The Student Room Group

Brighton or Canterbury???

Hullo all :smile:
I'll be applying for Child Nursing Degree this sept to start in 2013 (yes I know its a long way off, but I'm a mature student so I'm having to do all sorts of top up courses to finally get to that stage!) and I've decided the Uni's I want to apply to are: Brighton (Hastings campus) and Canterbury. Just woundered if anybody has any reviews, stories or advice on which one they think is the better??
Ta!
Reply 1
I've applied for Brighton for Child Nursing this year. I had my interview recently, and the University and course seem really great!

One thing I want to point out is that the child nursing degree is all taught in the Falmer campus. Adult and mental health might be a choice. I got told it's one lecture a week which is at Falmer campus, 2 days of placements which you can choose from anywhere really, brighton, eastbourne, hastings etc wherever is closest... and two more days of study (not lectures, I think its just guided study) and two days off a week, both days off and the "guided study" or what ever depends on when your placements are that week... it changes every week depending on your mentors are working. But it seems like a really great Uni, some of the people I met at my interview had been rejected straight away for Child Nursing at Canterbury, some said its because of them taking in college students as opposed to mature students, which I think is terrible. But who knows why really, just thought I would tell you.

Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Wow, thankyou that helps heaps! I think I'll apply to both uni's for child and adult just to keep my options open. That's awful about Canterbury if its true, everyone deserves a fair chance! What route are you taking into nursing if you don't mind me asking? How did you find your interview and have you heard back?

Ta :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by rtousis
I've applied for Brighton for Child Nursing this year. I had my interview recently, and the University and course seem really great!

One thing I want to point out is that the child nursing degree is all taught in the Falmer campus. Adult and mental health might be a choice. I got told it's one lecture a week which is at Falmer campus, 2 days of placements which you can choose from anywhere really, brighton, eastbourne, hastings etc wherever is closest... and two more days of study (not lectures, I think its just guided study) and two days off a week, both days off and the "guided study" or what ever depends on when your placements are that week... it changes every week depending on your mentors are working. But it seems like a really great Uni, some of the people I met at my interview had been rejected straight away for Child Nursing at Canterbury, some said its because of them taking in college students as opposed to mature students, which I think is terrible. But who knows why really, just thought I would tell you.

Hope this helps!

Hey i think you was in on the same interveiw day as me, have you hear back brom brighton yet ??
Original post by rtousis

Hope this helps!

This is not true about canterbury, I know a few people including myself which gained places at canterbury for child nursing and are classed as mature students.
Reply 5
Original post by rtousis
But it seems like a really great Uni, some of the people I met at my interview had been rejected straight away for Child Nursing at Canterbury, some said its because of them taking in college students as opposed to mature students, which I think is terrible. But who knows why really, just thought I would tell you.

There is an awful lot more competition for child branch due to the limited amount of places and the attraction people have to working in that area of practice, so universities can be a lot more selective about choosing students for this course.l I doubt there is some conspiracy against mature students there, as if it got out they university would be in a whole lot of trouble under the age discrimination act.
Sounds like people are just being bitter, Canterbury are lovely and were the nicest out of the 5 interviews I went too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending