The Student Room Group

Maths Uni Chat

Scroll to see replies

I take it you are very new to mathematics?
Original post by pappymajek
how many of you mathematicians actually have time to enjoy mathematics outside the endless problem sheets you're given at uni? I thought university was meant to be about independent learning not being forced to go through loads of problem sheets-some are good but many are pointless.

My point is that I feel problem sheets are getting in the way of my learning of mathematics-I think Einstein says it all-"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education".

The problem sheets ARE the mathematics.
feel like burying my head in the sand due to my degree :sigh:
Original post by cpdavis
feel like burying my head in the sand due to my degree :sigh:

A forum assistant receiving warning points.....what has the world of TSR come to :p:
Well, on problem sheets. All I've been doing them are problem sheets and decided not to pay attention to lectures.

So just feels like I'm looking at a problem sheet all the time.

Does anyone know a nice way to do Hatchers section 0 problem 5 question without using the tube lemma?
Reply 7485
how many of you mathematicians actually have time to enjoy mathematics outside the endless problem sheets you're given at uni? I thought university was meant to be about independent learning not being forced to go through loads of problem sheets-some are good but many are pointless.

My point is that I feel problem sheets are getting in the way of my learning of mathematics-I think Einstein says it all-"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education".

They are only pointless if they are obvious in which case they should take no time at all. Otherwise, you are bound to learn something trying to solve them and how you learn that something is completely up to you - i.e. independent learning.

Unless you have to write up the answers to the problems and hand them in - you could just treat them as a guide to the kind of thing you are expected to know. Then you just go off and do your independent learning with that in mind.

You're very naive. University mathematics, like most other degrees, are about doing the problem sheets over and over to ace the exams, in order to get a 1st/2.1 to get an unrelated (albeit well paying) job afterwards. Heck, some don't really 'do' them per se ... some just memorise the solutions.

There is no romanticism, true learning, or education involved when you're in the governmental system of qualifications fishing. It's hoop jumping. The clued up people know this and succeed. The naive people (me, you) typically don't.
Original post by Physics Enemy
You're very naive. University mathematics, like most other degrees, are about doing the problem sheets over and over to ace the exams, in order to get a 1st/2.1 to get an unrelated (albeit well paying) job afterwards. Heck, some don't really 'do' them per se ... some just memorise the solutions.

There is no romanticism, true learning, or education involved when you're in the governmental system of qualifications fishing. It's hoop jumping. The clued up people know this and succeed. The naive people (me, you) typically don't.

I may be naive but i think some of the problem sheet questions are so pointless-the answers are so obvious but they are very tedious as to take so much of my precious time that I could spend learning other things. I understand mathematics is about problem solving but it shouldnt become "death by problem sheets"! I presently get 4 problem sheets every week-all assessed and I still have a project on modelling as well as a mini-project on statistics to do alongside. I just think this is too much for a first year. Oh well, i guess i just have to wait till I get to the stage when I choose modules that I truly enjoy. I really love mathematics but presently, my learning is restricted only to problem sheets. There has to be a balance between spenidng time on problem sheets and actually spending more time reading the underlying concepts to get the big picture of mathematics.
I may be naive but i think some of the problem sheet questions are so pointless-the answers are so obvious but they are very tedious as to take so much of my precious time that I could spend learning other things. I understand mathematics is about problem solving but it shouldnt become "death by problem sheets"! I presently get 4 problem sheets every week-all assessed and I still have a project on modelling as well as a mini-project on statistics to do alongside. I just think this is too much for a first year. Oh well, i guess i just have to wait till I get to the stage when I choose modules that I truly enjoy. I really love mathematics but presently, my learning is restricted only to problem sheets. There has to be a balance between spenidng time on problem sheets and actually spending more time reading the underlying concepts to get the big picture of mathematics.

i get five of them +2 projects on a computer program.
they are not suppose to take all of your time, the better you are the less they take.
Reply 7489

If the answers are so obvious it shouldn't take so long to do :colone:

I don't like having to rewrite my solutions for handing in, but it makes me write everything out properly so I know that what i'm doing is correct. By doing this you get to see for yourself if you understand even the most subtle of points, without it you may not notice some of these subtleties.

You get used to it.
I found first year harder then second.
Keep at it.
Original post by moritzplatz
i get five of them +2 projects on a computer program.
they are not suppose to take all of your time, the better you are the less they take.

thank you neggers...
Original post by moritzplatz
thank you neggers...

negged for questioning negs
Original post by Oh I Really Don't Care

thanks, at least people won't become better at math by negging me.

i guess i'll gain some more negs here, saddest moment of my day :frown:
I'm in the process of planning my presentation in "dynamical systems" quite excited for it actually :h:

This is my most common reason for negging
Original post by tommm
This is my most common reason for negging

my most common one is the power of random.

prsom
I've finally sort of planned my presentation :woo:
Reply 7498
3rd year exams next term.

my, the time has flown by
Original post by around
3rd year exams next term.

my, the time has flown by

Just 71 days! Suppose 15 of them yield to CATAM, then that's just 56 days. If you prepare say 8 courses then that's just 7 days per course.

Quick Reply

Latest