The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Should I firm Sheffield even though I have never been there?

I have never visited The University of Sheffield, and the open day is some point this month, but I don't think I'm going to be able to come, seeing as that I've got mock exams etc which I want to prepare for (and travelling from London does not exactly do me any favours)

Should I just firm Sheffield, even though I have never been there or seen the place. Will I regret it?

I don't want to go to the other Uni's that I applied for...but then again I have no idea what Sheffield is like, so I don't want to make a mistake.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Reply 1
If you're going to be spending the new few years there, I think it would be best to check it out.

Having said that, I know plenty of students who went to uni without visiting before hand - but it's a bit of a gamble as you might really hate the location.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
If you don't want to go to the other unis that you applied for then the decision is pretty much made for you, it's either ditch Sheffield and not go/reapply next year, or take a gamble on Sheffield.

Sheffield is not a bad city, it's fairly cheap to live, there's stuff to do, students seem to like it, but then it's not the most grippingly exciting city in the UK. But it's not one of those marmite places that some people love and others hate.

Travelling from London is not that bad, its a couple of hours, if you book early enough you might be able to get a cheaper train deal.

If you really don't want to go then just accept its a risk, there might be things that you find when you get to Sheffield that you don't like, that you would have realised had you gone up and visited, but they might be things you can live with anyway.
Reply 3
What's more important; mock exams, or knowing you're going to be comfortable with the place you're choosing to live for the next 3 years? Taking a day out to go and visit isn't going to seriously harm your prep for mocks (which, at the end of the day, don't count towards anything), and I think it'd be really beneficial to go and have a look around and get a feel for the place. I was at one point going to blindly apply to Newcastle without visiting, as it's a long way and I'd heard so many good things about it; I went up and I hated it - open days are there for a reason!
Mock exams mean nothing, having peace of mind that you know you like where you could be spending 3 years means a lot. As the above poster said, taking one day off from revising for exams that don't matter is so worth it.

I applied to York really wanting to go, visited it and hated it. I was fairly indifferent about Manchester when I applied but after visiting it I firmed it and it's where I'm at now! I visited Sheffield and it seemed a nice place, but of course a person's opinion of it can vary widely across a group of people.
You guys are right. I'm going to visit Sheffield and see if I truly like it. :smile:
Reply 6
Good plan :smile:

Im sure you will! In some of the biggest student surverys the uni and the city and the student union and acommodation and all the rest are voted top in country. Cant remember all the stats, but yeh basically, if it gets rated that highly is got to be a pretty awesome place to be :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by onlyyouknowbest
You guys are right. I'm going to visit Sheffield and see if I truly like it. :smile:

Yep, good idea! I'm from London too and I'm going to try head up on a Monday or Wednesday in the next few weeks (this is when they do tours of the campus outside of Open Days) to check it out. I've heard a lot about it, but it really is best to see for yourself. For example, I heard amazing things about Sussex, went there and didn't really like it at all.
One day not revising won't hurt - and you can do it on the train/coach journey anyway! www.megabus.com is especially cheap by the way - £5.90 from London - return!! I think it's like 4 hours or something, but you could get some good revision done in that time! :biggrin:
Reply 8
You don't necessarily have to go to the open day if you can't make it, I just went with my mum one day for a look round the Student's Union, location of the Uni and the city...I loved it! :smile: If you do go to the open day..one day out of exam prep etc won't do you any harm, especially since it's very important for your future (..what it is you're studying for) :smile:
Thanks guys :biggrin: I'm heading there on the 21st ... :biggrin:
Thanks guys :biggrin: I'm heading there on the 21st ... :biggrin:

How was your experience? Were you able to conclude anything once you visited the campus? I'm a prospective student for the EEE course there, just wanted to know your opinion of the University. Any feedback would be highly appreciated! :smile:

Cheers.
The student area of Sheffield is pretty great. The other parts are not.
I'm a current student at sheffield uni and I firmed without ever actually visting first. Turns out to be one of the best choices I've ever made as I love it!! It's an amazing city to live in and everyone is very friendly :smile:! If you have any questions or anything about it, please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer :smile: xxx
Original post by rainbow_monkey
I'm a current student at sheffield uni and I firmed without ever actually visting first. Turns out to be one of the best choices I've ever made as I love it!! It's an amazing city to live in and everyone is very friendly :smile:! If you have any questions or anything about it, please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer :smile: xxx

I actually really liked it when I went, but the only thing I was quite hesitant about was the whole city in general. Like many I had questions such as, is it a safe city? Will I feel lonely? but I guess these are just the nerves of moving to a completely different city. How are you finding Sheffield? Is the university mixed e.g. different ethnic groups? and what course are you studying? :smile:
Original post by SiddlyWiddly
How was your experience? Were you able to conclude anything once you visited the campus? I'm a prospective student for the EEE course there, just wanted to know your opinion of the University. Any feedback would be highly appreciated! :smile:

Cheers.

I went to Sheffield with no expectations, and I must say it was pretty good. However, the only thing I was concerned about what just feeling lonely there as it is really far from my home. The buildings and facilities were brilliant, everything is in walking distance. It was good. Another thing that I was concerned about what the lack of mix. I have been in a school all my life, literally with ethnic minorities from all over the world, and all my classes from high school up today at Sixth form only has around 20-22 white people, and I feel comfortable like that because that is how school and education has been for me. I have a feeling that I might experience the reverse this time and feel a bit excluded. I know Sheffield has around 22,000 international students (I think) so I shouldn't worry, and I know that I won't feel completely isolated all together....but that's just my experience, but overall, excluding my concerns, the university is absolutely amazing - it has everything that you need.
I actually really liked it when I went, but the only thing I was quite hesitant about was the whole city in general. Like many I had questions such as, is it a safe city? Will I feel lonely? but I guess these are just the nerves of moving to a completely different city. How are you finding Sheffield? Is the university mixed e.g. different ethnic groups? and what course are you studying? :smile:

Hi, i was nervous about safety too when i was moving in but its supposed to be one of the safest cities in england. Whilst i've been living here i havent heard of any crimes against students (fingers crossed it stays this way). Hmmm, i think feeling lonely is something every uni student will experience at some point. I know that in the first few days i was. It soon passes though and as you get to know people it starts to feel like a second home :smile:! I totally love sheffield and am studying biochemistry and microbiology. In my course there seems to be a real mix of people of ethnic groups and its probably the same for other courses too. Hope this helps! :smile:

I should point out that Sheffield is the UK's safest big city by official figures in just about every measure. As to whether you'll be lonely there is such a huge range of societies, organised activities and all sorts that even if you are unlucky and don't find friends immediately in accomodation there are a million ways to meet new people.

The uni is hardly the most ethnically mixed in the country but it seems a very liberal, accepting place where people get on pretty sweetly. The city in general has some difficult parts (as with anywhere) but the centre and student areas are very nice.
Original post by maniacgeorge
I should point out that Sheffield is the UK's safest big city by official figures in just about every measure. As to whether you'll be lonely there is such a huge range of societies, organised activities and all sorts that even if you are unlucky and don't find friends immediately in accomodation there are a million ways to meet new people.

The uni is hardly the most ethnically mixed in the country but it seems a very liberal, accepting place where people get on pretty sweetly. The city in general has some difficult parts (as with anywhere) but the centre and student areas are very nice.

Thanks! That is very helpful :biggrin:
Original post by rainbow_monkey
Hi, i was nervous about safety too when i was moving in but its supposed to be one of the safest cities in england. Whilst i've been living here i havent heard of any crimes against students (fingers crossed it stays this way). Hmmm, i think feeling lonely is something every uni student will experience at some point. I know that in the first few days i was. It soon passes though and as you get to know people it starts to feel like a second home :smile:! I totally love sheffield and am studying biochemistry and microbiology. In my course there seems to be a real mix of people of ethnic groups and its probably the same for other courses too. Hope this helps! :smile:

Thank you so much! It's sooo helpful! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest