Scroll to see replies

Reply 6660
Original post by Angury

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 6661
Original post by DebatingGreg
You got the 6666th post in the thread :biggrin:
:laugh: I hope that's not an omen of bad luck, one week before my exams :p:.
Original post by Abiraleft
Reading The Crucible by Arthur Miller at the moment; it's fantastic so far. On which note, there doesn't seem to be a thread on TSR for plays in theatre; are there not many enthusiasts?

Drama fan, checking in. I recently swam through Sheridan's The Rivals, David Rabe's Hurlyburly and Bertolt Brecht's The Life of Galileo.

Perhaps a thread should be started? :biggrin:

Anyway, I'm currently reading Svevo's Zeno's Confessions, John Cleland's Fanny Hill and *still* going through Zola's L'assommoir.
Reply 6663
Original post by Demon_AS

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 6664
Original post by Angury

Spoiler

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Just started to read Jane Eyre - been on my to-read list for far too long.... :smile:
Reply 6666

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 6667
Original post by Angury

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 6668

Spoiler

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6669
Started The Feast of the Goat by Maria Vargas Llosa recently, seems to be excellent so far.
Reply 6670
Original post by Angury

Spoiler

Spoiler

Currently reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak as a way to unwind after finishing my uni work. And my oh my, it's good so far.
Reply 6672

Spoiler

I think Peter Dinklage plays the role of Tyrion brilliantly in the TV series of Game of Thrones. He's captured the character perfectly. Then again, most of the characters in the series are exactly as I imagined them to be; it's probably one of the few adaptions of a book that I enjoy watching. I really need to find a website to find season 2 online though!

I agree with you about LOTR being like a textbook at times. The amount of work Tolkien put into his fictional world is phenomenal, I just need to finish the darn series! :tongue: At the moment I can't think of all the fantasy series' I've read, mostly because I've been reading some non-fantasy books at the moment so that I can open myself to more genres, but many of my favourite fantasy series are the ones I read during my childhood. The Chronicles of Narnia were lovely to read when I was younger, I used to read each book several times.
Have you read the Dark Tower series by Stephen King? I've only read his book It, which wasn't really my type of book, so I decided not to read any more of his novels, until I realised that he'd written a fantasy series! I'm tempted to give them a go and see whether I can get into his style of writing more in a genre that I love.
Another series I loved reading as a child was the Bartimeaus series. Most of my favourite fantasy series' stem from my childhood, so I am trying to get into more grittier stuff; thanks for your suggestions, I'll give some of them a go! Like I said though, at the moment I'm trying to open my mind a little and try out some classics. Have you read the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxay by Dougles Adams? It's very popular, and I've finally managed to get the time to start reading it from where I last finished off. Are you reading anything in particular at the moment? Or has any book caught your eye?
Reply 6673
Original post by Angury
I think Peter Dinklage plays the role of Tyrion brilliantly in the TV series of Game of Thrones. He's captured the character perfectly. Then again, most of the characters in the series are exactly as I imagined them to be; it's probably one of the few adaptions of a book that I enjoy watching. I really need to find a website to find season 2 online though!

I agree with you about LOTR being like a textbook at times. The amount of work Tolkien put into his fictional world is phenomenal, I just need to finish the darn series! :tongue: At the moment I can't think of all the fantasy series' I've read, mostly because I've been reading some non-fantasy books at the moment so that I can open myself to more genres, but many of my favourite fantasy series are the ones I read during my childhood. The Chronicles of Narnia were lovely to read when I was younger, I used to read each book several times.
Have you read the Dark Tower series by Stephen King? I've only read his book It, which wasn't really my type of book, so I decided not to read any more of his novels, until I realised that he'd written a fantasy series! I'm tempted to give them a go and see whether I can get into his style of writing more in a genre that I love.
Another series I loved reading as a child was the Bartimeaus series. Most of my favourite fantasy series' stem from my childhood, so I am trying to get into more grittier stuff; thanks for your suggestions, I'll give some of them a go! Like I said though, at the moment I'm trying to open my mind a little and try out some classics. Have you read the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxay by Dougles Adams? It's very popular, and I've finally managed to get the time to start reading it from where I last finished off. Are you reading anything in particular at the moment? Or has any book caught your eye?

Spoiler

Reply 6674

Spoiler

I didn't realise I came across as being so gruesome. :tongue: I found Stephen King's novels pretty hard to get into, but I always assumed that was because of the type of genre he usually sticks to.. they just weren't the sort of book I'd usually read.

Can you believe that I still haven't finished The Feast of Crows by George Martin?! :redface: I've been so busy with school, I haven't had time to even open it. I really want to get back into the Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxay so I want to get the Feast of Crows finished. I'm starting to agree with what I've heard other people say about the fourth book.. it does drag on a bit. I guess after such an eventful novel like A Storm of Swords, anything would look slow and dreary, but not much has really happened so far.

You're not reading anything at the moment?! Blasphemy! I've been hanging out in the library everyday this week to do revision, but I often get distracted by all the lovely books lying on the shelves just waiting to be opened. :colondollar: I don't know anyone else whose distracted by a library tbh.. most people go to a library to avoid distractions! :tongue: Most of my friends enjoy going shopping for clothes etc, but one of my favourite things to do is walk around a library looking at all the books and learning so many new things. /nerd :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6675
Original post by Angury
I didn't realise I came across as being so gruesome. :tongue: I found Stephen King's novels pretty hard to get into, but I always assumed that was because of the type of genre he usually sticks to.. they just weren't the sort of book I'd usually read.

Can you believe that I still haven't finished The Feast of Crows by George Martin?! :redface: I've been so busy with school, I haven't had time to even open it. I really want to get back into the Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxay so I want to get the Feast of Crows finished. I'm starting to agree with what I've heard other people say about the fourth book.. it does drag on a bit. I guess after such an eventful novel like A Storm of Swords, anything would look slow and dreary, but not much has really happened so far.

You're not reading anything at the moment?! Blasphemy! I've been hanging out in the library everyday this week to do revision, but I often get distracted by all the lovely books lying on the shelves just waiting to be opened. :colondollar: I don't know anyone else whose distracted by a library tbh.. most people go to a library to avoid distractions! :tongue: Most of my friends enjoy going shopping for clothes etc, but one of my favourite things to do is walk around a library looking at all the books and learning so many new things. /nerd :tongue:

Spoiler

Reply 6676

Spoiler

Wait.. you're a medical student?! I've applied to study medicine next year at university! :biggrin: I really can't wait to get started, being independent and all that. :cool: What's it like being a medical student? I can imagine it must get pretty stressful with all that work, but rewarding at the same time knowing that one day you'll be able to make a positive impact on other peoples' lives.

How many books are supposed to be in the Song of Ice and Fire series? As you've said, George Martin is just as bad as Robert Jordan was when it came to releasing books, but at least that gives me plenty of time to read the 4th and 5th novels. Do you watch the TV series as well? I have to wait until someone uploads the season 2 episodes online unfortunately. :frown:
Looking through my bookshelf (which is about to collapse) I just came across another series I loved as a child: A series of unfortunate events. Did you ever read those? They were a bit.. different, but I found the plot to be very engaging. I've completely forgotten what happens at the end though.. I just remember a massive build-up towards it. Another series I used to love reading were the Demonata series and Darren Shan books by Darren Shan. As you've probably guessed, I used to read a lot as a child (to the extent that my parents had to force me to get out of the house), then I stopped suddenly a few years ago. I've been trying to get back into books, but there's just so much I want to read! Do you have much time to read at uni? I've heard a lot of students say that they only have time to read non-fiction books related to their course once they get to uni, but I always make sure I have time to read everyday and I hope that continues.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6677
Original post by Angury
Wait.. you're a medical student?! I've applied to study medicine next year at university! :biggrin: I really can't wait to get started, being independent and all that. :cool: What's it like being a medical student? I can imagine it must get pretty stressful with all that work, but rewarding at the same time knowing that one day you'll be able to make a positive impact on other peoples' lives.

How many books are supposed to be in the Song of Ice and Fire series? As you've said, George Martin is just as bad as Robert Jordan was when it came to releasing books, but at least that gives me plenty of time to read the 4th and 5th novels. Do you watch the TV series as well? I have to wait until someone uploads the season 2 episodes online unfortunately. :frown:
Looking through my bookshelf (which is about to collapse) I just came across another series I loved as a child: A series of unfortunate events. Did you ever read those? They were a bit.. different, but I found the plot to be very engaging. I've completely forgotten what happens at the end though.. I just remember a massive build-up towards it. Another series I used to love reading were the Demonata series and Darren Shan books by Darren Shan. As you've probably guessed, I used to read a lot as a child (to the extent that my parents had to force me to get out of the house), then I stopped suddenly a few years ago. I've been trying to get back into books, but there's just so much I want to read! Do you have much time to read at uni? I've heard a lot of students say that they only have time to read non-fiction books related to their course once they get to uni, but I always make sure I have time to read everyday and I hope that continues.
Yeah, I'm a medic :smile:. Didn't I mentioned that previously? Strange haha. I'm in my final year up in Yorkshire. Where did you apply? It's pretty hard work, being a medic - but it's a calling. So, once you're there, you don't really know any different haha, you just carry on as normal.

I think there's supposed to be only one more ASOIAF book, but God only knows when that one's coming out lol. I actually quite enjoyed the TV Series... can't wait for finals to be over in a month so I can start catching up on all this stuff!

I've not heard of Darren Shan, sadly - any good? I've heard lots of good things of Lemony Snicket, only people were a bit annoyed that some of the mysteries were never solved. That would irritate the pants off me lol, enough that I will not touch those books if I won't finish them knowing the whole story. There's plenty of time - even as a medic - to read non-fiction at uni. It's all about getting your work done and maintaining a good work-life balance. That skill is very difficult, but if you can make it work it's really rewarding.
Has anyone here read The Man who Forgot his Wife by John O'Farrell?

Really enjoyed this and highly recommended.

Original post by Maicccccmannnn
Has anyone here read The Man who Forgot his Wife by John O'Farrell?

Really enjoyed this and highly recommended.

I read The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks. I know it's probably not even remotely analogous but the titles are similar.

:ahee:

Quick Reply