Current Edinburgh Students Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1900
weather's nice.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by pooo
weather's nice.

Its soo hot. My room is baking especially since its facing the sun.
I can't believe Aberdeenshire has been the hottest place in the UK this week.

We moved from Aberdeen to London and were excited about the heat down here... now we find out that its really sunny up there now we've moved!
finding a one bedroom flat for a couple is more difficult than I expected it to be...
Original post by lizfairy
finding a one bedroom flat for a couple is more difficult than I expected it to be...

Are there many one bedroom flats available? The one's I've looked at are really quite expensive :frown:.
Original post by Emmie3303
Are there many one bedroom flats available? The one's I've looked at are really quite expensive :frown:.

There are, and yes they are generally more expensive... But it would work out cheaper sharing with my boyfriend. The cheapest I've seen was £450 a month.

You could get a 2 bed for around £550 a month though, surely, given it'd be non HMO?

Its the same as buying - its generally about 80% of the price of a two bed flat to get a one bed flat so in the grand scheme of things you're better off paying a bit more and getting a lot more space as then you can have a "bedroom" and a study room, as otherwise you're gonna end up with computers and books across your living space which is more intense with two people rather than one. One would assume you've got a budget of about £350 a month each as if you weren't in a relationship where you wanted to share a room then this is what you'd have to pay anyway, so anything cheaper than that should be fine.
There are, and yes they are generally more expensive... But it would work out cheaper sharing with my boyfriend. The cheapest I've seen was £450 a month.

Ah I see. £450pcm is good for two people but pretty expensive for one :frown:.
Original post by oxymoronic
You could get a 2 bed for around £550 a month though, surely, given it'd be non HMO?

Its the same as buying - its generally about 80% of the price of a two bed flat to get a one bed flat so in the grand scheme of things you're better off paying a bit more and getting a lot more space as then you can have a "bedroom" and a study room, as otherwise you're gonna end up with computers and books across your living space which is more intense with two people rather than one. One would assume you've got a budget of about £350 a month each as if you weren't in a relationship where you wanted to share a room then this is what you'd have to pay anyway, so anything cheaper than that should be fine.

Well I'd be happy paying £300-350 a month but my boyfriend is LDR, coming over for erasmus and he will be quite tight for month, relying on the erasmus scholarship and parents money, so for him the cheaper the better! I agree though, more space would be appreciated...
Well I'd be happy paying £300-350 a month but my boyfriend is LDR, coming over for erasmus and he will be quite tight for month, relying on the erasmus scholarship and parents money, so for him the cheaper the better! I agree though, more space would be appreciated...

The erasmus money is pretty large though - about 300 euros a month so with that plus a job of say, 16 hours a week at £6 an hour you'd be fine. Alternatively, get a two bed and rent out the other room to someone else. Okay that wouldn't give you any more space (other than that two beds tend to be a wee bit bigger generally) but it'd be even cheaper than a one bed if you are desperate to cut costs.

Aren't you studying part time though? You'll have to pay council tax then on top as presumably he is a full time student if he's doing erasmus, so you'd have the added cost of 75% council tax to your rent which he wouldn't have to pay.
Original post by oxymoronic
The erasmus money is pretty large though - about 300 euros a month so with that plus a job of say, 16 hours a week at £6 an hour you'd be fine. Alternatively, get a two bed and rent out the other room to someone else. Okay that wouldn't give you any more space (other than that two beds tend to be a wee bit bigger generally) but it'd be even cheaper than a one bed if you are desperate to cut costs.

Aren't you studying part time though? You'll have to pay council tax then on top as presumably he is a full time student if he's doing erasmus, so you'd have the added cost of 75% council tax to your rent which he wouldn't have to pay.

I won't be a part time student next year, just this year :P
Well, I'll see what he thinks about it, I think he only gets 200 euros a month though...
So... just about got my flat sorted and the person I was sharing with decides that it looks too old and gets her Dad to find her a new one for just her. :/ No idea what I'm going to do now! There is no-one else I know that I could share with. I've put a notice on gumtree, but if that doesn't work, does anyone know if there are any places available in self-catered halls for second years? I heard there were a few second years in David Horn House. I know it's unlikely. I really can't afford a one bedroom flat if the cheapest ones are £450 per month.
I was wondering if I get a SAAS payment for May 2012? or does the last one for academic session 2011/12 come in in April?

I have exams till Mid-May.
Original post by pink.panda.
So... just about got my flat sorted and the person I was sharing with decides that it looks too old and gets her Dad to find her a new one for just her. :/ No idea what I'm going to do now! There is no-one else I know that I could share with. I've put a notice on gumtree, but if that doesn't work, does anyone know if there are any places available in self-catered halls for second years? I heard there were a few second years in David Horn House. I know it's unlikely. I really can't afford a one bedroom flat if the cheapest ones are £450 per month.

What do you study and what's your budget?
I am looking for flatmates and a flat, my boyfriend is coming over on Erasmus and we want to live together in a two or three bedroom flat.
Original post by Cressida
I was wondering if I get a SAAS payment for May 2012? or does the last one for academic session 2011/12 come in in April?

I have exams till Mid-May.

I got mine today, although that's SFE.

Are you a member of any societies?
Send an email around the mailing list to ask if anyone has a spare room/wants to join up to make a new flat.
There will still be a lot of people who haven't worked out what they're doing and also check out the noticeboard in Potterrow :smile:
Hey, does anyone know if the shuttle buses are running at the same times during the semester for the revision weeks ?
(edited 11 years ago)
I heard there were a few second years in David Horn House. I know it's unlikely. I really can't afford a one bedroom flat if the cheapest ones are £450 per month.

Blackfriars Street is your only option within Accommodation Services if you're a continuing student. It's pretty expensive though, and really not worth it. I'd recommend looking harder for a flatmate.

lizfairy
I am looking for flatmates and a flat, my boyfriend is coming over on Erasmus and we want to live together in a two or three bedroom flat.

Piece of advice. Don't bother with a 3 bed flat if you're a couple + 1. Absolutely look for a decent 2 bed with no HMO, you will save a lot of money for it.
Reply 1918
got to the library at 9, ran into a friend so chatted for about 10 minutes.

all seats gone.

crying in hugh robson ~
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
Blackfriars Street is your only option within Accommodation Services if you're a continuing student. It's pretty expensive though, and really not worth it. I'd recommend looking harder for a flatmate.

Piece of advice. Don't bother with a 3 bed flat if you're a couple + 1. Absolutely look for a decent 2 bed with no HMO, you will save a lot of money for it.

I was thinking of a 3 bed flat with 4 people, a couple in one and two individuals in the other...

Quick Reply