The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

I've tip-ex'd out a few errors on my activity log along with the dates at the bottom of each page that got mixed up. That won't matter will it? :confused:
Hey guys!!
Presentation is on the 26th, thats all sorted though....
sort of..
I'm doing an artefact and I apparently have to write an essay at the end of it.
Thats fine, i know how to structure it although, because there is a word count for each section (intro, research analysis etc) do i need to split each section up into headings so they know which bit is which?
Coz in an ideal world I would like to keep it flowing.

Can't bloody wait until this is over. its such a waste of my time but i suppose i need all the tariff points i can get..

good luck with all of yours :biggrin::biggrin:
our teachers at school said that AQA will allow upto 10% to be directly copied quotes off the internet for the EPQ provided that they are referenced properly so credit is given to the author. I have about 8% quotes in my EPQ and have referenced these accordingly. What im not sure about is how to reference researched material properly? My epq is engineering based and is therefore quite scientific in its content. In the essay, where i have researched information from websites and then re-written it in my own words, I have listed a subscript number and then put the website which i researched it from in the bibliography. Is this the right thing to do.

E.g. A website says '90% of all failures of steel can be related to fatigue', I have then rewritten this as ' Fatigue is a huge problem for users of steel and up to 90% of all the failures of steel can be attributed to fatigue [10]. (followed by full harvard referencing in bibliography)

Is that acceptable and if my epq goes to aqa for moderation, will there scanner pick it up as plaigirism or is this the correct way to research. Most of my essay is like this due to the high scientific nature. All my direct quotes are in speech marks and are in bold in the text.

Is this ok as i am very worried about it now? :/
I understand that AQA use Turnitin for doing the plaigirism check on moderated extended project scripts. My question is that because i have used quotes in my project, will the scanner show it as plaigirism and does a person check anything turnitin shows up afterwards against my list of sources as i have listed the source of the quotes in my bibliography so it isnt really plaigirism?
Reply 2604
Hi
Basically my school has given a deadline for this 5000 word essay to complete by next thursday and I've only done 600 words... So I'm crapping a little. My question is that if include articles or quotations of other peices of work (while referencing) will it count towards my 5000 words? Or is that 5000 of my own words in all?

Thank you!
Original post by Jodieeee....
Hey guys!!
Presentation is on the 26th, thats all sorted though....
sort of..
I'm doing an artefact and I apparently have to write an essay at the end of it.
Thats fine, i know how to structure it although, because there is a word count for each section (intro, research analysis etc) do i need to split each section up into headings so they know which bit is which?
Coz in an ideal world I would like to keep it flowing.

Can't bloody wait until this is over. its such a waste of my time but i suppose i need all the tariff points i can get..

good luck with all of yours :biggrin::biggrin:

Good luck with your presentation! :smile:
Original post by Rohaan
Hi
Basically my school has given a deadline for this 5000 word essay to complete by next thursday and I've only done 600 words... So I'm crapping a little. My question is that if include articles or quotations of other peices of work (while referencing) will it count towards my 5000 words? Or is that 5000 of my own words in all?

Thank you!

Using articles/quotations does not make up your 5,000 words-the 5,000 is for the essay piece itself; so what YOU have personally written.
Original post by FallenMan
Using articles/quotations does not make up your 5,000 words-the 5,000 is for the essay piece itself; so what YOU have personally written.

seriously - i thought it included quotations?
Finally finished! Wooooooooooooo
Original post by jamie3009
I understand that AQA use Turnitin for doing the plaigirism check on moderated extended project scripts. My question is that because i have used quotes in my project, will the scanner show it as plaigirism and does a person check anything turnitin shows up afterwards against my list of sources as i have listed the source of the quotes in my bibliography so it isnt really plaigirism?

You should use footnotes to indicate where the quotes came from. It's perfectly fine to use quotes as long as you put the proper credit.
What does everyone think of this question, will I be able to get Primary Information?

"How effective is swearing as a form of pain relief?"
Hey guys, I have to write an essay or produce an artifact for my extended project. I want to base it on forensic science.

Any ideas??:confused:
Perhaps 5000 words on 'the development of forensic science in regard to the Police and the Law' or something like that?

I would definitely suggest talking to your tutor about it, they will be able to help you pick a title that is broad enough for the essay but focused enough to avoid being overwhelmed with information. I assume you would do an essay rather than an artifact if you're doing forensics, but again, speak to your tutor about it.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by shellcoupland1
Any ideas??

Oh and welcome to :tsr:
How about something like how forensics are used in law to aid convictions, or the extend of reliability of a certain forensic technique such as fingerprints, or toolmark impressions/blood splatter or of the like?
thanks for the suggestions :smile:

I will talk to my tutor again but at least now i have some ideas! the development of forensic science could be good if i focus on a specific area. And the idea of reliabilty could come into that? good job guys!
Take it from me, regardless you will have to focus on a specific area; I'm spending the most part of 3 years learning forensics. You only have a few thousand words to discuss an argument.

If you need any help, don't be afraid to ask. Best of luck!
thanks! and wow thats really awesome, do you enjoy it because I am considering a future career in forensics?
Original post by shellcoupland1
thanks! and wow thats really awesome, do you enjoy it because I am considering a future career in forensics?

If you want me to be honest, I'm enjoying some aspects, but the things like crime scene investigation etc I really hate! I only really did this course for the chemistry from an unusual angle. However some of it is very interesting.
hhmmm, yeah I guess some parts could be better than others but then i think i'm doing the chemistry for the forensics instead of the forensics for the chemistry lol
thanks for all the help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest