The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

How hard is Physics AS if you've only done double Science?
probably depends on your grades for double science
Reply 3082
is maths, bio, chem and dt()resistant materials
would that be alright for dentistry ??
Original post by multiplexing-gamer

I only took Double Science at GCSE and I'm one of only two people who got an A in the January Modules at my school. Physics is one of the harder subjects at A Level anyway, but I don't think that you're handicapped in comparison to people who took triple science. In fact, I would personally say that your Maths grade is arguably a better indicator of how you'll do at A Level - there are a couple of people in my class who took Physics without Maths after having got a C at their GCSE maths and they are what I'd call handicapped.

In other words, there isn't a double/triple divide from my experience. If you want to do Physics then go for it. It is a difficult subject, but that goes for everyone, not just double scientists.

@Evanz: Maths and Physics are good choices but Sociology is irrelevant and no university will look at Photography. I would recommend taking Further Maths over Photography, as it's cited by many top universities for Computer Science, and if you're taking Maths and Physics then it fits in nicely. Sociology could stay, but I'd have a look at what other subjects unis like for computer science just to make sure.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by krisshP
probably depends on your grades for double science

A* in core Science A/A* In additional
Original post by DJMayes
I only took Double Science at GCSE and I'm one of only two people who got an A in the January Modules at my school. Physics is one of the harder subjects at A Level anyway, but I don't think that you're handicapped in comparison to people who took triple science. In fact, I would personally say that your Maths grade is arguably a better indicator of how you'll do at A Level - there are a couple of people in my class who took Physics without Maths after having got a C at their GCSE maths and they are what I'd call handicapped.

In other words, there isn't a double/triple divide from my experience. If you want to do Physics then go for it. It is a difficult subject, but that goes for everyone, not just double scientists.

@Evanz: Maths and Physics are good choices but Sociology is irrelevant and no university will look at Photography. I would recommend taking Further Maths over Photography, as it's cited by many top universities for Computer Science, and if you're taking Maths and Physics then it fits in nicely. Sociology could stay, but I'd have a look at what other subjects unis like for computer science just to make sure.

thanks, yes I'd say my Maths is quite good, I got an A in year 10...
Original post by Evanz
Hi,

I want to study computer sciene at uni, do you think i will be ok if i did maths, psyics,sociology and photography at a level?

Hi. This is an Oxford-specific answer, but hopefully it will be helpful to you.

If you wanted to apply to us here at Oxford maths is absolutely essential. Like many other Russel Group universities we highly recommend Further Maths, if your school offers it. We understand that not everyone can take Further Maths, but Computer Science is a very mathematical subject, especially the way we teach it here at Oxford. (That's why all our applicants sit a maths-based aptitude test.) We think doing Further Maths is the best preparation for one of our CS degrees. We also suggest a science subject such as Physics.

Neither Sociology or Photography are relevant to us, but if you wanted to do one as a fourth/fifth A Level that would be fine by us.

Some students have come to us having done Computing at A Level, many don't. Our courses start from first principles, so you don't need to have formerly studied the subject before coming to us, but we are looking for students with a genuine interest in the subject.

Our standard offer for straight Computer Science is A*AA with at least an A in Maths. The A* has to be in either Maths, Further Maths, Physics or Computing. A Levels (or equivalent) are of course just one part of the application process.
Original post by multiplexing-gamer

I can't speak for physics but having done the other two sciences after double science, I can say with confidence that it makes no difference. GCSE science, whether double or triple, is very easy and doesn't prepare you at a good enough level, regardless of the breadth of stuff you've covered. Don't let me put you off, if you're good at science you'll be fine, what I'm saying is that plenty of people do triple science but still struggle at A level because it doesn't give any advantage in terms of the level of stuff you're learning, only the breadth. In my view triple science is a waste of time if chosen over some more fun subject :tongue:
Reply 3087
If I were to take FM in year 13, and wanted to apply to universities and courses which needed FM, would they consider that fact or look solely at my Maths AS?
Reply 3088
Original post by justinawe
Hi, I'm looking to do the MORSE course at Warwick, or otherwise do any sort of Maths+Economics course.

I've already decided on 3 subjects:

Maths
Further Maths
Economics

However, every college I have visited require you to take FM as a fourth subject only, meaning it is compulsory for me a take another subject.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good 4th subject to take?

I'm naturally good at maths and I enjoy it, so anything Maths-based would be good. Anything else related to the courses I'm looking to do would help as well.

Physics - its as close to mathematics as possible and will complement your other 3 very well.

Maybe an essay subject like History or Politics will help the Economics side a bit more, but since your focusing on maths it won't be necessary. Unless you want to do 5.
Original post by USB
If I were to take FM in year 13, and wanted to apply to universities and courses which needed FM, would they consider that fact or look solely at my Maths AS?

It's probably worth checking with the Depts/Unis you're applying to but it's something we quite often see applications from students who took A Level Maths in year 12 and Further Maths in year 13; or students haven't yet cached in the modules. (We don't actually require Further Maths, but we do strongly recommend it.) When we're considering applicants we look at everything we know about you:
* your performance across a range of subjects at GCSE (or equivalent),
* your AS/A level or module results if you have any, and/or predicted grades
* your personal statement on the UCAS form,
* the confidential reference (and estimated grades for future exams) on the UCAS form,
* your performance in the Aptitude Test that our candidates sit
* your performance in the interviews.

So we'd take both into account. Just make sure you include what you haven't done in the further exams bit of the UCAS form.
Reply 3090
Hi everyone, i think this question might've been asked before, but what is A level English literature like? Is it difficult in terms of getting the points correct in exams like some say? :confused:
Original post by mintbear
Hi everyone, i think this question might've been asked before, but what is A level English literature like? Is it difficult in terms of getting the points correct in exams like some say? :confused:

Yeah I'm wondering this too. Is anyone doing English lit and the exam board as AQA?

Original post by Safiya122
Yeah I'm wondering this too. Is anyone doing English lit and the exam board as AQA?

I'm not AQA, but A level English Literature is the perfect subject if you're interested in books, poems and their backgrounds.

The exams are in some ways very similar, and in other ways very different. The allocated marks are pretty much identical to GCSE, however at A level you are expected to formulate and hold your own opinions, views and arguments. A level also probes much more into the context of the literature (When it was written, why it was written, what social/ political implications (on) its history could have). You also have to study criticisms and reviews of all the pieces you study, and be prepared to quote/ use those reviews in your essays and extended answers. The sort of essay standard is: A at GCSE is roughly B/C at AS. However, you will learn to develop and improve your essay skills (but it helps to already be good). Hence, I would recommend A level EngLit to people who are expected A/A* at GCSE. But if you're hard working and enthusiastic then by all means go for it.

The "should I do english literature" question is very simple actually; (unless you're absolutely brilliant) do it if you enjoy reading and analysis (and perhaps re-reading). Don't do it if you find reading a bit of a chore. Also be aware that the subject is very heavily essay focused, it is by no means a soft A level.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Llewellyn
I'm not AQA, but A level English Literature is the perfect subject if you're interested in books, poems and their backgrounds.

The exams are in some ways very similar, and in other ways very different. The allocated marks are pretty much identical to GCSE, however at A level you are expected to formulate and hold your own opinions, views and arguments. A level also probes much more into the context of the literature (When it was written, why it was written, what social/ political implications (on) its history could have). You also have to study criticisms and reviews of all the pieces you study, and be prepared to quote/ use those reviews in your essays and extended answers. The sort of essay standard is: A at GCSE is roughly B/C at AS. However, you will learn to develop and improve your essay skills (but it helps to already be good). Hence, I would recommend A level EngLit to people who are expected A/A* at GCSE. But if you're hard working and enthusiastic then by all means go for it.

The "should I do english literature" question is very simple actually; (unless you're absolutely brilliant) do it if you enjoy reading and analysis (and perhaps re-reading). Don't do it if you find reading a bit of a chore. Also be aware that the subject is very heavily essay focused, it is by no means a soft A level.

Tbh poems can bore me if I've been learning about them for so long, however I do find reading interesting and like doing essays. I plan on getting a B for English Lit in Foundation, will I still have a good chance of getting a good grade overall?
Tbh poems can bore me if I've been learning about them for so long, however I do find reading interesting and like doing essays. I plan on getting a B for English Lit in Foundation, will I still have a good chance of getting a good grade overall?

Mm well there are different kinds of poems I guess. You don't have to like anything by the way, if you can justify why you think something isn't good/ doesn't work that is worth just as many marks as saying it's good.

If you like reading and writing essays and perhaps thinking outside the box (having your own ideas) then I would say you'd probably be ok for A level English. The grade you get will ultimately come down to how much hard work you put in, not just in learning but also thinking about the books and poems in your own time, and developing ideas and points you could develop.

Overall, EngLit A level is similar to GCSE, so I'd make the decision based on that more than anything.
Mm well there are different kinds of poems I guess. You don't have to like anything by the way, if you can justify why you think something isn't good/ doesn't work that is worth just as many marks as saying it's good.

If you like reading and writing essays and perhaps thinking outside the box (having your own ideas) then I would say you'd probably be ok for A level English. The grade you get will ultimately come down to how much hard work you put in, not just in learning but also thinking about the books and poems in your own time, and developing ideas and points you could develop.

Overall, EngLit A level is similar to GCSE, so I'd make the decision based on that more than anything.

I've already done part of my English lit and passed the poems part but right now we're doing inspector calls and of mice and men and I enjoy it..most of the time :L thanks for the advice. I'm going to choose it as an A-level and will hopefully do well and enjoy it :smile:
Reply 3096

Thank you for your reply :smile: I haven't done the exam yet but i'm predicted an A at GCSE. I got a B last year (will resit, i was 5 marks off) in english language GCSE and was probably a effected by that in making the decision of whether or not to do eng lit at A level.

I've already done part of my English lit and passed the poems part but right now we're doing inspector calls and of mice and men and I enjoy it..most of the time :L thanks for the advice. I'm going to choose it as an A-level and will hopefully do well and enjoy it :smile:

Same here~ But i've studied An inspector calls and of mice and men first, now i'm onto the poems... :tongue:
Thank you for your reply :smile: I haven't done the exam yet but i'm predicted an A at GCSE. I got a B last year (will resit, i was 5 marks off) in english language GCSE and was probably a effected by that in making the decision of whether or not to do eng lit at A level.

Same here~ But i've studied An inspector calls and of mice and men first, now i'm onto the poems... :tongue:

Haha :smile: Which one do you find better?
Reply 3098
Haha :smile: Which one do you find better?

I quite like both of them :smile:
An Inspector Calls got a bit boring because I read it when I was doing my English language GCSE. Reading it the second time was dull because we knew how it ends. But i remember when i first read it, it seemed very cleverly written because everything is linked at the end.

Of Mice and Men was so sad :frown: It's quite clever too as everything mentioned at the beginning comes back at the end and every detail told by the author is needed to get the whole picture of the story.

It's great, there's another class whose doing To kill a mockingbird instead of Of Mice and Men though. Don't know which ones better!

What other A level subjects are you planning to take?
Psychology, law and sociology. I take sociology as an extra GCSE and I remember when my teacher was off and when we had a supply for six weeks, I really enjoyed the homework she'd give and how she would teach but my main teacher is back and no disrespect to him and all but the way he teaches is really dull. Kinda makes me worried that if I choose to do it as an A-level, the teacher will make it dull too.

Latest