The Student Room Group

What should I do!!??

So I've got all five offers and really loved Sheffield when I visited but even though I loved the actual uni..the course isn't as good as some of the other unis and offers I have. I've basically got to decide between Sheffield or st Andrews. I really want a good job after uni..if I go to st Andrews will my degree be more highly respected?! Argh I'm so confused. Will I get a better job if I go to st Andrews? That's why my teachers told me :frown:
Sheffiled is a highly respected university too - so if that will make you more happy, do that :smile:. Had this issue with Manchester/Liverpool, i ended up firming Liverpool, as although Manchester is more highly regarded, i know i wouldn't be as happy there. You're future is important, but so are the next three years of you're life!

Also, if you feel obliges to put St Andrews, could you not put Sheffield as insurance?
Original post by zizi8
So I've got all five offers and really loved Sheffield when I visited but even though I loved the actual uni..the course isn't as good as some of the other unis and offers I have. I've basically got to decide between Sheffield or st Andrews. I really want a good job after uni..if I go to st Andrews will my degree be more highly respected?! Argh I'm so confused. Will I get a better job if I go to st Andrews? That's why my teachers told me :frown:

It depends what the course is on how it will be viewed. Have you visited St.Andrews yet? If you really love Sheffield, then you're more likely to do better on your course because you'll be happy with the environment. Whereas if you didn't like the atmosphere at St.Andrews then you're more likely to do worse if you're not happy there. Imo a higher result from Sheffield would be more respected than a lower result from St.Andrews :h:
Reply 3
I don't think the uni ranking would matter alot as it really depends on your attitude toward learning
Reply 4
for what degree?
Reply 5
I, personally, would go for St. Andrews, but if you think you have fallen in love with Sheffield, I would go there as I think you may find it more enjoyable.:smile: Good Luck in the future
Reply 6
if I were you, I would follow my gut instinct. Flip a coin, but don't look at how it lands. Often, while the coin is mid-flip, you uncontrollably hope that it will point towards one of them.
Reply 7
Original post by zizi8

The short answer is yes, between two identical degrees from St. Andrews and Sheffield the St. Andrews degree will be more 'respected'. Whether or not this equates to a better job is a whole different matter, but St. Andrews is certainly a tier above Sheffield in terms of reputation and rankings (The Granuiad frequently have it 3rd in the country, Times in top 5). It also comes top for student satisfaction pretty frequently which is usually a good sign!

Have you visited St. Andrews? It is very different from Sheffield... if nightclubs are your thing and you're looking to party for a few years, I'd opt for Sheffield. If you're thinking in terms of academics or prospects then probably St. Andrews (although you could do very well going to either - they're both good universities).

If you're bright enough to get an offer from St. Andrews, then you're also bright enough to do well there (provided you don't mind working). So I wouldn't worry too much about the idea that it'd be easier to do well at Sheffield etc.

One thing you should definitely look up is the structure of a Scottish degree as (especially in the arts) it is very different to the English comparison (for one thing it's usually 4 years).
In all honesty I think it depends on what course you are going to study as different universities are better at different things. I'm currently studying at Sheffield University and am having an amazing time! Although it may not be as well regarded as some other universities, it is one of the top in the country for my course and so suits me well. It may be helpful for you to draw up a list of the pros and cons of each university to help you make up your mind. Best of luck :smile:
Reply 9
If you really loved Sheffield, you should think seriously about going there unless the course is really not as good. The hype about league tables on TSR is just that - hype. Given similar types of university (St Andrews is not vastly different from Sheffield) employers care more about the work experiences you have had, your attitudes as shown by your personal references and your academic record than which particular university you went to. Go with your heart!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending