The Student Room Group

An American at Trinity College Dublin?

Hi everyone!

First, apologies for posting about Trinity, I know this is a UK website and Dublin isn't technically part of the UK, but I'm having a very difficult time finding this sort of forum/info for Ireland!

I'm an American with a BA (psychology) from a university in New York and I am very interested in applying to the social work Masters program at Trinity. I think the website says the GPA requirement is a 3.2, and while mine is slightly higher (3.4) it's not stellar.

I do have 2 internships relating to social services under my belt and am currently training to become a certified crisis counselor, which I'm hoping will boost my application, but Trinity seems difficult to get into so I'm a little discouraged.

Does anybody on here have any useful info about the school? Any other Americans who have successfully applied? I did e-mail the head of the program last week but have got no response :frown: Anything is appreciated!

~Marlena
Reply 1
You should definitely apply, especially if you have a higher GPA than what they require.

I am generally under the impression that universities are not that strict when it comes to international students, simply because these students are often paying 2-3 times as much as EU students...

Good luck!
Reply 2
Try Boards.ie and its forum for Trinity. That way at least you might hear back from people who are actually in TCD.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=468
Reply 3
Original post by Marlena002
Hi everyone!

First, apologies for posting about Trinity, I know this is a UK website and Dublin isn't technically part of the UK, but I'm having a very difficult time finding this sort of forum/info for Ireland!

I'm an American with a BA (psychology) from a university in New York and I am very interested in applying to the social work Masters program at Trinity. I think the website says the GPA requirement is a 3.2, and while mine is slightly higher (3.4) it's not stellar.

I do have 2 internships relating to social services under my belt and am currently training to become a certified crisis counselor, which I'm hoping will boost my application, but Trinity seems difficult to get into so I'm a little discouraged.

Does anybody on here have any useful info about the school? Any other Americans who have successfully applied? I did e-mail the head of the program last week but have got no response :frown: Anything is appreciated!

~Marlena

Hi, I am an American, too, and I got accepted by Trinity. My GPA is higher, but I still do not think you will have a problem, since they will have you to pay full cost as an international student, no funding of any kind. They do make good money on that, and as Americans we can borrow from FAFSA whatever is needed, so it is a win-win situation. So far I was accepted almost everywhere, including Oxford, but no one is giving any funding.
Reply 4
Thanks guys, I'll definitely check out that website Ruire.

Congrats on your acceptances janjanmmm! Haha I was kind of hoping the fact that they can charge me extraordinary prices might help my case! :wink: May I ask what your GPA was?
Reply 5
Thanks guys, I'll definitely check out that website Ruire.

Congrats on your acceptances janjanmmm! Haha I was kind of hoping the fact that they can charge me extraordinary prices might help my case! :wink: May I ask what your GPA was?

Thank you!

Mine is 3.86, but I definitely heard of people with 3.4-3.5 getting offers from very good schools. In fact, there was a guy with 2.9 who got an offer from Durham!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by janjanmmm
Thank you!

Mine is 3.86, but I definitely heard of people with 3.4-3.5 getting offers from very good schools. In fact, there was a guy with 2.9 who got an offer from Durham!

Oh god so yours was way higher haha. Oh well, I won't know until I try eh? Hopefully my personal statement will speak louder. The real pain is in all my sociology/psychology courses I got mostly As (and a few Bs)...the Cs came from my required pre-calculus and biology courses which had nothing to do with my major :mad: Really screwed me up that!
Reply 7
Oh god so yours was way higher haha. Oh well, I won't know until I try eh? Hopefully my personal statement will speak louder. The real pain is in all my sociology/psychology courses I got mostly As (and a few Bs)...the Cs came from my required pre-calculus and biology courses which had nothing to do with my major :mad: Really screwed me up that!

I think it should be fine, don't worry.
I got a very quick decision from them, too, I applied on November 21 and got status change online to "conditional offer" few says before Christmas, Dec 20!
Hi, I am an Irish student who graduated from Trinity last year (undergrad). If you search for Trinity College Dublin and limit it to the International Study forum my posts might help with general info about Trinity and Dublin. I second the www.boards.ie TCD forum. It's the most active forum for the college. I met plenty of Americans while I was in Trinity- usually one-semester students but a good few full undergrads. I'm not sure how the proportion will alter if it does at all for postgrad but in general- 1 in 8 students is international, the highest non-Irish are British students.

http://www.tcd.ie/international/ This might help if you havent seen it yet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending