The Student Room Group

Laura Wilson: Britain's first white 'honour' killing victim?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by I-Am-A-Tripod
the guy i was talking to adn the daily mail, wasnt talking about islamic culture, they are spouting about 'asian 'culture. Theres nothing in asian culture that has anything to do with violence within the family, asian families are some of the closest knit families there are.
The point that the daily mail tries to bring up asian culture whenever a crime of that nature comes up but doesnt mention even once about the white eurpoean culture of various criminals we read about on a daily basis shows its blatent idiocy.
You dont think white people dont beat up their girlfriends/wives? You dont have a clue love - try working A&E for a few weeks, thatll open your eyes. equally you dont think those same people wont try and smash a bottle on your face for looking at their girlfriend? These crimes are amny times more common than so called 'honour violence' Im waiting for those tards on this thread to make the same assertions of white european culture to explain those. Hmmm something tells me not to wait to long for that.

I didnt say white people dont beat up their girlfriends. Stop jumping to conclusions. Im well aware it isnt 'asian' culture, however thats whats being described in the post i responded too.

No, you dont have a clue. Stop being so defensive, your ranting wont change my opinion which as I've already said is based on my whole life experience of living neighbourly to these people.

It is in their culture that a girl having a boyfriend or similar is 'spoiling' the families honour. This doesnt happen in 'white'? culture, some women just end up with ******** boyfriend. Domestic violence is very common in Islamic countries etc too, so dont start on that one. Your ranting wont make anyone all of a sudden be deluded and think this isnt a cultural thing at all. It is. Just like binge drinking is apparently british culture. Lots of people do it enough for it to be called 'culture', yet not everyone or even the majority does it. You get me now?
Original post by Chloe xxx
I didnt say white people dont beat up their girlfriends. Stop jumping to conclusions. Im well aware it isnt 'asian' culture, however thats whats being described in the post i responded too.

No, you dont have a clue. Stop being so defensive, your ranting wont change my opinion which as I've already said is based on my whole life experience of living neighbourly to these people.

It is in their culture that a girl having a boyfriend or similar is 'spoiling' the families honour. This doesnt happen in 'white'? culture, some women just end up with ******** boyfriend. Domestic violence is very common in Islamic countries etc too, so dont start on that one. Your ranting wont make anyone all of a sudden be deluded and think this isnt a cultural thing at all. It is. Just like binge drinking is apparently british culture. Lots of people do it enough for it to be called 'culture', yet not everyone or even the majority does it. You get me now?

no, i dont get you -youve just typed 3 paragraphs contradicting yourself. You claim asian culture is to blame for honour violence, then try and pretend violence by white europeans is nothing to do with their culture. Trying to have your cake and eat it.
Doesnt scan.
Reply 62
no, i dont get you -youve just typed 3 paragraphs contradicting yourself. You claim asian culture is to blame for honour violence, then try and pretend violence by white europeans is nothing to do with their culture. Trying to have your cake and eat it.
Doesnt scan.

The culture is to blame for the killing of family members. Thats why it ONLY happens with these people, and not anyone else. Do you see canadians or russians doing this on a regular basis?

your just offended because the term used (which i agree is incorrect) was 'asian'. Your pissed because you think they are tarring all asians. Sometimes thats just the best way to describe what you are talking about. And no, I didnt contradict myself. Getting drunk and fighting it seems is within the culture of some brits. Killing female family members because they've stained the family name is a culture of some 'asians'. It is a cultural thing, no matter where it originates. Please stop denying this.
(edited 12 years ago)
The culture is to blame for the killing of family members. Thats why it ONLY happens with these people, and not anyone else. Do you see canadians or russians doing this?

your just offended because the term used (which i agree is incorrect) was 'asian'. Your pissed because you think they are tarring all asians. Sometimes thats just the best way to describe what you are talking about. And no, I didnt contradict myself. Getting drunk and fighting it seems is within the culture of some brits. Killing female family members because they've stained the family name is a culture of some 'asians'. It is a cultural thing, no matter where it originates. Please stop denying this.

candians and russians kill each other all the time - look at their crime statistics. Im not pissed at any 'name'- the actions of media hyping stories so that retards kick up a fuss about asians, black, immigrants etc is a time old tactic to sell newspapers. There is no fact behind it. honour killing is nothing to do with asian culture, it has happened that an asian women has been killed by a family member, which was sad, what does that prove? nothing. Levi Belfield raped and killed a french student on holiday here, why did he do it? who knows - was it becuase of his white european culture - prove to me it wasnt, seeing you are so certain asian culture 'causes' honour killings.
Reply 64
candians and russians kill each other all the time - look at their crime statistics. Im not pissed at any 'name'- the actions of media hyping stories so that retards kick up a fuss about asians, black, immigrants etc is a time old tactic to sell newspapers. There is no fact behind it. honour killing is nothing to do with asian culture, it has happened that an asian women has been killed by a family member, which was sad, what does that prove? nothing. Levi Belfield raped and killed a french student on holiday here, why did he do it? who knows - was it becuase of his white european culture - prove to me it wasnt, seeing you are so certain asian culture 'causes' honour killings.

This is like talking to a brick wall. Seriously. If you cant see why this particular crime (killing female family members when they've stained the family name), is cultural and happens a lot with 'asian' (loose term there before you get angry) families, communities and in those countries, then you are blind or just deliberately being stupid. You cannot deny this. Levi Bellfied was one sick person, these things happen after a meeting with the whole family, and is often committed by family members. Its completely different.

Honour killing does have something to do with the culture of these people. Just as drinking and sleeping around apparently has something to do with western culture. Stop denying this because your just making yourself look stubborn and one sided.
This is like talking to a brick wall. Seriously. If you cant see why this particular crime (killing female family members when they've stained the family name), is cultural and happens a lot with 'asian' (loose term there before you get angry) families, communities and in those countries, then you are blind or just deliberately being stupid. You cannot deny this. Levi Bellfied was one sick person, these things happen after a meeting with the whole family, and is often

committed by family members. Its completely different.

Honour killing does have something to do with the culture of these people. Just as drinking and sleeping around apparently has something to do with western culture. Stop denying this because your just making yourself look stubborn and one sided.

No you are showing your bias by trying to blame cultre for one crime and then finding excuses for levi belfields crime as if his culture he grew up with had noting to do with it. Its cringeworthy frankly. The people who commit honour crimes are sick people, if you look through whatever cases there have been in the uk - but the daily mail set dont want to admit this, it appeases the auidience better if 'asian culture' is to blame all of a sudden. Why dont you review all the other crimes i listed earlier and give explanations for each of those proving none of them were anything to do with european culture. Im still waiting for that. You wont vecause that is the mindet of the trashy dail mail reader i was referring to earlier.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 66
No you are showing your bias by trying to blame cultre for one crime and then finding excuses for levi belfields crime as if his culture he grew up with had noting to do with it. Its cringeworthy frankly. Why dont you review all the other crimes i listed earlier and give explanations for each of those proving none of them were anything to do with culture. That is the mindet of the dail mail reader i was referring to earlier.

It isnt cringeworthy, is it in british culture to despise/kill women? No, but its in these peoples culture that a woman is bringing severe shame on the family by engaging in certain behaviour. Some go to the lengths of killing the woman, many other women are just disowned. Theres proof allover the net of this. I'm sure if Levi Bellfield had grown up in the West household or similar his 'culture' and way of life might have been blamed for his crimes. There is NO cultural or familial link in his crimes, yet there is with these. I'm not bias, just stating the obvious. If you used a white gang knife murder instead of Levi Bellfield then I would admit culture may have something to do with it. Your being deliberately obtuse and avoiding the obvious for some strange reason.
(edited 12 years ago)
It isnt cringeworthy, is it in british culture to despise/kill women? No, but its in these peoples culture that a woman is bringing severe shame on the family by engaging in certain behaviour. Some go to the lengths of killing the woman, many other women are just disowned. Theres proof allover the net of this. I'm sure if Levi Bellfield had grown up in the West household or similar his 'culture' and way of life might have been blamed for his crimes. There is NO cultural or familial link in his crimes, yet there is with these. I'm not bias, just stating the obvious. If you used a white gang knife murder instead of Levi Bellfield then I would admit culture may have something to do with it. Your being deliberately obtuse and avoiding the obvious for some strange reason.

Thats becuase it isnt obvious - it may be to you becuase you are applying bias. It si not in asian culture to "despise/kill women" either- when you are you going ot get that into your skull. Ive just told you asian culture has nothing in it about violence i the family - asian families are far closer knit than british ones. i know far more than you do, and none of them would do anything like what is described i the daily mail. However for its readers it is easy to swallow lies about another culture, less likely to look at their own in the same way. If you claim one thing about one culture , you cant ignore culture in other cases. that is typical hypocracy. Belfield grew up in white britsh culture to white british parents - his culture is his biggest defining factor - you have no proof WHATSOEVER that his 'culture had nothing to do' with what he did. What about the thousands of other white male rapists and child killers? Is that a coincidence too?

Let me put this to you-white british Paul Gadd went to a different culture in thailand and vietnam and proceeded to serially rape kids -what is your theory on that?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 68
Thats becuase it isnt obvious - it may be to you becuase you are applying bias. It si not in asian culture to "despise/kill women" either-

Stop trying to wind me up, I was referring to LEVI BELFIELDS crimes there, not any asian persons.

when you are you going ot get that into your skull. Ive just told you asian culture has nothing in it about violence i the family - asian families are far closer knit than british ones.

Yes, which is why everything goes on within the family, and preserving the families honour is much more important than it is in the west. Thanks for admitting that finally.

i know far more than you do, and none of them would do anything like what is described i the daily mail. However for its readers it is easy to swallow lies about another culture, less likely to look at their own in the same way. If you claim one thing about one culture , you cant ignore culture in other cases. that is typical hypocracy. Belfield grew up in white britsh culture to white british parents - his culture is his biggest defining factor - you have no proof WHATSOEVER that his 'culture had nothing to do' with what he did. What about the thousands of other white male rapists and child killers? Is that a coincidence too?

I know little about Levi Belfield, but here you are yet again ignoring that this goes on within many families, it is a family honour thing, and it is in 'asian' communities. We know this, you arnt going to convince us any different. Your starting to sound scarily one world far left at the moment. Family honour is very important in these peoples cultures. Thats why there are so many asian women in refuges (hell they have them built ESPECIALLY for asian women in this country) for dishonouring the family. I'm not arguing further with you on this matter, its pointless, we know the facts.

Let me put this to you-white british Paul Gadd went to a different culture in thailand and vietnam and proceeded to serially rape kids -what is your theory on that?

I'd put it to he is a pervert took up in western prostitute punter culture (this is to make you happy as I believe this may be a sub culture in the UK) who went to Thailand etc as he thought he could get away with abuse and pervertion there, as it is a cess pit for western perves looking for cheap sex.

I'm not bias, I am willing to admit cultural problems within any race and continent on the planet, providing it is accurate.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'd put it to he is a pervert took up in western prostitute punter culture (this is to make you happy as I believe this may be a sub culture in the UK) who went to Thailand etc as he thought he could get away with abuse and pervertion there, as it is a cess pit for western perves looking for cheap sex.
I'm not bias, I am willing to admit cultural problems within any race and continent on the planet, providing it is accurate.

Youa re right about that and int thailand, white british males are the most arrssted than all foreign tourists. euqally you dont see african, asian tourists going over there to solicit sex with kids, its europen westerners, generally.

But this is nothing to do with culture becuase the daily mail hasnt written articles saying that.
honour killing however... :rolleyes:
Reply 70
Thats becuase it isnt obvious - it may be to you becuase you are applying bias. It si not in asian culture to "despise/kill women" either- when you are you going ot get that into your skull. Ive just told you asian culture has nothing in it about violence i the family - asian families are far closer knit than british ones. i know far more than you do, and none of them would do anything like what is described i the daily mail. However for its readers it is easy to swallow lies about another culture, less likely to look at their own in the same way. If you claim one thing about one culture , you cant ignore culture in other cases. that is typical hypocracy. Belfield grew up in white britsh culture to white british parents - his culture is his biggest defining factor - you have no proof WHATSOEVER that his 'culture had nothing to do' with what he did. What about the thousands of other white male rapists and child killers? Is that a coincidence too?

I will just say that I do not think this is an asian culture problem, it obviously isnt. I think its a problem from certain sub cultures that tend to come from the asian continent (that is who is always at the centre of these 'honour' killings). You just seem most bothered that the media has put it as 'asian honour killings', when that isnt correct and is a bit stigmatizing to all asian people (I do agree with you on this).

I'm just saying i dont think its an asian problem at all, but the honour problem does stem from certain cultures that happen to come from asia. Im not trying to offend you, I want to discuss these things as my main concern in life is womens welfare.
Daily Mail? L
Reply 72
Youa re right about that and int thailand, white british males are the most arrssted than all foreign tourists. euqally you dont see african, asian tourists going over there to solicit sex with kids, its europen westerners, generally.

But this is nothing to do with culture becuase the daily mail hasnt written articles saying that.
honour killing however... :rolleyes:

Well, I've met a few men who have visited Thailand for these reasons before, and they are all similarly creepy and pervy. Their excuse is usually that prostitutes there are a lot cheaper than over here. I think its disgusting and an abuse of women, I do however have no idea how to stop this. I think that these sort of places attract the sickest and most perverted of western men for the cheap sex.

Have you got any sources to prove brits cause more sexual offences there than africans or asians? Im just asking im not saying it isnt true.

I dont think the papers can really link it to culture in any way, its a perverted man sort of thing and not a thing decided by the whole family on the basis a person has shamed it. These men dont tend to go about these activities with their families, friends or other people they know of the same 'culture' and race, more talk about it with fellow perverts online etc. I do see your point, but I do think the honour killings can be obviously more linked to culture than perverted men traveling abroad for cheap sex.
(edited 12 years ago)
I will just say that I do not think this is an asian culture problem, it obviously isnt. I think its a problem from certain sub cultures that tend to come from the asian continent (that is who is always at the centre of these 'honour' killings). You just seem most bothered that the media has put it as 'asian honour killings', when that isnt correct and is a bit stigmatizing to all asian people (I do agree with you on this).

I'm just saying i dont think its an asian problem at all, but the honour problem does stem from certain cultures that happen to come from asia. Im not trying to offend you, I want to discuss these things as my main concern in life is womens welfare.

well at least you have engaged your brain rather now than letting the daily mail do your thinking for you. of course there are asians that break the law, are criminals, like anyone else, i have met guys i would describe as proper thugs that are asian, but i can say i have never met any that has hit a woman. i have 2 white english/scottish girls in my family my cousins having married and they fit right in.
But stung by Zac’s rejection of her and their child, Laura decided to confront the men’s families and told them she’d had sexual relations with both men.

Why was she confronting the families? What do the parents have to do with the 'love triangle'? I can understand if she was going to ask for some sort of support for the child... but otherwise that was the dumbest thing ever.
Reply 75
well at least you have engaged your brain rather now than letting the daily mail do your thinking for you. of course there are asians that break the law, are criminals, like anyone else, i have met guys i would describe as proper thugs that are asian, but i can say i have never met any that has hit a woman. i have 2 white english/scottish girls in my family my cousins having married and they fit right in.

I dont let DM think for me, a lot of the time the journalist is that backward they get simple dates and words mixed up. Anyone who read the article from the woman whos nan was conceived on the Titanic will know what I'm on about :biggrin:

It is good that in your family (I dont have a clue where you are from or what religion you are) have accepted white girls into their family. I find foreign families who are accepting like this (and there are quite a lot of them about) to be lovely. I find it fantastic as the obvious societal view is that they dont, and anything proving this wrong is saintly to me. You might not think it but I am heavily for the integration of all peoples from all communities. I dont wish anyone to be deported as I think a better solution (albeit idealistic) is to integrate everyone and for all people to be tolerant.

It is important however that issues like 'honour' killing are addressed, as it does bother a lot of people from this part of the world and generally we do want people to be civilised etc. The best way is to address the actual particle the issues stem from, rather than just labeling it an 'asian' honour crime or similar which just offends people or gives others the wrong impression. Of course criminals come about in all races, there will be paedos, rapists, murderers from everywhere. But when a certain crime is heavily linked and prevails profoundly in a certain community it is ignorant to ignore why it might occur.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 76
Original post by digitalfever
Why was she confronting the families? What do the parents have to do with the 'love triangle'? I can understand if she was going to ask for some sort of support for the child... but otherwise that was the dumbest thing ever.

If you read more into the case, you'll find she was in love with the lad who killed her and had been for a while and he kept her a secret from his family, the other guy also had a baby with her friend who he supported and his family knew about this, but refused to acknowledge Lauras baby, he also 'shook her violently' and pleaded with her not to tell his family about the child. She told them because she was sick of being used and them hiding from their responsibility/s.

yes clearly it was a dumb thing to do, she was only 17 with a 3 month old baby and ended up dead.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 77
If you read more into the case, you'll find she was in love with the lad who killed her and had been for a while and he kept her a secret from his family, the other guy also had a baby with her friend who he supported and his family knew about this, but refused to acknowledge Lauras baby, he also 'shook her violently' and pleaded with her not to tell his family about the child. She told them because she was sick of being used and them hiding from their responsibility/s.

This is yet another strawman argument I believe to avoid the famililal cultural issues behind this case.

Sounds just like the stories I see everyday on The Jeremy Kyle show.
Reply 78
Original post by fitzy.
Sounds just like the stories I see everyday on The Jeremy Kyle show.

Yeah, I thought that too.

What you are referring to is muslim culture- that is not synomous with 'asian' culture. Islamic culture is exported arabic tradtions superimposed on local beliefs. If you look at all the honour killings that have been publisised in the media, you will see that 95% or so relate to islamic peoples. This is becuase isalm does teach it is acceptable to discipline your wives with violence and that she is suppossed to be subservient inside the house to the husbands demands for sex etc. Additionally and more common, women arnt allowed to mix with men who are not muslim AT ALL- it is seen to muslims as the road to apostacy-and therefore an embarasment to their family. hence why many muslims kill duaghters that go out with non muslims.

Quick Reply

Latest