The Student Room Group

Comp Sci Advice

So I have four offers to study Computer Science this year.

Bristol: AAA
Warwick: AAA
Durham: AAB
Manchester: AAB

Firstly I'm not too sure on where to go as I think they're all great universities, which puts me in a tough decision when choosing to Firm and Insure.

Secondly, I haven't actually done any programming before - which I guess is very naive of me. I'm worried I won't be able to keep up, and therefore will do bad, or drop out. I guess I should mention that I'm particularly interested in the discrete maths side of things, so would want to focus on a "maths" heavy CS degree as opposed to tonnes of programming.

Do you think the unis would have much flexibility and let me change to comp sci and maths, or maths if I hated comp sci on it's own? I say this as I wouldn't have any intention of swapping degree unless I really did hate it, as I'm so grateful to have even got offers from them unis and wouldn't want to throw away a great opportunity.

In short, I'm not sure where to go, and whether or not I'll even like the course, as I frankly don't really know what I want to do with the rest of my life.

Any advice, information on the unis would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :smile:
Original post by WaNaBe
Secondly, I haven't actually done any programming before - which I guess is very naive of me. I'm worried I won't be able to keep up, and therefore will do bad, or drop out. I guess I should mention that I'm particularly interested in the discrete maths side of things, so would want to focus on a "maths" heavy CS degree as opposed to tonnes of programming.

Do you think the unis would have much flexibility and let me change to comp sci and maths, or maths if I hated comp sci on it's own? I say this as I wouldn't have any intention of swapping degree unless I really did hate it, as I'm so grateful to have even got offers from them unis and wouldn't want to throw away a great opportunity.
Is there a reason you didn't apply for a joint degree originally?

I expect most universities would be happy to let you change if you asked now. I note also that Warwick has a "Discrete Maths" course that you might be interested in.
Reply 2
Original post by fluteflute
Is there a reason you didn't apply for a joint degree originally?

I expect most universities would be happy to let you change if you asked now. I note also that Warwick has a "Discrete Maths" course that you might be interested in.

Thanks for the response. I kind of rushed into applying to meet the Oxbridge deadline so never put a great deal of thought into the course. Only later on have I realised I probably should have applied for joint.

I also heard doing a joint degree is more work and harder?

I was interested in that course, but didn't think I'd meet the entry requirements - I only have an A in Maths, and am only doing AS Further Maths. Do you think it would be worth sending them an email to see what they say?
Reply 3
Don't worry about having never done any programming before, they teach it all from the ground up and don't expect you to know anything. If anything, not having done any programming before can be an advantage as you can pick up bad habits, and if you've done it all before, lectures are a pisstake to go to (going over conditional statements and loops again was pretty tedious).

As for changing course, it depends on the university and their course-structure I guess so all you can do is email them.
Original post by WaNaBe
So I have four offers to study Computer Science this year.

Bristol: AAA
Warwick: AAA
Durham: AAB
Manchester: AAB

Firstly I'm not too sure on where to go as I think they're all great universities, which puts me in a tough decision when choosing to Firm and Insure.

In short, I'm not sure where to go, and whether or not I'll even like the course, as I frankly don't really know what I want to do with the rest of my life.

Any advice, information on the unis would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :smile:

Personally I would go for Warwick. It has a really good CS department.

Both maths and CS are strong at Warwick, and there is a close connection between the two.
Original post by WaNaBe
Thanks for the response. I kind of rushed into applying to meet the Oxbridge deadline so never put a great deal of thought into the course. Only later on have I realised I probably should have applied for joint.

I also heard doing a joint degree is more work and harder?

I was interested in that course, but didn't think I'd meet the entry requirements - I only have an A in Maths, and am only doing AS Further Maths. Do you think it would be worth sending them an email to see what they say?
I think that probably depends a lot on how the specific university's course is structured, though you're probably right that it will be a little more work. I imagine the benefit of studying things you're really interested in (and hence motivated to do work for) would outweigh that disadvantage though.

Hmm it looks like you might be right. Worth sending them an email though...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending