The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by robk93
Anyone applied and actually had any kind of acknowledgement?

I completed the application form a few weeks ago, and didn't get any kind of acknowledgement. FAQ says we should contact them if "we do not receive an acknowledgement of receipt of application form within four weeks of applying online."
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
I am just completing the accommodation application when I got to the bit about "types of accommodation" It does not mention anything about intercollegiate halls. Are 1st years undergrads allowed intercollegiate accommodation? How do we apply for intercollegiate accommodation?
Reply 6182
Original post by arunas.rv
I completed the application form a few weeks ago, and didn't get any kind of acknowledgement. FAQ says we should contact them if "we do not receive an acknowledgement of receipt of application form within four weeks of applying online."

Phew, reassuring :P

I've still not even had any kind of acknowledgement from my insurance ...
How am I meant to apply?

I have a UCAS offer, and a recommendation letter, but no info on how to apply at all.
Original post by SK890
I am just completing the accommodation application when I got to the bit about "types of accommodation" It does not mention anything about intercollegiate halls. Are 1st years undergrads allowed intercollegiate accommodation? How do we apply for intercollegiate accommodation?

Out of all the available accommodation, intercollegiate halls are the ones where you can actually have a specific preference. So you'll see them as their actual names - College, Commonwealth, Hughes Parry, International etc.

Hope that helps!
Hey guys so I've got an offer from UCL for 2012 entry and I'm looking at the accommodation page and got majorly confused with how the whole thing works. Any help would be much appreciated.

What's the difference between "hall of residence" and "intercollegiate halls"?
Does the fees for halls listed on the accommodation website include catering?
What's the major difference between these halls except the facilities and location?
Canterbury Hall, College Hall , Commonwealth Hall, Connaught Hall, Hughes Parry Hall, International Hall, Lillian Penson Hall, Nutford House

Cheers x
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Captain Darling
How am I meant to apply?

I have a UCAS offer, and a recommendation letter, but no info on how to apply at all.

Go onto the UCL website....... :confused:
Well I went onto that link but it wants a student number, which I don't have
Reply 6188
Original post by Captain Darling
Well I went onto that link but it wants a student number, which I don't have

I'm in the same position as well. Basically, on the paper copy of your acceptance letter, there is something which says "our reference" in the top right corner. This is the number they refer to as your student number when you apply. :smile:
Hey, reading through this thread, people seemed to previously have been able to sneakily write on their application form where they wanted to live, and just hope that the accom. people felt it in their hearts to give them their preference...

Does this mean there's a written application form, as opposed to the online one?
I'm not too attached to anywhere but I do really like the idea of Schafer House - it seems to fit with my criteria more than any other self-catering option.
So for the "most important factor" section, which applies to Schafer more? Cluster/Shared Flat, or Self-catered House? Because it seems to be both, so I don't know which one to specify and I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.
Original post by Bright Lights
Hey, reading through this thread, people seemed to previously have been able to sneakily write on their application form where they wanted to live, and just hope that the accom. people felt it in their hearts to give them their preference...

Does this mean there's a written application form, as opposed to the online one?
I'm not too attached to anywhere but I do really like the idea of Schafer House - it seems to fit with my criteria more than any other self-catering option.
So for the "most important factor" section, which applies to Schafer more? Cluster/Shared Flat, or Self-catered House? Because it seems to be both, so I don't know which one to specify and I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

Neither of those are really specific enough. Schafer isn't great to be honest, it's quite an antisocial hall, although it is close and relatively clean which is a bonus.
Every year before this has had written applications, you're the first year where they're trialling the online system, so nobody can write a cheeky note this year.
hey, anyone doing MSc Management here ?
or does anyone know if there's a more suitable hall for the management postgraduates, or in general postgraduates.
Sorry if this is a stupid question ( I don't really know how the accommodation works), but if you share bathrooms are you expected to clean them or do you have people that clean the shared areas?

Edit: Also, if you go for self-catered does it affect how far from the campus you are?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Wish I Could Change This
Sorry if this is a stupid question ( I don't really know how the accommodation works), but if you share bathrooms are you expected to clean them or do you have people that clean the shared areas?

Edit: Also, if you go for self-catered does it affect how far from the campus you are?

On the whole, shared bathrooms and kitchens are cleaned - one of the bonuses of not going en suite :smile:

And no, some of the self catered residences (arthur tattersall/campell) are the closest to the campus. Some are still far away though.
Original post by dirtyoldriver
On the whole, shared bathrooms and kitchens are cleaned - one of the bonuses of not going en suite :smile:

And no, some of the self catered residences (arthur tattersall/campell) are the closest to the campus. Some are still far away though.

Ah, so it's entirely up to chance how far away you are. Thanks for your response. Also, opinions on the intercollegiate halls?
Reply 6195
I've got an offer for UCL - maths w/ economics.
Im just wondering what halls would be most suitable for me?
I love going out, fairly sporty and wouldn't be necessarily be bothered about the walk to/from lectures.

The main factor will be the nightlife, so which halls are most 'studenty', and have a reputation of going out a lot.

What are the thoughts on James Lighthill House? is it any good? Seems the most appealing to me. :smile:
Reply 6197
Heya, I wanted to ask if anyone knows what the atmosphere is like at Ramsay Hall, Connaught Hall and College Hall?

I researched them all- they seem like nice places to live in. Though is it true that college hall has a limited social scene? or that the cleaners and workers in the kitchen at Connaught hall are really rude?? ..

And what are the facilities like in Ramsay Hall?

Thank you for any help! :smile:
Reply 6198
Original post by Day8
Heya, I wanted to ask if anyone knows what the atmosphere is like at Ramsay Hall, Connaught Hall and College Hall?

I researched them all- they seem like nice places to live in. Though is it true that college hall has a limited social scene? or that the cleaners and workers in the kitchen at Connaught hall are really rude?? ..

And what are the facilities like in Ramsay Hall?

Thank you for any help! :smile:

I stayed in Ramsay in my first year but it has gone through significant refurb since then so thing might be a bit different now. Atmosphere is really good, it is definitely a 'party hall' but obviously you're free to hang with non-drinking crowd if that's your thing. I think there are 2 kitchens on each floor (shared among ca 30-40 students) and I never had to wait for the shower or the toilet; the bathrooms were pretty clean. There are coin-operated washing machines and if they haven't added any new ones, you may still have to queue for those (6 for the whole hall!); the iron board disappeared after the first term (there was 1 to be shared among few hundred students). Also, if your microwave needs fixing you might have to wait a couple of days for sb to come but you can always use another kitchen. Feel free to PM me if you want but I'm a final year now so things might have changed in the past 2 years.
Original post by Wish I Could Change This
Ah, so it's entirely up to chance how far away you are. Thanks for your response. Also, opinions on the intercollegiate halls?

I'm afraid I don't know too much - I do know that the garden halls are good and close, and one of them has a pizza vending machine. They are also meant to be pretty nice inside, although from what I've heard they're even more expensive than regular UCL halls. Obviously you have to think about whether you really want catered accommodation as your mealtimes and ability to control what you eat are restricted, but that's a personal thing (I opted self-catered student houses as I wanted the freedom). Also you get to mix with UoL students outside of just UCL which is pretty cool :smile: that is my $0.02 from my limited experience/information!

Latest