The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey, quick question which hopefully someone can help with, I need to work out mole fractions from a proton NMR spectra, we've been given the integrated areas under the peaks, so I assume it's using that, but we haven't actually been taught how. Thanks :smile:
Reply 3341
hiii all the chemists out there,
ahh i really need hepl, has anyone come across partition coefficient? anyone know anything about partition coefficient!? rly need help!
Hi guys!

Quick thermo question: When dT=0, dU=0. Why is this and is there a mathematical way of proving it? Our lectures give reasons for constant volume and pressure relationships, but not constant temperature :s-smilie: . Many thanks! :h:
Hi, just a few questions...

how does the value of the enthalpy change of solution change as solubility incease?

explain why calcium hydroxide is more soluble in water than magnesium hydroxide?
Hi, just a few questions...

how does the value of the enthalpy change of solution change as solubility incease?

explain why calcium hydroxide is more soluble in water than magnesium hydroxide?
anyone willing to help me out on the last C3L6 question?
Original post by volvicstar

(...) explain why calcium hydroxide is more soluble in water than magnesium hydroxide?

Both calcium hydroxide and magnesium hydroxide are solid elements. In terms of the solubility in water, a solid element is more soluble when it has an higher temperature. Calcium hydroxide is soluble by 20 °C (I don't know at the moment what it is in Fahrenheit.) and Magnesium hydroxide is soluble by 18 °C. In related to that calcium hydroxide has a higher mass unit per volume than magnesium hydroxide - 1,7g*l^-1 compared to 9mg*l^-1. That is to say 1,7g per liter solution is soluble in water for example. Solubility increase at high mass unit per volume and decrease at low one. Do you get it?

What did you mean with your first question. I'm sorry, but I'm not an Englishman! I didn't understand you.
Original post by Silverland
anyone willing to help me out on the last C3L6 question?

What is C3L6 an element and your problem about that? What can I do for you?
^doesn't matter, I realised there was a separate thread for it
WhY so dead?
Original post by boromir9111
WhY so dead?

I have no idea. I think there are not so much chemist in this forum at the moment.
Are you interesting in chemistry? which doctrine is your favourite? Have you any paragons in chemistry and why?
(edited 12 years ago)
Exams I think. Nuff said.
Original post by Loz17
Exams I think. Nuff said.

What a pitty... Is there really not a member who is VERY interesting in chemistry (not only for exams)?
Is there not a member who want to talk about one? I'm bored...
Original post by Kallisto
What a pitty... Is there really not a member who is VERY interesting in chemistry?
Is there not a member who want to talk about one? I'm bored...

There's quite a few regulars here who are advanced in various areas of chemistry. They might be around.

Right now, there's no area of chemistry of which I particularly like. I'm interested in medicinal chemistry though.
:ninja2:

Me like chemistry, wish I was still doing the simple stuff, mind :p:
Original post by EierVonSatan
:ninja2:

Me like chemistry, wish I was still doing the simple stuff, mind :p:

Even those doing the "simple stuff" wish it was simpler :p:
Original post by Loz17
I'm interested in medicinal chemistry though.

That sounds interesting. I'm interesting in structure of atomic time and time again.
I can't believe that a particle is soooo unimaginably small and consists of smaller particle charge. Do you know for instance a compound between a neutron and proton need an energy over 250,000 J to disrupt them? that is a fair bit of energy.
A mountaineer for instance need so much to climb a mountain. Is it not fascinating?

I'm also interesting in organic chemistry...
Original post by Loz17
Even those doing the "simple stuff" wish it was simpler :p:

Only when it involves maths!!

Also found this rather amusing!
Original post by illusionz
Only when it involves maths!!

Most of it seem to involve maths right now. The only chemistry module that doesn't is organic!
Original post by Loz17
Most of it seem to involve maths right now. The only chemistry module that doesn't is organic!

Which is why organic is the best sort of chemistry!

Latest