The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

The official 'Glasgow is my firm!' thread 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by wavve
i put queen margaret as my first choice, then murano small and murano large. what about everyone else? :biggrin:

I put CX single first (naturally I am hoping to get it :smile: ), then murano large and murano small :smile:
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 61
As I've said in the accommodation topic - CX single first, then Murano small and Murano large. :smile:
Original post by wavve
i put queen margaret as my first choice, then murano small and murano large. what about everyone else? :biggrin:

Murano large, then Murano small, and others are pretty much random. Murano all the way :biggrin:
Reply 63
i wish for the life of me i could remember when i was at the uni what accomodation it was that i got a tour of, cause it was mouldy and smelled damp haha :frown:!
Reply 64
Original post by andriis
Same situation here. Edinburgh obviously don't like EU student, I don't know a single person from my country (Hungary) who has been accepted. But I always preferred Glasgow over Edinburgh - cheaper city, warmer atmosphere/community, and my course is ranked higher there.
Btw magenta1, I'm actually a prospective accounting student myself. :smile: (Accountancy with Languages BAcc)
According to their website, the university has an international student rate of 13% (I'm not sure if this number includes EU students outside the UK, but probably doesn't) plus erasmus exchange students.

Really? I thought Edinburgh was more international than Glasgow :O I like Glasgow as a city more I guess, but I like Edinburgh the uni more so :/ Accoutancy ftw :smile: Did you go to the post offer day in March? So what's your first choice and where did you reply to? :smile:
Reply 65
just got my st.andrews and edinburgh rejection both in a row. Im an EU student too, and was quite over the minimum requirements. It just angers me so extremely that i worked hard for my grades, waited about 5 months from ucas to get rejected. Lovely Glasgow replied after 2 days, and I suppose it is my best option at the moment. Top 100 world university (59).
Reply 66
I'm also going to Glasgow uni next year :biggrin: Firmed my unconditional philosophy offer. I'm international as well, from Amsterdam. Very much looking forward to living in Glasgow :smile: Is anyone going to the applicants day?
Reply 67
Just firmed Uni of Glasgow for Human Biology, so excited now!!
Reply 68
Original post by Kat.Duguid1
glasgow for law too :smile: what halls you applied to?

been advised by friends so put down qm as top then murano small and murano large, yourself? :smile:
Reply 69
Original post by magenta1
Really? I thought Edinburgh was more international than Glasgow :O I like Glasgow as a city more I guess, but I like Edinburgh the uni more so :/ Accoutancy ftw :smile: Did you go to the post offer day in March? So what's your first choice and where did you reply to? :smile:

Well, Edinburgh is indeed more international in a context of American or Asian students (outside the EU). It's harder to get into for European applicants, because they have to compete with Scots for a fixed number of places (which is ~130 for the business programmes) and of course the uni prefers home students which is totally okay :smile:
Personally I liked the city of Edinburgh better, those buildings and the whole image of the capital are fascinating. But probably Glasgow is just as good if you look at the social side (so many bars and clubs) and the financial stuff - way cheaper, as for example rent prices are not that insane there...

I got an invitation to their accountancy applicants' day (27th) but I don't think I will attend, they told me too late unfortunately. Plan to visit the uni during the summer though, maybe stay in the city to work :cool:

My firm choice is definitely Glasgow, insurance might be Robert Gordon University if they reply eventually. Too bad I can't select accommodation yet. Do you have any ideas where you will live in case you reject Edinburgh? :smile:
Original post by Caitlin94
been advised by friends so put down qm as top then murano small and murano large, yourself? :smile:

Haha that's exactly what I did! Might be seeing you there then :smile: really hope I get into qm
Reply 71
Original post by andriis
Well, Edinburgh is indeed more international in a context of American or Asian students (outside the EU). It's harder to get into for European applicants, because they have to compete with Scots for a fixed number of places (which is ~130 for the business programmes) and of course the uni prefers home students which is totally okay :smile:
Personally I liked the city of Edinburgh better, those buildings and the whole image of the capital are fascinating. But probably Glasgow is just as good if you look at the social side (so many bars and clubs) and the financial stuff - way cheaper, as for example rent prices are not that insane there...

I got an invitation to their accountancy applicants' day (27th) but I don't think I will attend, they told me too late unfortunately. Plan to visit the uni during the summer though, maybe stay in the city to work :cool:

My firm choice is definitely Glasgow, insurance might be Robert Gordon University if they reply eventually. Too bad I can't select accommodation yet. Do you have any ideas where you will live in case you reject Edinburgh? :smile:

How do you know all these figures lol? Are you scottish student? So have you acccepted Glasgow then? Im thinking Cairncross or Muarano you?
Reply 72
How do you know all these figures lol? Are you scottish student? So have you acccepted Glasgow then? Im thinking Cairncross or Muarano you?

No, I'm not Scottish lol, most useful information is on the uni websites :tongue:
I can't accept Glasgow until I got replies from every single uni, so I have to wait a bit more... Same thoughts about houses, Murano or Cc.
Damn, can't wait until September!
Reply 73
Original post by andriis
No, I'm not Scottish lol, most useful information is on the uni websites :tongue:
I can't accept Glasgow until I got replies from every single uni, so I have to wait a bit more... Same thoughts about houses, Murano or Cc.

I just firmed Glasgow for Business Management and I'm thinking about Murano or Cairncross too! Funny to find another Andras, haven't thought it was such a common name in Glasgow! pacsi :smile: Unis are asked to reply by the 31st March, so the wait shouldn't be too long from now.
Reply 74
Woo Glasgow is my firm too! I'm in the process of deciding my order of accommodation preferences and am going to see the accommodation (AGAIN!) on tuesday at the applicant visit day.

Is anyone else going too? :smile:
Reply 75
Original post by andriis

where you coming from? ahh lol that makes sense :smile: i met someone at the Acc & Fin evening who was also wanting to study Accounting and Languages :smile: why do you want to study in scotland just wondering? Yeah i know, i'm so excited to get out of high school :biggrin:
Reply 76
Original post by Ajay13
Woo Glasgow is my firm too! I'm in the process of deciding my order of accommodation preferences and am going to see the accommodation (AGAIN!) on tuesday at the applicant visit day.

Is anyone else going too? :smile:

Wait, can you see the accommodation on the applicant visit day? Cos I've already been and thought you just went to ask questions and stuff?
Reply 77
Original post by Kat.Duguid1
Haha that's exactly what I did! Might be seeing you there then :smile: really hope I get into qm

me too but i'm only conditional so probably wont im guessing :s
Reply 78
Original post by andras
I just firmed Glasgow for Business Management and I'm thinking about Murano or Cairncross too! Funny to find another Andras, haven't thought it was such a common name in Glasgow! pacsi :smile: Unis are asked to reply by the 31st March, so the wait shouldn't be too long from now.

Nice! Glad to see someone from here with the same name lol.
Will you be doing IB/Matura this year? I wish I'd be through the exams already...

where you coming from? ahh lol that makes sense :smile: i met someone at the Acc & Fin evening who was also wanting to study Accounting and Languages :smile: why do you want to study in scotland just wondering? Yeah i know, i'm so excited to get out of high school :biggrin:

From Hungary (Budapest), so SAAS thankfully covers me. Tuitions were raised here also, which means a good degree may cost like 50% of that in England. To call it absurd would be an understatement, comparing the wages in the two countries... And of course, better career prospects with a degree from Glasgow while meeting new people and nice places :wink: Those uni societies look great btw, just hope our future coursemates won't be too geeks to hang out lol

I thought you're already out of high school that you hold unconditional offers?! :smile:
Reply 79
Original post by andriis
Nice! Glad to see someone from here with the same name lol.
Will you be doing IB/Matura this year? I wish I'd be through the exams already...

Haha yes. I'll do the Matura, but I'm really not looking forward to it. :P A lot of Hungarians seem to go to Glasgow this year actually, I already know about at least 10 people. They must like us out there haha. Which school do you go to, since we happen to live in the same city? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest