The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sarah1345
Hmm, if I went into Law it would be property law most probably, but I guess I'd still need to do GDL, and even then I'm not guaranteed to make it big, Law is very competitive! aha, so well done! Do you think Banks/insurance/management consultancy firms/financial services, would be open to me? Considering I'm doing Hist/Econ? :s I heard there are loads of History grads in financial services; an industry I'd like to enter.

Do you know how many graduates actually get onto graduate schemes at Manchester through the top 100 graduate employers? Surely there won't be many places considering they recruit elsewhere, added to the fact that generally the largest firms take on a maximum of 50 grads per year?

Definitely keep an open mind about all sorts of things until you get to uni, after about 6 months you realise you were utterly clueless about most things beforehand haha. For example, before uni I had never heard of any of the firms I have internships with. With the Econ side you would be able to enter the financial services but you need really good maths for it. Most of the job routes you've listed don't specify degrees so much but they will have things such as online numerical reasoning tests when you apply. I don't think it would be possibly to find out statistics like that. The 'employment 6 months after graduation' thing can sometimes be quite misleading as many people travel immediately after graduation or have to undertake some form of extra training. You are not guaranteed to get something as it is competitive but by going to Manchester you are actually in with a shot! If you get the grades and the skill they are looking for then you will be in with an equal shot compared to students from other unis they recruit from. It's hard to say really but in my year, all the people who get involved and have good extra-curriculars and good grades seem to have done quite well in securing work placements etc. The people who complain are always the ones who haven't actually put much effort in themselves. I saw someone ask above if the careers service can 'get you a placement', no they can't, they are there to help you. You yourself can get a placement if you go to the careers service and use their resources. I'd say Manchester gives you the opportunities you need to succeed and it is up to you what you take from it.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 61
i don't attend manchester and i didn't even apply, but i have heard from so many people that the teaching there is simply terrible
Original post by Blondie_Florence
I'm currently a second year and am testament to the fact that Manchester is extremely good for employment prospects, I have three summer internships lined up. Because Manchester is such a huge university it is targeted heavily by employers from all industries. I also agree with people's posts that the careers service is excellent. Also, going to Manchester can actually be an advantage in employment terms than going to say Oxbridge as you also have the time to take part in a lot of extra-curriculars and develop skills that employers look for. A 2.1 from Oxbridge won't actually get you that far in employment terms if you can't demonstrate any skills such as team work etc.

I get annoyed at some people who complain about Manchester to be honest, and these are probably the people who fill in the surveys. The people who complain tend to be the ones who aren't getting fantastic grades but want to blame everything but themselves. On my course this seems to happen with two types of people; the lazy ones who never turn up to anything and then get annoyed it is not all recorded and available online and then some international students who put in the work but seem less familiar with UK examination styles. The thing is people then just complain that the teaching isn't good enough etc. which isn't true. You can guarantee these people haven't attended things such as essay writing workshops and exam technique sessions that are advertised. They will then blame the fact that they didn't know about these sessions but honestly we are all adults and it does not take much effort to go looking for these things yourself.

So my vote is - legal tables are rubbish, the only thing that actually matters is job prospects. Welcome to the real world.

Thanks for the reply. Good to know that the job prospects are decent. Any ideas on the banking jobs and how targetted manc is for those?
I should be firming really soon then :smile:
Reply 63
Original post by iamlovinit05
Thanks for the reply. Good to know that the job prospects are decent. Any ideas on the banking jobs and how targetted manc is for those?

IB is hard to say I've known people who have got internships with them etc but the general consensus of the IB forums is that those at Manchester don't have a chance
Original post by Davidosh
IB is hard to say I've known people who have got internships with them etc but the general consensus of the IB forums is that those at Manchester don't have a chance

Damn, even at the smaller firms? That would suck if thats the case, Investment banking is what I'm interested in.
Reply 65
Wow cheers for that. So from the sounds of things, MAJOR improvements will be made for September 2012? And there will be 15 hours teaching a week? How many lectures could I expect for Modern History with Economics [BA]?

The improvements are already taking place, there's just more to come. Regarding the 15h/week, I'm afraid this is only valid for the Modern History side of the programme you're interested in, I have no idea what the Economics department policy is. If you have an even split, you can probably look at something like 6 20 credits modules, 3 in History and 3 for Economics. As it stands, you'd get a minimum of 2h/20 credits modules (I think, that'd be a lecture and a seminar/tutorial), so a minimum of 12h of tuition a week, but this can vary depending on whether you take 10 credits courses, and by how much the History department decides to increase the amount of contact hour (probably 3/4h, so you'd easily reach 15h/week in total).

Original post by arbaaz
Personally i have had no experience with manchester uni as im not a student there. but i read a blog of a guy who was a medic there and he hated every minute of it. apparently after the first year they leave you to fend for yourself and the administration side of it is really bad... just what i heard :smile:

Someone who's not happy is bound to look for the worse in things. Furthermore, the SAHC is hardly anything like Medicine, there's nowhere near as many students, nor is Medicine a course that resembles any other uni degree.

But I find people on TSR forums to be full of hot air a lot of the time, according to the law one I had zero chance in most of the law firms. The ones dishing out all the advice you realise are not always the successful ones. Interestingly, every single one of the top ten investment banks holds recruitment events at Manchester so they must have at least some interest in the students.

Edit: I'm not disagreeing with Davidosh entirely though. He says knows people who have to internships - exactly my point, it is possible. If you go to Oxbridge etc. you might find it a little easier but these are the top banks so it makes sense that only a few people each year from Manchester will get in. What I mean though is that these banks do actively recruit from Manchester and I'm guessing the people on this thread are choosing between Manchester and other similar unis (if they got in to LSE for example there'd be no contest) and so in their situation Manchester could be a good shout. Get the grades, join all the right societies, attend the presentations and you have a shot. I think a sneaky advantage Manchester has over somewhere similar such as Leeds/Newcastle is the reputation of Manchester Business School which brings in a lot of perks such as good funding for finance related societies etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
But I find people on TSR forums to be full of hot air a lot of the time, according to the law one I had zero chance in most of the law firms. The ones dishing out all the advice you realise are not always the successful ones. Interestingly, every single one of the top ten investment banks holds recruitment events at Manchester so they must have at least some interest in the students.

Thats good news then! If they hold recruitment events means it cant be that bad then! thanks :smile:
Reply 68
Thats good news then! If they hold recruitment events means it cant be that bad then! thanks :smile:

We used to be the university employers were the most interested in. Now we've dropped to 3rd, but there are tonnes of job fairs, graduate fairs, banking fairs, law fairs, etc, all year long.

80% of the graduate intake at the bulge bracket banks come from Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, Warwick and UCL..That should tell you that there's a chance albeit it a lesser chance than those at the aforementioned universities.
Original post by Sam1309
According to QS world ranking 29th, the only higher ranking British universities are Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, UCL and Edinburgh

You forgot King's College London, which ranks 27th.
Reply 71

Edit: I'm not disagreeing with Davidosh entirely though. He says knows people who have to internships - exactly my point, it is possible. If you go to Oxbridge etc. you might find it a little easier but these are the top banks so it makes sense that only a few people each year from Manchester will get in. What I mean though is that these banks do actively recruit from Manchester and I'm guessing the people on this thread are choosing between Manchester and other similar unis (if they got in to LSE for example there'd be no contest) and so in their situation Manchester could be a good shout. Get the grades, join all the right societies, attend the presentations and you have a shot. I think a sneaky advantage Manchester has over somewhere similar such as Leeds/Newcastle is the reputation of Manchester Business School which brings in a lot of perks such as good funding for finance related societies etc.

I don't think I could have put it better myself.
Reply 72
Probably already said but just saying it. My friend did history and english, and said most of time is self study reading. So maybe that's why contact time seems poor?
Original post by Tsunami2011
80% of the graduate intake at the bulge bracket banks come from Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, Warwick and UCL..That should tell you that there's a chance albeit it a lesser chance than those at the aforementioned universities.

I see. Where did you get these stats from? thank!
Reply 74
Original post by Tsunami2011

That is because 80% of the good people go to those unis.

I severely doubt that if guy A goes to Imperial that he would have statistically significantly less chances if he had gone to Manchester.

ps of course the were will be some jobs that only oxbridge people will get, or LSE has networking advantages, but overall saying 80% come from those unis is misleading selection bias.
Reply 75
I don't think I could have put it better myself.

Hey, could I get into management consultancy/business strategy with a hist with econ degree?
Reply 76
Original post by ChampEon
You forgot King's College London, which ranks 27th.

So I did! My bad :colondollar:
I have to admit that I am beginning to panic a little as I firmed Manchester, as I did like it when I visited it but then I looked at the Guardian league table for Philosophy, the subject I've applied to do and it's so low down on the list it really has panicked me. It even comes lower than Manchester Met which I find to be quite odd, I know this is rated on student satisfaction mostly but honestly now I'm really not sure what to do. I've read the thread and so the stuff about them attempting to change. But is the teaching really that bad at the moment? I'm really worried.
Reply 78
Original post by likeanexorcism
I have to admit that I am beginning to panic a little as I firmed Manchester, as I did like it when I visited it but then I looked at the Guardian league table for Philosophy, the subject I've applied to do and it's so low down on the list it really has panicked me. It even comes lower than Manchester Met which I find to be quite odd, I know this is rated on student satisfaction mostly but honestly now I'm really not sure what to do. I've read the thread and so the stuff about them attempting to change. But is the teaching really that bad at the moment? I'm really worried.

In some departments it is but I personally think the satisfaction data is completely skewed at Manchester for reasons I've listed somewhere on this thread.

Philosophy if it's part of humanities or social science not quite sure which should be fine, I'm in social science and have always been happy with the level of teaching that I have received.
Reply 79
Hey, could I get into management consultancy/business strategy with a hist with econ degree?

hey Sarah , am has am 21 and we ll be attending the university of Manchester for a msc in financial economics next September 2012....are u starting an undergraduate study there or a postgraduate one?.....ive been accepted at univ of glasgow,univ of nottingham, univ of birmingham, univ of leeds and the univ of manchester...do u think i will be making the right choice by attending the univ of manchester???

Latest

Trending

Trending