The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2640
Original post by Kevmeister
Your dad doesn't have to give you permission. :wink2:

As for a first car, personally I'd go for something Japanese - Starlet, Micra, Swift - you may get a Yaris. All should be low insurance as they're not 'hip' cars.

Will have a look in to those cars :beard:

Where is the best place to look for cars? I've been having a general browse through auto trader.
Original post by Mess.
Will have a look in to those cars :beard:

Where is the best place to look for cars? I've been having a general browse through auto trader.

Given you live in Liverpool, you should be able to get a good car at a used dealership. Then you may get some sort of warranty/more likely to come with a full MOT and so forth. Just check similar cars on auto trader for price comparison reasons, but do expect to pay a tad more at a dealership.
Thoughts on a citroen saxo 1.1i forte as a first car anyone? :smile: 2002 btw
I'm trying to buy a car when I get my license; how much is your insurance?
Original post by Chris Nicole
I'm trying to buy a car when I get my license; how much is your insurance?

Mine's £600 or there about. :dry:
Bought my first car today. Red Nissan Micra. Picking it up on Monday :biggrin:
Thoughts on 2003-2004 1.4 Peugeot 206 guys?
Checking these out in upcoming weeks for my first car :smile:
Any tips appreciated
Reply 2647
Original post by Sockhead
Thoughts on 2003-2004 1.4 Peugeot 206 guys?
Checking these out in upcoming weeks for my first car :smile:
Any tips appreciated

My gf had one until very recently, hers' was very reliable just regular maintenance work only for 180k km, no real issues till then when it needed a new steering rack, balljoints, engine mounts and shocks all round. Other than that everything else worked well with it.

My family had an 04 206 CC 2.0l , it was nothing but pure troublesome french crap. 3 days after the car arrived the passenger side airbag deployed for no reason, the car would just shutoff for no reason, warning lights would go on for no reason especially the ABS lamp, power windows 3 of the 4 motors had to be replaced before the car had it's first tax renewal which it never had because the last straw came when the roof wouldn't close, there we were trying to close the roof with an approaching storm the system blew a fuse and we replaced the fuse and it blew the fuse again, we didn't bother closing the roof drove it straight to a Peugeot garage and told them to sort it out and we wanted the car returned clean and dry. After that we traded it in.

Kinda of a lottery whether you get a good one, but having said that most parts for it are quite cheap in UK since it was once produced in UK.
Thoughts on a Smart City/For2?

All I need it for is to drive to the gym and maybe shopping
Reply 2649
Original post by AndersonsBentFoot
Thoughts on a Smart City/For2?

All I need it for is to drive to the gym and maybe shopping

If it is a couple of years old, then I won't buy one. The gearbox might very suddenly require lots of expensive repairs. Many of it fails with zero warning or symptoms. The main parts that go are the clutch solenoid and the actuator that changes the gears. Sometimes the module that communicates between the engine and gearbox will also fail... none of these parts are readily available from a hellfrauds or the usual under-shed mechanic, if it fails you will need to go back to Smart garage to have it diagnosed and then fixed at franchised dealer prices.

Since you are going to drive so little, you're better off buying something else.
Reply 2650
Fiat Punto MK2 (~2000 reg)

Anyone got any stark warnings about these cars? :tongue:
Reply 2651
Original post by wibletg
Fiat Punto MK2 (~2000 reg)

Anyone got any stark warnings about these cars? :tongue:

Mileage and engine?
Reply 2652
Original post by Herr
Mileage and engine?

1.2 litre engine, 75k on the clock :smile:
caarrr.jpg

Whoop whoop first car.
Original post by wibletg

Just make sure you always ask if the cambelt's been replaced with it having done over 60k miles.
Reply 2655
Original post by wibletg

Most things on that car is fine, except the electric power steering which is prone to failure at that type of mileage, would definitely cost more than the car to replace.

The other thing with that car is the wiring loom is prone to faults and while it is easy to rectify or just live with it does get annoying... but as a cheap first car then it is fine.... though I'd probably get something else as the last time I drove one in 2003 I found it too bouncy on UK roads.
Reply 2656
ddd
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi everyone :smile:

Soo i passed my driving test last month *yayy* and am looking for a 5 door manual car, only problem is my budget is £600. Any reccomendations?

P.S quote me when you reply please
Reply 2658
Original post by pinky_pwincess

Soo i passed my driving test last month *yayy* and am looking for a 5 door manual car, only problem is my budget is £600. Any reccomendations?

How much do you have for insurance? Whack a few random cars from autotrader in and see what you get quoted
Reply 2659
Original post by pinky_pwincess

1.6L petrol Focus would be a good bet.

Latest