The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Only just found this thread, and some of the posts are just really irrelevant - this thread could prove so useful to people who're actually interested in undergrad reapplication!

Anyways, was wondering if anyone managed to find out which universities allow/accept applicants undergoing 1st year of undergrad study? For this year? All i know is that Imperial and UCL probably do but I need to make sure...
Reply 61
Original post by eaglo602
Only just found this thread, and some of the posts are just really irrelevant - this thread could prove so useful to people who're actually interested in undergrad reapplication!

Anyways, was wondering if anyone managed to find out which universities allow/accept applicants undergoing 1st year of undergrad study? For this year? All i know is that Imperial and UCL probably do but I need to make sure...

I called up imperial recently about this and they said they allow it but they don't encourage this and their selector don't look favorably on this either. :angry:
Not sure about UCL, i thought they don't allow this but I haven't call up so I'm not sure!
Reply 62
Hey Everyone

I just wanted to ask if anyone knows if its possible to apply to a medical school in uk after studying a year of science foundation at Kings College ? I would appreciate your replies thanks !
Reply 63
Original post by ef8888
I called up imperial recently about this and they said they allow it but they don't encourage this and their selector don't look favorably on this either. :angry:
Not sure about UCL, i thought they don't allow this but I haven't call up so I'm not sure!

Hmmm well it makes sense that they discourage people due to the whole ''being unfair to desert the course that someone else who would've really wanted to be at, but couldn't get a place for'' argument. I think as long as you have a very good, honest reasons and determination for doing this they should be kind enough to consider your application.

I'm gonna call other unis about it later today, let's hear what they say...I'm kinda scared that they will all say no :/
Reply 64
Hmmm well it makes sense that they discourage people due to the whole ''being unfair to desert the course that someone else who would've really wanted to be at, but couldn't get a place for'' argument. I think as long as you have a very good, honest reasons and determination for doing this they should be kind enough to consider your application.

I'm gonna call other unis about it later today, let's hear what they say...I'm kinda scared that they will all say no :/

Which unis did you call up in the end and what did they say???
Reply 65
got a 728 UKCAT, wrote a much better personal statement, and I felt like I had an amazing interview (when I went through what I said for the interview with a doctor I know, he told me my answers were very good)
I still got a rejection from Peninsula. I feel like death.
Reply 66

got a 728 UKCAT, wrote a much better personal statement, and I felt like I had an amazing interview (when I went through what I said for the interview with a doctor I know, he told me my answers were very good)
I still got a rejection from Peninsula. I feel like death.

Sorry to hear this. I remember you posting last year. Have you got any applications outstanding to hope for?
Reply 67
Hello guys, it's been a while!
I'm currently at Warwick University studying Biomedical Chemistry (it's a really tough course actually! Workload-wise, as intensive as medicine I think) but I thought I would reapply again this year seeing as I have nothing to lose by doing so. I applied to Peninsula, Southampton, Imperial and UCL, but I didn't perform too well on the essay section so the BMAT unis were out of the question.
After 3 years of persistence, I have finally been given a medical school offer! From University of Southampton! :smile:
Reply 68
I'm currently at Warwick University studying Biomedical Chemistry (it's a really tough course actually! Workload-wise, as intensive as medicine I think) but I thought I would reapply again this year seeing as I have nothing to lose by doing so. I applied to Peninsula, Southampton, Imperial and UCL, but I didn't perform too well on the essay section so the BMAT unis were out of the question.
After 3 years of persistence, I have finally been given a medical school offer! From University of Southampton! :smile:

Well done. My daughter -also in the first year of a degree - has a Soton offer too!
Reply 69

Original post by Mother2
Well done. My daughter -also in the first year of a degree - has a Soton offer too!

Hi guys, firstly well done eaglo602/Mother2's daughter on the offers!
So, unfortunately I got 4 rejections this year.. but I received an offer for Biomed at UCL (AAA). I'm in completely two minds whether I should take a gap year or accept the offer and apply after a year (probably to Leicester, Imperial, Newcastle and BSMS/Southampton) and hopeeee that I get in but if I dont then I can embark on GEM.. (though GEM would NOT be ideal..)..(instead of having potentially having 'wasted' a gap year) any advice :smile: ?

What I was also wondering is how important do you think it is to get better than AAA ie A*s for reapplicants, bearing in mind a lot of year 13's are applying with lots of predicted A*s? I think this may be more important if I took a gap year than reapplying

Basically my situation..Academically I'm not too bad, and what messed me up really this year was my choice of unis I think (2 BMATs after messing up 3rd section.. and Birmingham I knew my GCSE A*s would be borderline after hearing only 20 got interviews with 8 last year.. and awaiting post interview feedback from cardiff). Basically Im just not sure how a gap year could improve my application that much compared with reapplying having started at UCL, as being at UCL in september (grades permitting) I could still get w/e / improve my UKCAT/BMAT scores/ do volunteering etc in time for October!

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated thanks! :smile:
Reply 70
I'm not really best placed to reply but wanted to be polite:smile:. Generally everyone on here advises a gap year. My daughter decided to go to uni and try again partly because of the fee rise, which won't apply to you and also because she was a resit applicant and thought her chances were slim. She didn't want to find herself after a gap year doing the same Biomed course but with £9,000 fees.

She was also genuinely interested in the course, whilst still wanting to do medicine.

Not sure if this helps, as I say everyone always advises a gap year and more strategic applications.

QUOTE=Dan (Y);36898727]Hi guys, firstly well done eaglo602/Mother2's daughter on the offers!
So, unfortunately I got 4 rejections this year.. but I received an offer for Biomed at UCL (AAA). I'm in completely two minds whether I should take a gap year or accept the offer and apply after a year (probably to Leicester, Imperial, Newcastle and BSMS/Southampton) and hopeeee that I get in but if I dont then I can embark on GEM.. (though GEM would NOT be ideal..)..(instead of having potentially having 'wasted' a gap year) any advice :smile: ?

What I was also wondering is how important do you think it is to get better than AAA ie A*s for reapplicants, bearing in mind a lot of year 13's are applying with lots of predicted A*s? I think this may be more important if I took a gap year than reapplying

Basically my situation..Academically I'm not too bad, and what messed me up really this year was my choice of unis I think (2 BMATs after messing up 3rd section.. and Birmingham I knew my GCSE A*s would be borderline after hearing only 20 got interviews with 8 last year.. and awaiting post interview feedback from cardiff). Basically Im just not sure how a gap year could improve my application that much compared with reapplying having started at UCL, as being at UCL in september (grades permitting) I could still get w/e / improve my UKCAT/BMAT scores/ do volunteering etc in time for October!

Well done! just out of interest, what A Levels did you get?
Reply 72
Guys, you may already know this but I got this email from Exeter Medical School (2013)

Many thanks for your email. We do accept applications from students already studying at university and your application would not be treated any differently because of this. We also accept applications from students who have re-sat one or more of their A Level exams. For further information about our entry requirements, please visit www.exeter.ac.uk/medicine/bmbs/entry

If you are interested in applying for medicine in 2013, why not come along to one of our open days? To book your place, www.exeter.ac.uk/medicine/visiting

If we can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Yours sincerely
Jessica
Admissions Enquiries Administrator
Yeah, one guy in my biomed course at UCL got a Birmingham offer during his first year.
Reply 74
Original post by Waterstorm
Yeah, one guy in my biomed course at UCL got a Birmingham offer during his first year.

Hey Birmingham have said (for 2012 entry at least), "We do not normally consider applicants who withdraw from other courses.".. but obviously he was sucessful, do you know how many A*s at GCSE he got?

I was rejected pre interview by birmingham this year with 8.. Dont know if it'd be possible that having A levels and first year of UCL biomed would help at all?? thanks!
Reply 75
Yeah bear in mind Peninsula is splitting into Plymouth and Exeter so thats probably one more uni which will accept reapplying in your first year of a degree
Reply 76
Original post by Dan (Y)
Hey Birmingham have said (for 2012 entry at least), "We do not normally consider applicants who withdraw from other courses.".. but obviously he was sucessful, do you know how many A*s at GCSE he got?

I was rejected pre interview by birmingham this year with 8.. Dont know if it'd be possible that having A levels and first year of UCL biomed would help at all?? thanks!

Although I think theyve changed for 2013 :frown: as the email I got from them.. = Thank you for your enquiry. We do not consider applicants who are studying on a degree programme and are not in their final year.

Regards,

Austen Spruce
Original post by Dan (Y)

That was last year, so for 2011 entry - sorry, didn't say that. So he's in his first year of medicine now.

Haven't a clue about his grades though.
Reply 78
Original post by Dan (Y)
Hi guys, firstly well done eaglo602/Mother2's daughter on the offers!

First of all, don't let the rejections get to you. As a guy who's been in your shoes I know how frustrating it is but obviously if your heart is set on medicine, then simply 1 or 2 years' delay doesn't make any difference in the long run! A Gap Year is really up to you...although I didn't get offers during mine, I do not think my year was a waste as I learnt valuable lessons and skills (albeit the hard stressful way) and have had the opportunity to mature more than students getting in straight out of a-levels. If you are thinking of taking a year out, make sure to plan it out thoroughly - I personally suggest getting a job (e.g. HCA - this helped me SO MUCH) or even more volunteering (more doesn't hurt!).
Even though I was at uni, I wanted to gain more experience so I went to Vietnam this christmas holiday to volunteer at 2 different orphanages (i-to-i volunteering, if you're interested). It was an insane experience and I got to see the vast cultural differences in healthcare!

Regarding grades, I don't think it should make any difference whether you're competing with A* candidates, because as long as you meet the grade criteria you shouldn't be put at any disadvantage (you need to check this when you apply because some unis actually say they prefer A*s). However, I'm spouting the obvious but if you plan to retake exams make sure to check with the unis if they don't mind you doing so.
Other than exam grades, what you need to focus on is your Personal Statement and the UKCAT. These are vital. Rejections without interviews is likely due to your PS because even if you have the grades unless you show clear motivation and willingness to succeed in medschool they will just toss your application to the side. Harsh, but it happens. From personal experience, as my PS improved each year, the response from the unis seemed to be more positive (more interviews). The more people you consult about your PS, the better, since you get loads of different opinions and help this way. You could also look at organisations such as M&D or ISC Medical to help you write PS and also prepare interviews (though if you have connections with doctors, get them to help too!)
Absolutely nailing the UKCAT definitely helps the process as well! I'd recommend you start practising again as early as you can...if you have exams though, they come first! Oh and it's better if your score is well-balanced across all 4 sections rather than, e.g., getting 800 in decision analysis but get below 600 in quant. It just helps to give off better impression of you that you're a well-rounded in many areas.
With the BMAT, if you're taking a GY then you'll have good few months after the UKCAT to just concentrate on the BMAT. But if you plan to reapply whilst being in first year of uni, it won't be that easy since you have degree-load of work to do simultaneously as well - speaking from experience again!

If you're unsure about anything, I'll be glad to help.

Oh and I got 8A*s + 2As in GCSEs, 1A*3A's in my A-levels :smile:
UKCAT score was 728 this year (665 in 2010, 695 last year)
Reply 79
I also got an offer by this route so it is definitely do-able! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending