The Student Room Group

This Course at UCL Good Enough to go into IB?

Hi everyone.
Been accepted for;
Information Management for Business at UCL (BSc)

I wanted to know if the course would put me in good stead to go into a career in investment banking.
The course is pretty flexible so i can look at doing modules in investment/quantitative sort of genres.
Would this be worth doing?
Will the course be credible enough to the highly selective IB sector, even if it is at UCL?

Sorry for the questions, but would like to get an idea, and if you have any other information relevant please do share!

Thankyou!
Reply 1
Original post by james'94
Hi everyone.
Been accepted for;

I wanted to know if the course would put me in good stead to go into a career in investment banking.
The course is pretty flexible so i can look at doing modules in investment/quantitative sort of genres.
Will the course be credible enough to the highly selective IB sector, even if it is at UCL?

Sorry for the questions, but would like to get an idea, and if you have any other information relevant please do share!

Thankyou!

I would say that course is more geared towards technology/operations jobs in an IB tbh..
Reply 2
Original post by iPodTunes
I would say that course is more geared towards technology/operations jobs in an IB tbh..

I would say I agree :biggrin:
Reply 3
Try not to get cornered into tech positions since your degree is largely irrelevant. Stress the business part of your degree...
Reply 4
Hi everyone.
Been accepted for;

Thankyou!
yes
Hi everyone.
Been accepted for;

Thankyou!

The posters above are right in saying that this is geared more towards technology positions, but that's only if you want to go in that direction.

Basically, the banks don't care what you study. The only major bias is towards 6 universities - Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL and Warwick. Going to UCL, regardless of what you study, will put you near the top of the pile. If you're focused on a front office position then you can definitely make it. I know a fair number of people off that course, and they're filling positions at BarCap, Morgan Stanley, Credit Suisse etc ahead of the UCL economics students. Just make sure you get AAB at A level in order to pass most grade requirements, go to UCL, focus on getting into the front office, and you're perfectly able to make it.
Reply 6
This year we have had a number of people in Tech roles at Goldman and JPM (Because those people want to be in tech) However we also have people in M&A and S&T at Morgan Stanley, Credit Suisse, Barcap amongst others.

It's only one line on your CV and the rest is what you make of it.
Reply 7
UCL econ vs UCL IMB.

Who wins ?
Reply 8
Original post by Txi
UCL econ vs UCL IMB.

Who wins ?

The bigger one
Original post by Txi
UCL econ vs UCL IMB.

Who wins ?

The person who has better grades, extra-curriculars, work experience (and of course performs better in the application process).

I know plenty of UCL Economics students who are complete wastemen. I don't know how they got here
Reply 10
Original post by Cabine Sono Qui
The person who has better grades, extra-curriculars, work experience (and of course performs better in the application process).

I know plenty of UCL Economics students who are complete wastemen. I don't know how they got here

LOL, ok fair enough.

when I was doing IMB, I used sneak over to econs lectures.

man they are mother f'g huge - is it still that bad.
It's possible to get into an IB even from a low ranking uni, though it's more of an exception than the norm.

Check out linkedin, a networking site for professionals. You can see the unis people went to and might be surprised, pleasantly or otherwise!
Reply 12
Yes/thread.
Original post by Txi
LOL, ok fair enough.

when I was doing IMB, I used sneak over to econs lectures.

man they are mother f'g huge - is it still that bad.

haha I was just making a point that doing econ doesn't automatically mean you must be a better candidate than IMB.

The lectures are big, but from what I hear they're nothing compared to how stuffed LSE's are - over there students are actually encouraged not to turn up to lectures as there isn't enough space for all of them to fit! They broadcast the lectures online though.....the same cannot be said for the vast majority of ours :angry:
Reply 14
Original post by Cabine Sono Qui
haha I was just making a point that doing econ doesn't automatically mean you must be a better candidate than IMB.

The lectures are big, but from what I hear they're nothing compared to how stuffed LSE's are - over there students are actually encouraged not to turn up to lectures as there isn't enough space for all of them to fit! They broadcast the lectures online though.....the same cannot be said for the vast majority of ours :angry:

Oh I KNOW LSE is packed to rafters.

Why anyone puts up with that I don't know.

So where are you and what course are you on, if you don't mind ?
Reply 15
Had a friend that did the IMB programme, heard that 'Fiona' who works on reception gives favours out if you buy her chocs and always flirts with the guys... professional...!

Quick Reply

Latest