The Student Room Group

7% of the Britsih population is privately educated, but they get 60% of the TOP jobs.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hackett
Not trying to be rude or disregarding or anything but it is very naive to think that by having the best grades you will "make it to the top" It takes alot more than that to be succesful at life.

That depends on what you regard as "the top". If it's academia then yes, it is important to get good grades to get to "the top".

Of course I know exceptions to that from my own persona life, but you shouldn't count exceptions and go "oh ok, they did that therefore everyone should be expected to that too". Again it's about equal opportunities. Two people of exactly the same (mental) calibre receiving different qualities of education because they come from different social backgrounds could have two completely different futures because of things that are completely out of their control.

Children's cannot chose their own education. The quality of education should be to the highest possible standard for everyone regardless of what social background they come from, otherwise their equal opportunities rights are breached.
Original post by Classical Liberal
Stop blaming private schools. Thank god somewhere can actually teach people and enforce some kind of discipline.

Blame government run state schools.

With resources like the Khan Academy the argument that you failed because you were poor is becoming increasingly redundant. If you want to learn you can in this day and age. I went to a Grammar school but I can tell you that the Khan Academy wipes the floor with it.

Because using economic capital to gain an advantage, or at least perceive to gain one (there are good examples of those making it to the top from poor backgrounds, e.g. Richard Branson), in all situations is right?
Reply 162
Original post by NDGAARONDI
Because using economic capital to gain an advantage, or at least perceive to gain one (there are good examples of those making it to the top from poor backgrounds, e.g. Richard Branson), in all situations is right?

Richard Branson did not come from a poor background btw.

It would be extremely stupid to not use an economic advantage if you have one.
Original post by Dragonfly07

Children's cannot chose their own education. The quality of education should be to the highest possible standard for everyone regardless of what social background they come from, otherwise their equal opportunities rights are breached.

That is the government who should be responsible for improving state education. Whatever happened to grammar schools? Sometimes striving for equality drags everyone down to a lower level purely for the sake of it.
Reply 165
Everyone should aspire to get a "top" job. As we all know, top jobs can only be defined by how much money they earn. Everyone should aspire to become a banker because this is a "top" job. Nevermind the fact that you will spend 12 hours a day bored out of your mind, staring at numbers on a computer screen all day. It is most definitely a "top" job. It is the pinnacle of human existence to spend the majority of your time bored and depressed and then spend your limited free time as a brainwashed consumer, purchasing items that you don't need. Thank you everyone for supporting the matrix and remember that capitalism is a perfect system without any holes whatsoever and should be worshipped in all its might and glory. Please all of you dedicate your lives to the wonderfully flawless system that is capitalism. It will make you very very happy. Carry on aspiring for all those "top" jobs in law and the finance sector. I promise you the mainstream media and the government are not trying to trick you into thinking that these are "top" jobs in order to boost the powerhouse that is the Great British national economy at your own detriment. Have a wonderful day and carry on.
Original post by ForKicks
That is the government who should be responsible for improving state education. Whatever happened to grammar schools? Sometimes striving for equality drags everyone down to a lower level purely for the sake of it.

You're one of the many people who misunderstand the meaning of the word "equality". Equality isn't dragging everyone down to the lowest possible level in order to "even everything out". It's not even about "evening" anything out at all.

It's about giving everyone the equal opportunities to succeed in whatever they want to do later on in life, and that DOESN'T necessarily mean wealth - again, something that most people don't understand.

The most important thing in ensuring equal opportunities is to give everyone equal access (within logical limits - i.e. upon passing certain tests) to training and education. Basic education, for children aged 16 and under, should be available for everyone at the highest possible standard regardless of which school they go to. There should be no gaps between schools. AGAIN, BY SAYING THAT THERE'S NO GAPS I MEAN RAISE EVERYONE'S STANDARDS, NOT LOWER EVERYONE'S STANDARDS. When that's achieved there will be no need for private schools.
You're one of the many people who misunderstand the meaning of the word "equality". Equality isn't dragging everyone down to the lowest possible level in order to "even everything out". It's not even about "evening" anything out at all.

It's about giving everyone the equal opportunities to succeed in whatever they want to do later on in life, and that DOESN'T necessarily mean wealth - again, something that most people don't understand.

The most important thing in ensuring equal opportunities is to give everyone equal access (within logical limits - i.e. upon passing certain tests) to training and education. Basic education, for children aged 16 and under, should be available for everyone at the highest possible standard regardless of which school they go to. There should be no gaps between schools. AGAIN, BY SAYING THAT THERE'S NO GAPS I MEAN RAISE EVERYONE'S STANDARDS, NOT LOWER EVERYONE'S STANDARDS. When that's achieved there will be no need for private schools.

Like I said, this country needs to bring back more grammar schools which would help solve the problem you address.
Reply 168

Quick question: If you were in the position of being a private schoo -would YOU still be saying that people should have equal educations in school?
Original post by Ex Death
Everyone should aspire to get a "top" job. As we all know, top jobs can only be defined by how much money they earn. Everyone should aspire to become a banker because this is a "top" job. Nevermind the fact that you will spend 12 hours a day bored out of your mind, staring at numbers on a computer screen all day. It is most definitely a "top" job. It is the pinnacle of human existence to spend the majority of your time bored and depressed and then spend your limited free time as a brainwashed consumer, purchasing items that you don't need. Thank you everyone for supporting the matrix and remember that capitalism is a perfect system without any holes whatsoever and should be worshipped in all its might and glory. Please all of you dedicate your lives to the wonderfully flawless system that is capitalism. It will make you very very happy. Carry on aspiring for all those "top" jobs in law and the finance sector. I promise you the mainstream media and the government are not trying to trick you into thinking that these are "top" jobs in order to boost the powerhouse that is the Great British national economy at your own detriment. Have a wonderful day and carry on.

Just because you don't like banking, it doesn't mean that other people can't! Money isn't just about purchasing consumer goods, read this: http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-reasons-money-can-buy-happiness/ So tell us, what are your career aspirations?
Original post by Hackett
Quick question: If you were in the position of being a private schoo -would YOU still be saying that people should have equal educations in school?

I would definitely chose to go to a private school, but I won't oppose the idea of abolishing all private schools in favour of bringing all other schools up to the best possible standard.

Edit: in fact as a working person I'm all for increasing taxes as much as possible to give to poor people in African/Asian counties who are starving, at the cost of reducing my own quality of life.
I would definitely chose to go to a private school, but I won't oppose the idea of abolishing all private schools in favour of bringing all other schools up to the best possible standard.

Edit: in fact as a working person I'm all for increasing taxes as much as possible to give to poor people in African/Asian counties who are starving, at the cost of reducing my own quality of life.

Private schools are actually helping the state sector. The parents are high earners and pay lots of tax, but don't cost the state school system anything! When you get a job I now expect nothing less than you donating a large chunk of your salary to charity, or else you will be a hypocrite.
I don't understand why two out of four people don't support equal opportunities.

Equally **** opportunities. That is what people do not like.
Reply 173
Private schools are actually helping the state sector. The parents are high earners and pay lots of tax, but don't cost the state school system anything! When you get a job I now expect nothing less than you donating a large chunk of your salary to charity, or else you will be a hypocrite.

Exactly bang on, and people in the state sector forget this...

Look at the title - 7% privately educated and get 60% of the top jobs, which I assume are the highest paid and therfore who pays for the state schools? Yep you got it.

I think there are few things a parent can do for their children and society at large that is better than giving their children a good education. Perhaps only preceded by unconditional love.
Does anybody really believe that employers hire people because they went to private school?

If companies were forced to hire people from state schools simply because they come from state schools would that not be just as bad (if not worse)? Although that seems to be the way people want things to go. The hypocrisy is unbelievable, as Maggie said: "the poor don't care about becoming less poor, so long as the rich are less rich." Society will not and can not progress if people are set on stopping people becoming better, rather than bettering themselves.

You cannot punish people for being rich, or intelligent, or well educated. You have to encourage the best people to go for the best jobs. If the best people are from private schools, then so be it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 176
Just because you don't like banking, it doesn't mean that other people can't! Money isn't just about purchasing consumer goods, read this: http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-reasons-money-can-buy-happiness/ So tell us, what are your career aspirations?

While it is true that just because I don't like banking that isn't to say that others might. However, I would go as far to say that if you actually enjoy banking I would have to question whether you were actually human. That article you linked is full of ridiculous assumptions and general nonsense, the most obvious of which is the assumption that not having lots of money means that you must be poor and therefore you will struggle to meet basic living requirements.

As for my own career aspirations, I am looking into a career which sacrifices pay for a far more enjoyable lifestyle. You spend the vast majority of your life in a job, so why would you aim for a job that is boring, dull and depressing, under the illusion that earning more money outweighs this. It is simply baffling how the entirety of society has been conditioned to fail to grasp this obvious flaw.
What's more digusting is the reality, that in a world scarce with resources, resources are mismanaged by incompetent people instilled under the premise of equal opportunities.
Original post by Ex Death
While it is true that just because I don't like banking that isn't to say that others might. However, I would go as far to say that if you actually enjoy banking I would have to question whether you were actually human. That article you linked is full of ridiculous assumptions and general nonsense, the most obvious of which is the assumption that not having lots of money means that you must be poor and therefore you will struggle to meet basic living requirements.

As for my own career aspirations, I am looking into a career which sacrifices pay for a far more enjoyable lifestyle. You spend the vast majority of your life in a job, so why would you aim for a job that is boring, dull and depressing, under the illusion that earning more money outweighs this. It is simply baffling how the entirety of society has been conditioned to fail to grasp this obvious flaw.

Wow, so anyone who is mathematically minded and enjoys what they do isn't human? Okay then...

You come across extremely bitter. The impression is that you aimed for something, fell short, and are now justifying it with a 'this is for the better anyway' attitude. No-one else would be so driven against money and certain professions.

Have a wonderful day and carry on :smile:
Reply 179
Wow, so anyone who is mathematically minded and enjoys what they do isn't human? Okay then...

You come across extremely bitter. The impression is that you aimed for something, fell short, and are now justifying it with a 'this is for the better anyway' attitude. No-one else would be so driven against money and certain professions.

Have a wonderful day and carry on :smile:

Good to see you have become so well indoctrinated that you fail to grasp how it is simply not possible for a sentient human being to not want to work in a boring, dull job for the rest of his life. Since you clearly will not take my word for it, I will suggest that you conduct a survey amongst bankers and then ask them if they actually enjoy their job. Be sure to ask them about their actual day-to-day job rather than aspects such as how much money they earn.

The fact is, the overwhelming majority of jobs in the finance sector are extremely dull and boring and it takes a severe amount of delusion to think otherwise.

I am not bitter whatsoever, I am actually very happy with the decisions I have made in life. I am simply baffled how people are still so brainwashed, that is all. I did not fall short of anything, but carry on making assumptions about me, and about how I must be wrong because I am deviating from the system. I'm sure it helps you sleep at night. Have a wonderful day and carry on.

Quick Reply

Latest