The Student Room Group

Loughborough Banking Degree, good enough for IB?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I did Economics at a Swiss university.
Who gives a damn about your degree these days. You could do marketing for all HR care as long as you have a name university on your CV.

Theology (Camb) FO at Goldman? Yes it happens but so does Economics (Camb). You have politics, sociology, history, law students all over the city at big banks and you are worried about your degree?

Ok, so an economics degree from London South Bank wont cut it but it depends on how bad you want it.
Reply 22
Original post by sarah1345
It's not a 'mickey mouse' degree, I'm sure it will still contain a fair amount of Maths, as it is a BSc, however, there will probably be options available for those unable to do the maths, I wouldn't advise taking the 'easy' options, as employers will be interested to see what modules you took, and flags will be immediately raised when they find out you've taken non-mathematical modules for what is essentially a finance degree.

BSc means nothing in relation to how much maths is in the degree. While this may have some 'difficult' maths, there are other Loughborough degrees that are BSc and have the maths level of GSCE C grading.
Reply 23
Just pointing it out but LSE is one of the few universities that publicly admit they dont favour resits. I dont think even oxbridge does that. Are you in AS or A2 btw?
I got an offer for economic history at LSE and I will confirm it. I think it is definitely a very good course if u want to go into IB. It does not only depend on what exactly u are learning, furthermore it is important that u learn to think analytical, critical and "outside of the box" haha. also if u get into that course and u manage to survive, it shows that u can work very hard! And I think IBs want to have people who work very hard, focused and can "analyze" with a critical view. I did not choose the subject, because I want to go into IB, I am just passionated about the subject and got my German Abitur with related subjects.
Reply 25
how do you know that 40% went into analyst jobs, can you give me the link.
Original post by Spurious
Banking, but I already semi-graduated. I am just too lazy to finally hand in my thesis.

That's exactly the kind of person they want in Banking...

Oh wait. :colonhash:
Original post by hassi94

I think they would prefer someone from Yorkshire. The accent must go down well with clients.
Reply 28
Original post by fail@maths
I think they would prefer someone from Yorkshire. The accent must go down well with clients.

haha this is Amazing.
Reply 29
where did you find that 40% of economic history grads go into banking? you said this in your other post.
Reply 30
Original post by hassi94

I get along well with my colleagues and havent been fired yet, so maybe they do (but maybe they dont and it will backfire soon).

90% of the people on here try to be someone else. For 100 people working in banking, there are 105 personalities.
Don't want to diss the degree or anything, just to point out some things.

None of those are front office jobs at BBs, except the GS one. Nordea Economist is also banking though. S&P and Moody's aren't banks.

And if you were the one saying take this over Cass, why? Cass places a lot better than this at the top end...
Reply 32
thanks for that.

Original post by Teenage Pirate
Don't want to diss the degree or anything, just to point out some things.

None of those are front office jobs at BBs, except the GS one. Nordea Economist is also banking though. S&P and Moody's aren't banks.

And if you were the one saying take this over Cass, why? Cass places a lot better than this at the top end...

is there a way for you too prove that Cass is better it also says that average starting salary for exohist grad was £30,000 in 2009 which is good.

also this is careers for straigh economics at lse is there more FO jobs?

Abbey Sales Development Consultant
ABN AMRO Analyst-Investment Banking
AIESEC UK Business Development Manager
Alliance & Leicester Analyst
Asymmetric Capital Management Junior Analyst
Bank of England Analyst
Barclays Capital Client Evaluations Executive/ Analyst
Barclays Global Investors Business Analyst
Barclays Financial Advisor
BDO Stoy Hayward Trainee Chartered Accountant
Bear Stearns Sales Assistant
Benfield Group Reinsurance Trainee
Blackstar Analyst
BNP Paribas Junior Structurer In Credit Trading
Boston Consulting Group Research Analyst
BP Oil 1st Trading Graduate
British Council Teacher
Cambridge Econometrics Applied Economist
Citigroup Junior Accountant; Trader; Analyst; Equity Research
CRA International Analyst
Credit Suisse Banking Analyst/ Trader
David & Stone Office Administrator
DBS Bank (HK) LTD Advisory Sales
Deloitte Associate; Junior Accountant; Analyst; Corporate Advisor
Delta Private Equity Partners Associate
Department of Health Assistant Economist
Department of Trade and Industry Assistant Economist
Deskdemon.com Journalist/ Researcher
Deutsche Bank Associate; Analyst
Dresdner Kleinwort Wasserstein Research Analyst
DTI Assistant Economist
European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company (EADS) Manager Marketing Intelligence
Ermgassen & Co Intern
Ernst & Young Associate; Trainee Actuary; Audit Associate; Research Associate; Business Advisor; Trainee Accountant; Economic Analyst
Financial Services Authority Associate
Financial Times Corporate Operations Executive
Grant Thornton Tax Trainee
Global Radio News China Programming Director
Goldman Sachs Bonds analyst; Financial analyst; Economic analyst; Operations analyst;
Teach First (Greenwich Borough) Mathematics Teacher
Hastings Direct Insurance Agent
Higham Group Calculations Technician
Hindu Business Line Trainee Reporter
HM Treasury Assistant Economist
House of Lords Researcher
HSBC Customer Services Officer; Trainee trader/analyst
Ice Cap Ltd Commercial Analyst
Inland Revenue Statistical Analyst
Institute for Fiscal Studies Economist
John Lewis Buying Assistant
JP Morgan Analyst; Sales & Marketing Analyst; Intern; Trader
Kassim Lakha Samvir Abdulla ACA Trainee
Kendall Wadley Trainee Accountant
Kingsley Stretton Ltd Letting Agent
KPMG Accounting Analyst; Consultant; Tax or Audit Assistant; Trainee Accountant
Lancashire County Council Technical Administrator
LECG Research Analyst
Lehman Brothers Analyst
London Business School Research Assistant
London Economics Research Assistant
LSE Enterprises Project manager
LSE Students Union General Secretary of the Students Union
Marble Bar Asset Management Research Assistant
Marks and Spencer Graduate Commercial Manager Trainee
McKinsey Business Analyst
Mediacom Trainee Econometrician
Mercer Oliver Wyman Consultant
Merrill Lynch Equity Arbitrage Sales; Analyst; Investment Banker; Foreign Exchange Analyst
Monetary Authorities Singapore Trainee Officer - Singapore Government
Monitor Group Consultant
Moore Europe Capital Management Assistant Portfolio Manager - Hedge Fund
Morgan Stanley Analyst trader; Project Assistant
N M Rothschild & Sons Investment Banking Analyst
National Archives Business & Communications Assistant
National Institute for Economic and Social Research Research Officer
National Probation Service Administrator
NM Roth Analyst
Office of Fair Trading Researcher/ Policy Analyst
Office of National Statistics Economist; Researcher
pH Group Junior Consultant
Price Waterhouse Cooper Assistant Consultant; Economist; Associate; Tax Assistant/Consultant; Trainee Chartered Accountant; Auditor
Proctor & Gamble Account Manager
Richards Bailey Investor Relations Administrator
Royal Air Force Officer (pilot)
Royal Bank of Scotland Graduate Trainee - Market Analyst
Royal Courts Accounts Clerk
RSM Robinson Rhodes Financial Auditors
SG Hambros Investment Management Assistant
Shearn, Delamore and Co Advocate and solicitor
Shell Analyst
Signet Allocator
South Wales Police Force Business Development Officer
Standard Chartered Associate; Lending Assistant
Stena Bulk Analyst
UBS Wealth Management Operation; Investment Banker/Analyst
UK Competition Commission Economic Researcher
Wanadoo Customer Service Provider
Washington Square Investment Management Credit Analyst
West LB AG London Executive
Original post by fail@maths

See this doesn't have much effect on me because I don't have a yorkshire accent...
Original post by non
thanks for that.

is there a way for you too prove that Cass is better it also says that average starting salary for exohist grad was £30,000 in 2009 which is good.

also this is careers for straigh economics at lse is there more FO jobs?

if you can't spot the FO jobs in that you're probably not really banking material yet. have a read on what an FO job actually is instead of just deciding "I want it because it pays well"
Reply 35
Original post by Teenage Pirate
if you can't spot the FO jobs in that you're probably not really banking material yet.

This kind of reasoning is probably the dumbest, yet most used on here.

There is no causal connection between the two things.
If you can name every front office role, you are not more qualified than someone else, because no one in the entire bank cares if you can.

I would guess that there is a good portion of people working in the different banks, who had no ****ing idea about the job they were applying to and yet still got it.

Regarding the list of roles:
Economic history has not a single one on there, that I would be interested in doing. I guess that kinda proves my thought, that the course is really bull****.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by Spurious
This kind of reasoning is probably the dumbest, yet most used on here.

There is no causal connection between the two things.
If you can name every front office role, you are not more qualified than someone else, because no one in the entire bank cares if you can.

I would guess that there is a good portion of people working in the different banks, who had no ****ing idea about the job they were applying to and yet still got it.

Regarding the list of roles:
Economic history has not a single one on there, that I would be interested in doing. I guess that kinda proves my thought, that the course is really bull****.

it may not give as good employment prospects as straight economics which i have listed above, but economics requires A*AA at a level including A level maths. on the other hand economic history is only AAB and doesn't require maths. so obviously economics is better but i think economic history is a very good course for career prospects for only AAB at A level.
Reply 37
Original post by non
it may not give as good employment prospects as straight economics which i have listed above, but economics requires A*AA at a level including A level maths. on the other hand economic history is only AAB and doesn't require maths. so obviously economics is better but i think economic history is a very good course for career prospects for only AAB at A level.

Mate, that's just not how it works.
Reply 38
Original post by Hackett
Mate, that's just not how it works.

explain.
Reply 39
No, Research is a back office role.
Front Office makes money, back and middle office support them. Hence, Research is a back office role.

And back office is not a bad thing or anything. It's just not as rewarding in my opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest