated: Greggs 70p Ham Rolls. They're simple, but so damn good.

Under and over of sandwich spreads!

Overrated: Chocolate spread. I just DON'T get it. On toast, it's doable. But in bread, it makes me feel quite sick...

Underrated: Mint sauce as a sandwich spread! Pair it with some thick ham, crunchy lettuce. Or my favourite, shredded lamb.

over and under of BISCUITS
OVERRATED: BEN AND JERRY'S!!! Sure it's nice ice cream but there seems to be an increasingly large cult of teenage girls who cry over boys with Ben and Jerry's. If you have just been screwed over by a man, then ridiculousy expensive ice cream will not help you...

UNDERRATED: Peach or Strawberry flavoured Granola Yoghurts. Why are they so delicious?!

OVERRATED AND UNDERRATED: Roast Potatoes. Everyone loves them but they seem to get overlooked most of the time... :frown:
Original post by MelissaJayne
Overrated: Chocolate spread. I just DON'T get it. On toast, it's doable. But in bread, it makes me feel quite sick...

Underrated: Mint sauce as a sandwich spread! Pair it with some thick ham, crunchy lettuce. Or my favourite, shredded lamb.

over and under of BISCUITS

Over: Maryland cookies. Sorry guys, I just don't get what's so special. Pretty sure you could put me in a blind taste test with them and some Sainsburys basics cookies and I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Under: Gold Bars, they're freaking delicious!
Reply 10
Give a suggestion to continue the thread, Gofre?
Original post by TotoMimo
Give a suggestion to continue the thread, Gofre?

Haha sorry :ahee:

erm...

Chinese takeaway options?
Reply 12
OVERRATED: Spring Rolls. I sincerely don't understand why these are one of the staple components of any set menu or starter orders. They are the weakest link in an otherwise incredible smorgasbord of fried starter amazingness.

UNDERRATED: "X with Onions/Mushrooms". Sounds like a boring old dish to have "Beef in Onion" or "Chicken in Mushrooms", certainly not what you'd order as your "treat", but in reality it's one of the most flavourful, tasty options on the menu!!

MOST OVERRATED AND UNDERRATED: FIZZY DRINKS?
Original post by TotoMimo
OVERRATED: Spring Rolls. I sincerely don't understand why these are one of the staple components of any set menu or starter orders. They are the weakest link in an otherwise incredible smorgasbord of fried starter amazingness.

UNDERRATED: "X with Onions/Mushrooms". Sounds like a boring old dish to have "Beef in Onion" or "Chicken in Mushrooms", certainly not what you'd order as your "treat", but in reality it's one of the most flavourful, tasty options on the menu!!

MOST OVERRATED AND UNDERRATED: FIZZY DRINKS?

Overrated: I don't like Dr Pepper. It's the worst that can happen. Apart from like, war..and poverty.

Underrated: Apple Tango. I LOVE this drink. If I were to use calories on a fizzy drink, I think this'd be my option. So tasty.

Over and Under of: KFC options
Reply 14
Overrated: Original recipie chicken. It's often dry and too greasy. Pretty sure it's smaller nowadays as well.

Underrated: Chips. Widely considered the worst fast food chips but they're actually amongst the best and thicker/more potatoey than the others.

Over/Underrated of Microwaveable meal options,
Reply 15
OVERRATED: Innocent Pot Meals.

Seriously, I have never eaten a more expensive pot of blandness in my life.

UNDERRATED: Iceland own brand Ready Meals.

Usually dismissed because they're cheap, some of the most comforting, inventive convenience food I've had are Iceland Ready Meals. Chicken Tikka Lasagne? Cheesy Chips Sausage Beanos? ONE QUID EACH? Hells the yeah!!

OVERRATED AND UNDERRATED: SUBWAY SANDWICH FILLINGS?
Reply 16
Overrated: meatballs! They belong on spaghetti, not in a sandwich where all they do is make my carefully selected bread soggy! I SERIOUSLY don't get the meatball love.

Underrated: tuna melt! I grant It's not very exciting, but have it warm and it's like a hug from inside :smile:

Under and over of kids refrigerated snacks?!
overrated - lunchables. hate! i've never had one i liked, ever... :frown:
underrated - frubes! delicious, relatively healthy, convenient, and can even be stuck in the freezer to make a frozen pop :h:

vegetables?
Reply 18
Overrated - Oreo biscuits

Underrated - Nice biscuits :colone:
Reply 19
OVERRATED: INNOCENT FRUIT SNACKS.

A Frube by any other name, only with the "Innocent" name slapped on it and an extra £2 surcharge for the bother. Infuriating.

UNDERRATED: CHEESESTRINGS ATTACK A SNACK.

Completely overlooked in favour of the lesser Dairylea Lunchables, these are more filling too (despite being for kiddywinklies).

OVERRATED AND UNDERRATED: PIZZAS!

Quick Reply

Latest