The Student Room Group

Which University for MSc Petroleum Engineering or MSc Advanced Mechanical Engieering

Hi to everyone, this is my first post on the forum,

In few months I will finish my first degree in Mechanical Engineering and I am planning to do a masters degree on Petroleum Engineering or Advanced Mechanical Engineering.

What do you think is better for a future career?

Also which of the following universities you think its better:

University of Aberdeen
Robert Gordon University
Heriot-Watt (still waiting for response on my application form)

Let's say that I am between the two first universities, which one is better?

Also what do you think about Advanced Mechanical Engineering? Is it better rather than the Petroleum Engineering?

Which university is good for future career? Please suggest me 2-3 universities for this if possible.

Thank you
Reply 1
The Petroleum Engineering masters course at Heriot-Watt is meant to be very strong - i.e. world renowned.

If i were you i'd go there if that is what you are really wanting to do.
Well what do you want to do as a future career?

Petroleum engineering will be better for many roles within the petroleum industry, but advanced mechanical engineering is much broader.

None of the universities you've listed are particularly good for pure mechanical engineering - if that's what you're interested in, then look elsewhere.

You can eliminate Aberdeen University because the course is new and it doesn't have particularly good links with the industry despite being in the same city. I can definitely say from my experience that RGU has a much better reputation so if you want to come up to Aberdeen then go there.

Heriot Watt is also very good. Others too look at for mechanical engineering are Strathclyde and Edinburgh. In fact they're probably the best two for pure mechanical.
Reply 3
Thanks to everyone for your replies

Original post by Smack
Well what do you want to do as a future career?

Petroleum engineering will be better for many roles within the petroleum industry, but advanced mechanical engineering is much broader.

None of the universities you've listed are particularly good for pure mechanical engineering - if that's what you're interested in, then look elsewhere.

You can eliminate Aberdeen University because the course is new and it doesn't have particularly good links with the industry despite being in the same city. I can definitely say from my experience that RGU has a much better reputation so if you want to come up to Aberdeen then go there.

Heriot Watt is also very good. Others too look at for mechanical engineering are Strathclyde and Edinburgh. In fact they're probably the best two for pure mechanical.

I had a look on Strathclyde and Edinburgh MSc courses and none of them offers Advanced Mechanical Engineering.
Original post by mecheng46
Thanks to everyone for your replies

I had a look on Strathclyde and Edinburgh MSc courses and none of them offers Advanced Mechanical Engineering.

An MSc doesn't have to be in advanced mechanical engineering, though. MSc degrees are usually more specific to the industry you want to enter and mechanical engineering is very broad.

Can you not just stay at your current university and do the full MEng? An MEng has almost exactly the same prospects as an MSc in petroleum engineering and exactly the same as an MSc in mechanical engineering.
Reply 5
Original post by Smack
An MSc doesn't have to be in advanced mechanical engineering, though. MSc degrees are usually more specific to the industry you want to enter and mechanical engineering is very broad.

Can you not just stay at your current university and do the full MEng? An MEng has almost exactly the same prospects as an MSc in petroleum engineering and exactly the same as an MSc in mechanical engineering.

thank you for the reply,

I don't want to do the MEng as BEng+MSc is better for me. When i say MSc Advanced Mechanical Engineering on my first post, I mean MSc Advanced Mechanical Engineering such as this one:

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/pgprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/mechanicalengineering/postgraduatecourses/ame

However I don't want to apply for the Imperial uni MSc coz of its high standard.

I am looking for a uni with good reputation on this MSc, just a bit behind Imperial.

cheers
thank you for the reply,

I don't want to do the MEng as BEng+MSc is better for me. When i say MSc Advanced Mechanical Engineering on my first post, I mean MSc Advanced Mechanical Engineering such as this one:

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/pgprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/mechanicalengineering/postgraduatecourses/ame

However I don't want to apply for the Imperial uni MSc coz of its high standard.

I am looking for a uni with good reputation on this MSc, just a bit behind Imperial.

cheers

Why is BEng + MSc better for you?
Reply 7
Original post by Smack
Why is BEng + MSc better for you?

MSc course will give me more credits and MSc will make me Charter engineer.

MEng makes you a chartered engineer and I don't know what credits are.
Reply 9

Do you plan on working outside of the UK? :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Bromine
Do you plan on working outside of the UK? :smile:

yes, no issues to work outside UK. I just want to go with the MSc course which will give me the best career opportunities. I am not sure which of the two to follow and if MSc advanced mechanical engineering is the way to go, i need some suggestions on which universities gives good career opportunities.
Career opportunities are a lot more dependent on how good you are as an engineer than what university you went to. They are two very different MSc degrees and it doesn't sound like you know what you want to go into.
Reply 12
Original post by Smack
Career opportunities are a lot more dependent on how good you are as an engineer than what university you went to. They are two very different MSc degrees and it doesn't sound like you know what you want to go into.

:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Hello all,
What about MSc Mechanical Engineer with University of Glasgow ?
Is it worth it to study there ?

As well I am confused between RGU (MSc Oil and Gas Engineer) and University Of Glasgow (Msc Mechanical Engineer / Mechanical Engineer with Management)

Also about future career.
As well after complete any of above courses is there a chance to get opportunity in EU

Regards,
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest