The Student Room Group

Zoology/Biological Sciences applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

I received a conditional offer from QMUL for Zoology! Was my first offer, they replied almost immediately. Still have to visit, any one else apply there :biggrin:
Reply 601
Guys, would you recommend MSci Natural Sciences over MSci Biological Sciences (in UCL)?
I have conditionals for Biological Sciences (With placement year) and Zoology at Queens. Finding it hard to choose between them as although the first year units are the same, the 2nd year Zoology units appeal to me more such as invertebrate biology and mammalian biochemistry, though the placement year with Biological Sciences in 3rd year will be beneficial in terms of finding a job. The final year research projects for Biological Sciences also includes a Zoology module if I looked at the course content correctly.

Has anyone else been in this predicament and have any recommendations?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 603
Hey everybody..anybody considered roehampton..they do zoology there too! I applied and got an unconditional offere to do part time zoology. The staff and the campus look amazing, just in the middle of the green! and they work with london zoo, chessington zoo and othere sanctuaries. Anybody joining me? the professors looks very serious at what they're doing :wink:
Original post by abbie4884
I applied there for zoology and got an offer :smile:
not going to take it though, their accommodation looks nice

Me either, don't think I will be as I've applied else where for BioVet Science :smile:
I sent off a late application late March for BSc Biology, got unconditional offers from Sussex and Nottingham :biggrin:

Still waiting on Queen Mary, Bath & Warwick. I think I'll go for Sussex though :yep:
Original post by LeJoshing
I have conditionals for Biological Sciences (With placement year) and Zoology at Queens. Finding it hard to choose between them as although the first year units are the same, the 2nd year Zoology units appeal to me more such as invertebrate biology and mammalian biochemistry, though the placement year with Biological Sciences in 3rd year will be beneficial in terms of finding a job. The final year research projects for Biological Sciences also includes a Zoology module if I looked at the course content correctly.

Has anyone else been in this predicament and have any recommendations?

I'd imagine it's fairly easy to switch from one to the other after/during first year if the modules are pretty much the same. Check with the department though.
If you prefer Zoology as a course then I'd go with that, personally. You can always try to arrange summer placements or something :smile:
Reply 607
Biology at Portsmouth anyone? :smile:
zoology at Bangor anyone ? :smile:
Reply 609
Original post by InsaneFandom
I sent off a late application late March for BSc Biology, got unconditional offers from Sussex and Nottingham :biggrin:

Still waiting on Queen Mary, Bath & Warwick. I think I'll go for Sussex though :yep:

I opted to apply for Biology BSc (as opposed to Zoology) as i didn't want to limited my future options (A'Levels: Chem, Bio, Maths and English) although most of my modules will probably be animal based. I have offers from Sussex, Leeds and Nottingham. Having spent the last three months researching the courses, Uni's, lecturers etc I have finally decided to confirm Sussex. Phew :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Hamuir5
I opted to apply for Biology BSc (as opposed to Zoology) as i didn't want to limited my future options (A'Levels: Chem, Bio, Maths and English) although most of my modules will probably be animal based. I have offers from Sussex, Leeds and Nottingham. Having spent the last three months researching the courses, Uni's, lecturers etc I have finally decided to confirm Sussex. Phew :smile:

Good choice, I might be seeing you there :biggrin:
Although I just got an offer for Bath so I need to visit there before I decide..

My older sister did a zoology degree, personally I've no idea which area of Biology I want to go into yet
Reply 611
Got an Unconditional Offer for Human Genetics at the University of Nottingham! :biggrin:
Reply 612
Original post by WarpyM
Got an Unconditional Offer for Human Genetics at the University of Nottingham! :biggrin:

Congratulations :smile:
Reply 613
Original post by LateNightSkies
Anyone who's applied to Exeter Cornwall Campus....

Feel free to join the fb group below. Would be great to here from you and might be a nice way to get to know each other better before sept/lend support for the coming exams!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/347584798617557/

:smile:

Saw you missed out on your offer from exeter last year but have an unconditional second time around, well done! how far away from your offer were you? I am definitely going to miss my offer of AAB, I think if I do really well i'll get ABB although there are enough ums available to get the two A's. I put it as my firm regardless as I love the course, campus and falmouth, confirmation letter did say at the end if the offer is missed they will reconsider - I'm just looking to see how lenient they have been in the past. I have also seen that some people have offers for zoology for ABB, I am so jealous!
Reply 614
Has anybody applied for Leeds and Bristol, Zoology? I am struggling to make a decision between the two.... D:
Reply 615
Original post by Igwig
Has anybody applied for Leeds and Bristol, Zoology? I am struggling to make a decision between the two.... D:

Between the two I would definitely go for Bristol.
Reply 616
Bristol did end up as my firm choice! :smile:
Hi, just wandering if anyone had applied for biology with only biology as their science at A level? Is it compulsory to have chemistry or maths too? Because I'm doing bio, chem, French and rs at the moment for AS and was planning on dropping chemistry? :smile:
Reply 618
Original post by tastetherainbow
Hi, just wandering if anyone had applied for biology with only biology as their science at A level? Is it compulsory to have chemistry or maths too? Because I'm doing bio, chem, French and rs at the moment for AS and was planning on dropping chemistry? :smile:

It depends on the course, some need you to have it to at least AS and I think they prefer it to A2 but it's not necessary. At Durham, you have to do a catch-up module in the first year if you don't have chemistry but that's all :smile:
Original post by InsaneFandom
Good choice, I might be seeing you there :biggrin:
Although I just got an offer for Bath so I need to visit there before I decide..

My older sister did a zoology degree, personally I've no idea which area of Biology I want to go into yet

out of interest did your sisters zoology degree help her get zoology related jobs?

Quick Reply