The Student Room Group

What do you think of Primark?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by footyadd
I absolutely love Primark. Cheap clothes, decent quality. Why would I pay 20 pounds for a shirt in say Topman when I can get a just as good one in Primark for less than 5 pounds? My best buy has to have been a 4 pound pair of brogues. Yes that's right, 4 pounds!!!!!!!! I got them from the stratford westfields store just before Christmas. A friend of mine has brogues from topman which he paid 60 odd quid for. He said he is kicking himself for paying that much after seeing mine. So what are everyones thoughts on Primark?

Yes, the clothes are cheap. However, whenever I go in there are clothes everywhere and I never seem to be able to find anything even when I look really hard. Plus the clothes are never of that much good quality.

Others may say, it's not that bad for the price... And I agree. If a top is £3.00, and you like it, it's worth it. But it takes over 30 minutes to queue up for something that after you've worn it the first time the quality will lack... Is that worth it?
Original post by >Username<
Yes, the clothes are cheap. However, whenever I go in there are clothes everywhere and I never seem to be able to find anything even when I look really hard. Plus the clothes are never of that much good quality.

Others may say, it's not that bad for the price... And I agree. If a top is £3.00, and you like it, it's worth it. But it takes over 30 minutes to queue up for something that after you've worn it the first time the quality will lack... Is that worth it?

The que does tend to be long, but the longest I have ever had to wait is 5 minutes. Every single primark I have been too has had 10+ checkouts in a row on each floor.
I like their cargo and combat for men.
Wouldn't rely solely on Primark to fill out my wardrobe but it'd be anybodies loss if they flat out refused to shop there. There's some really good stuff, sure the quality/durability might not be amazing but you can't complain for the prices.
Reply 124
For those interested/concerned about ethical issues in the clothing industry:

I did a social accounting project which included a shadow/silent account focusing on the Arcadia Group for university last year. If anyone is particularly interested I can send you my project (it recieved a grade of 19/20 which is a very high first - everything is sourced so you can recheck any info you like)

I can say as far as the evidence goes, Primark is certainly no worse than any of the Arcadia-owned shops (includes Topshop, DP, Miss Selfridge, Burton etc.) or New Look among other shops, which are often far more expensive. None of the extra money you pay at these shops goes to the people who make the clothes - it does go to people with senior positions in the industry. H&M seem to have the best policy and control of producers wages and conditions including independent audits as evidence. Even places like M&S/Monsoon which you would expect to have more ethical practices are not reported to be any better.
Reply 125
In addition to my earlier comment how i liked their basic tops and stuff like that there is something i really dislike.

The PUSHING and SHOVING! It is like a blooming war zone! People actually fight over clothes its ridiculous so whenever my mother drags me into there for a few of their nice basic tops I do not enjoy the experience of being pushed at least once and not being apologised to for it.

Sorry for the rant, but its all true!
Original post by Shennie
I completely agree with the skinny jeans thing! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this! Every where else fit appallingly and I frankly can't afford anywhere like Topshop (which is overrated, and a bit generic). They last ages too - I still have pairs I bought ages ago

Haha see I don't buy stuff from Topman, it's far too overpriced for me. I have only had my skinnies since just after xmas, but I'm pleased with them so far, for only £10. My only complaint is buttons rather than a zip are troublesome for when I'm out :P
Reply 127
Original post by JamfulDodger
Haha see I don't buy stuff from Topman, it's far too overpriced for me. I have only had my skinnies since just after xmas, but I'm pleased with them so far, for only £10. My only complaint is buttons rather than a zip are troublesome for when I'm out :P

I find Topshop pricey too - I swear they just a tenner to everything for the sake of it. Ahhh I don't have that problem - the girls skinnies have zips! And its irrelevant anyway :smile: But I have to agree that they're not bad
I just go into primark for underwear! :laugh: For everything else I wait for the sales, when everything in good designer shops comes down to £5 or less. That's quite often as well so I guess I'm quite lucky! :laugh:
Original post by footyadd
I absolutely love Primark. Cheap clothes, decent quality. Why would I pay 20 pounds for a shirt in say Topman when I can get a just as good one in Primark for less than 5 pounds? My best buy has to have been a 4 pound pair of brogues. Yes that's right, 4 pounds!!!!!!!! I got them from the stratford westfields store just before Christmas. A friend of mine has brogues from topman which he paid 60 odd quid for. He said he is kicking himself for paying that much after seeing mine. So what are everyones thoughts on Primark?

Terrible employer, great shop.
I do not like it. That is all.
Original post by Shennie
I find Topshop pricey too - I swear they just a tenner to everything for the sake of it. Ahhh I don't have that problem - the girls skinnies have zips! And its irrelevant anyway :smile: But I have to agree that they're not bad

I agree with you there! £35 for skinny chinos is robbery!
And haha it would be irrelevant for you, that is true! :P
Silly Primark, they should have zips on the mens skinnies and buttons for women :')
I loved it. Worked there for 2 years. Now I can't stand it.

The quality of clothes definitely isn't as good as other shops which are more expensive. Especially their underwear! I'd much rather spend a bit more money on something which is of a bit better quality and that won't wear/rip/gets holes in so quickly. I still go into Primark to get the basics.

Saying that though, the jeans that I got from Primark years ago have lasted much longer than the River Island and Next jeans that I got that I probably paid double the price for (and probably more).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 133
I personally don't have patience to shop in there. Too many people and too many clothes stacked together. But i always get jealous about people like you who manage to find cool looking bargains.
I have so many awesome pairs of underwear from there. Also bought a pair of jeans a few months ago that still look like new, not bad at all for £15 annoyingly they're button not zip but hey you can't have everything. :biggrin:
Used to hate Primark as it's generally like a zoo when you go in. But some of my most complimented clothing pieces are from Primark. They have some gorgeous playsuits and although its not as high fashion as River Island or Topshop, they do cheaper alternatives to higher priced clothing. (That said, I have noticed that their prices are more to the tune of New Look nowdays.) Good for shoes and bags too!
It's alright for things that are sort of "fashion fads" like copies, but I still prefer Topshop. I just think the quality of Primark stuff is reflected in the price, I've never bought something from Primark that looks the same quality as Topshop. Bearing in mind that Topshop isn't great quality either. And the sizes are very dodgy, I'm a 10-12 generally but I've got things from Primark ranging from a 6 to a 14. I know that's the same in most shops but more so in Primark.

Love the onesies though :colondollar:
Reply 137
Original post by JamfulDodger
I agree with you there! £35 for skinny chinos is robbery!
And haha it would be irrelevant for you, that is true! :P
Silly Primark, they should have zips on the mens skinnies and buttons for women :')

Haha they should have swapped the buttons and zips!! But I can deal with that based on the fact I only have to pay a tenner :smile:
Reply 138
Tend to walk past and into TopShop. Prefer their stuff in general.

<3 x
I don't mind it. I don't really mind if my Primark clothes get holes in them, because I paid £20 for a t shirt from Topshop that got a hole in after I washed it twice, so effectively you're getting the same quality for a far cheaper price.
Joy is my favourite shop but there aren't too many of them about :frown:

Quick Reply