The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1280
Original post by myyrh
Ah man :/ as a resitter I was ready to apply to Peninsula as long as my ukcat was above 630. Had nothing to lose afterall. When I ended up with 642.5 on the dot I was left in limbo till I rung them to find out the cut off had stayed the same although individual cut offs changed. I'm sure had it been anyother year the cut off would have increased as it has done everyear. Due to the change of removing the handheld calculator and the decrease in applicants I was pretty sure the national average would decrease. Are you planning to apply again?

They told you that before the application deadline? When I called them they said they won't know what will happen to cut-off until everyone applies. I got 645 which was ok for last year but my VR score was lower than last years cut-off and I wasn't sure it would go down or not.

I think I might, although I am looking at applying abroad. I have pharamcy but don't want to take it after all this effort.
Reply 1281
Original post by Aysha92
They told you that before the application deadline? When I called them they said they won't know what will happen to cut-off until everyone applies. I got 645 which was ok for last year but my VR score was lower than last years cut-off and I wasn't sure it would go down or not.

I think I might, although I am looking at applying abroad. I have pharamcy but don't want to take it after all this effort.

No I called them in November when they received the scores, I was impatient and just wanted to desperately know if I made it past the cut off. The way I thought was take a gamble and just apply because I'd be kicking myself if I could have had an interview. I honestly think you'll have a decent shot at getting an offer next year :smile:
Reply 1282
Original post by myyrh
No I called them in November when they received the scores, I was impatient and just wanted to desperately know if I made it past the cut off. The way I thought was take a gamble and just apply because I'd be kicking myself if I could have had an interview. I honestly think you'll have a decent shot at getting an offer next year :smile:

I should have done the same as you instead of applying to BSMS as a gamble as they require A* for resitters.
Thanks, I hope so too
Another update, I now hold 2 offers as a resitter from peninsula and liverpool as of yesterday, so any hopeful who fall short this cycle should suck it up and resit because it is possible. Last year I recieved one and only one offer from liverpool, I'm firming them again and I will make sure i actually fly through my may/june exams.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by myyrh
Exeter and Plymouth medical schools are being formed from Peninsula. Since it is their first year as individual medical schools, they will likely follow Peninsula's method of admissions (Exeter have already said they do consider resitters). The way Peninsula shortlist for Interview is based solely on A level grade/predictions and UKCAT. To get an interview this year you needed to have been predicted AAA and achieved a UKCAT score of 642.5 and met the individual score cut offs. AFAIK, any applicant with already the required grades is guaranteed an interview regardless of their UKCAT score. You already have AAA now so if you were to apply to those two schools, provided they maintain the Peninsula style of admissions I'm sure you would be shortlisted.

so what do u suggest i do ? because im not sure i could take another gap year at home. are you sure i will get an interview ? and ye im not that great on the ukcat either :frown:
Reply 1285
Original post by taken4granted
so what do u suggest i do ? because im not sure i could take another gap year at home. are you sure i will get an interview ? and ye im not that great on the ukcat either :frown:

Provided that Exeter/Plymouth stick to the Peninsula admissions you will be interviewed regardless of UKCAT score.
This is taken from their Admissions technical manual. UKCAT test results are used alongside the academic information provided on the UCAS form in order to select candidates for interview. Applicants who apply using grades that have already been achieved need not sit the UKCAT examination. Again It's entirely up to you. It would be two potential interviews though :redface: The personal statement and reference isn't used to select candidates so when you get to the interview, you really have to make that impact :smile: Hope this helps.
Offer from Liverpool :biggrin:
Reply 1287
Original post by areyousure?

Well done. Hopefully an easier offer than UEA?
Reply 1288
How do the universities actually know that we're resitting? Surely they can't tell apart from our age?
Reply 1289
Original post by daj198
How do the universities actually know that we're resitting? Surely they can't tell apart from our age?

Well you have to declare your achieved grades. Thats how they know.
Reply 1290
Original post by myyrh
Well you have to declare your achieved grades. Thats how they know.

But there's nothing stopping anyone just forgetting to declare the original grades?
Reply 1291
Original post by daj198
But there's nothing stopping anyone just forgetting to declare the original grades?

Of course there is. UCAS states you must declare all achieved grades. The centres you apply through would also verify this. If you try to cheat the system you would be exposed when they ask to see your certificates. The dates would not match e.g. AS certificate would be dated two years ago. The exam boards also communicate with UCAS :wink:
Original post by daj198

They will just have an excuse to not consider your application any further.
Or if they are nice, they will kindly ask you to declare your original grades..
Remember withholding any important information (grades, criminal record etc), gives them the right to withdraw any offer they make to you
Reply 1293

Massive Congrats mate :biggrin: No more worrying about an A* :smile: (Unless you want UEA over Liverpool? :redface: )
Original post by myyrh
Exeter and Plymouth medical schools are being formed from Peninsula. Since it is their first year as individual medical schools, they will likely follow Peninsula's method of admissions (Exeter have already said they do consider resitters). The way Peninsula shortlist for Interview is based solely on A level grade/predictions and UKCAT. To get an interview this year you needed to have been predicted AAA and achieved a UKCAT score of 642.5 and met the individual score cut offs. AFAIK, any applicant with already the required grades is guaranteed an interview regardless of their UKCAT score. You already have AAA now so if you were to apply to those two schools, provided they maintain the Peninsula style of admissions I'm sure you would be shortlisted.

where does it say this???
Reply 1295
Original post by undertaker1
where does it say this???

This is taken from their Admissions technical manual. UKCAT test results are used alongside the academic information provided on the UCAS form in order to select candidates for interview. Applicants who apply using grades that have already been achieved need not sit the UKCAT. Peninsula have a very transparent admissions process. As long as you meet their minimum requirements at GCSE, you are ranked by A2 predictions/grades and UKCAT. If you have predicted grades, you must meet the overall and individual UKCAT cutoffs. Anyone with achieved grades already in hand need not meet the cut off.
Original post by myyrh
This is taken from their Admissions technical manual. UKCAT test results are used alongside the academic information provided on the UCAS form in order to select candidates for interview. Applicants who apply using grades that have already been achieved need not sit the UKCAT. Peninsula have a very transparent admissions process. As long as you meet their minimum requirements at GCSE, you are ranked by A2 predictions/grades and UKCAT. If you have predicted grades, you must meet the overall and individual UKCAT cutoffs. Anyone with achieved grades already in hand need not meet the cut off.

ive got unconditional biomed offers from sussex and sheffiled unis. do you think its a good idea to accept one of these offers and apply for entry into peninsula in my first year?? will i be able to do that ??
Reply 1297
Original post by taken4granted
ive got unconditional biomed offers from sussex and sheffiled unis. do you think its a good idea to accept one of these offers and apply for entry into peninsula in my first year?? will i be able to do that ??

It's definitely something you could consider, but you have to remember that it was Peninsula which was fine with applying whilst on another course. You would have to double check with Exeter and Plymouth as there is a chance they may not keep the same policy :smile:
Reply 1298

Wooo!!! Well done :smile:))
Reply 1299
Original post by myyrh
Offer from liverpool!!! :biggrin: :smile:

Congrats again.!!!! You're definitely on a roll :P :smile: Totally deserve it!:smile: