The Student Room Group
University of Buckingham
University of Buckingham
Buckingham
Visit website

University Of Buckingham

Scroll to see replies

i think the university is great and the nightlife aspect is not to bad as you've got milton keynes, the only downside i feel is the fact that you dont get a summer which is kind of frustrating but if that means i can safe a year of education to go on to do a masters then its worth it
University of Buckingham
University of Buckingham
Buckingham
Visit website
Original post by maitai
Yeah, I know exactly how you feel. I'm having serious second thoughts of even putting it as my safety :/

Where else have you got offers come?
Reply 42
Original post by Silver Aurora
Where else have you got offers come?

York and Aberystwyth.
I'm am making York my firm and then thinking of putting Aber as my insurance... I don't know. I am a confused mess. I wish I could apply to a few more unis to have more choice!!
Gah.
Original post by maitai
York and Aberystwyth.
I'm am making York my firm and then thinking of putting Aber as my insurance... I don't know. I am a confused mess. I wish I could apply to a few more unis to have more choice!!
Gah.

I'd say those two are better Unis than Buckingham. Any idea when the deadline is for accepting the Buckingham offer?
Reply 44
Original post by Silver Aurora
I'd say those two are better Unis than Buckingham. Any idea when the deadline is for accepting the Buckingham offer?

I have no idea. Buckingham would be my safety anyway... I might just go with Aber. So I can keep my summers! :P
Reply 45
Original post by maitai
Is it as dead as people make it out to be?

Yes it is. No joke.

Original post by maitai
York and Aberystwyth.
Gah.

Overall, York is easily the best of all those universities on paper. However, what features you want from your university can only be determined if you visit them.

Original post by kiss_me_now9
The nightlife in MK is pretty much the best you'll get in the area - that or Watford if you're willing to travel. Just avoid Wycombe.

People do go to Milton Keynes, but they've just closed the Oceana club this last week that a few people I know went to until they tried to steal a coat. Watford - not a chance. The best place to go is easily Oxford, which is an hour away by X5 bus. The only issue is coming back.

Folks don't bother travelling, and save expenses for going home at every available opportunity as the town is as dead as people make it out to be.

However, you don't need very many people to make a good house party or chill session. That is what works for me, but if you are looking for a clubbing nightlife, it's not going to happen in Bucks.

Original post by kiss_me_now9
Hence the 'willing to travel' part. Yeah, head into London if you want to pay London prices :/

You will find that people are going to be willing to pay those prices because London offers so many places to go. You will save a tonne of money at Bucks simply due to the dead social scene and so trips to London/Oxford/Cambridge (where pints are less than a quid more costly in your standard pub) will be easily accommodated in your drinking budget.

Original post by the man from space
i think the university is great and the nightlife aspect is not to bad as you've got milton keynes, the only downside i feel is the fact that you dont get a summer which is kind of frustrating but if that means i can safe a year of education to go on to do a masters then its worth it

That is the university's niche. However, come and visit to make your impressions before committing. Although you save nearly a year, two years is still a long time to waste as I have come to find out. For me, I have to make the most of my "free" year in order to justify my coming here.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Disgrace
People do go to Milton Keynes, but they've just closed the Oceana club this last week that a few people I know went to until they tried to steal a coat. Watford - not a chance. The best place to go is easily Oxford, which is an hour away by X5 bus. The only issue is coming back.

Folks don't bother travelling, and save expenses for going home at every available opportunity as the town is as dead as people make it out to be.

However, you don't need very many people to make a good house party or chill session. That is what works for me, but if you are looking for a clubbing nightlife, it's not going to happen in Bucks.

Damn, Oceana's gone? Shows how long it has been since I last went, haha

Should point out I'm not a prospective/current Bucks student but I have lived in Bucks nearly all my life so if I ever managed to pull out the smarts and desire to do a degree at UoB I'd stay at home and commute. But then again, I'm not much of a clubber either.
Reply 47

Overall, York is easily the best of all those universities on paper. However, what features you want from your university can only be determined if you visit them.

Officially firmed York, and put Aber as my insurance.
Purely because I couldn't bear the thought of not having a summer! I already have plans for summer 2013, not gonna let them go to waste :P
Reply 48
Original post by maitai
Officially firmed York, and put Aber as my insurance.
Purely because I couldn't bear the thought of not having a summer! I already have plans for summer 2013, not gonna let them go to waste :P

It's not as daft of a reason as you might think. If it's key to your motivation to work, then it will work better for you. It can be difficult watching your friends having a good time for three months whilst having to work.
Reply 49
It's not as daft of a reason as you might think. If it's key to your motivation to work, then it will work better for you. It can be difficult watching your friends having a good time for three months whilst having to work.

Indeed. And besides, as cliché as it sounds, a large part of enjoying university is the experience itself. I'd rather have to not sacrifice making friends and generally enjoying myself just to graduate a year early!
I actually live 2 mins away from the uni and i can say that life outside the uni will be bland.
And yes i have two houses. one in buckingham and one in the shire next door to sam wise...
Im firming warwick and having bucks as my insurance only because i live in Milton Keynes
Reply 52
just got my Buckingham acceptance letter yesterday for Psychology with business management. Was wondering if the main entry for the University is in September or January? As i got accepted for January but I'm really contemplating asking for it to be switched for January.

Thanks guys!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 53
??
Original post by ReggieS
??

Call them up, im sure they will help you
Reply 55
i have accepted the uni and i feel really depressed by all your reviews :frown: looks like i will be paying loads to go to leicester for raving :frown:
Reply 56
Original post by paul.walker9090
How's the university campus, girls, social scene, academics?

Campus: Gateway is the newer building and very high tech. The gym is amazing and I'm definitely a fan of Gateway!

Girls: We're pretty amazing:tongue:. Only kidding *ish*, I suspect the girls are the same throughout unis!

Social scene: The SU (student union) is very good, all things considered. Free entry and cheap drinks. An event every night of the week.
The *typical* student nights tend to be:
Monday - Pure
Tues - Yates/Acoustic or Comedy night at the SU.
Weds - SU (Frat)
Thurs - Antelope
Fri - SU (Flirt)

Academics: Quite good.
Reply 57
Would just like to clarify that the nightlife in Wycombe is not as stone cold dead as it's been made out to be. YES, there are other amazing uni's with amazing nightlifes and YES, it's not mind blowing fantastic.. but - it does the job.

The SU (student union) is really good with free entry, cheap drinks and good music. There's also Pure and Yates which tend to be a Monday and Tuesday night. There's also a fair selection of pubs in case you're in the mood for that. Don't forget you also have house parties, block parties, a cineworld and bowling... It's not awful, it does the job and there is SOME stuff to do!

ETA: For special occassions, we tend to go into Beaconsfield (Revs), London, Watford Oceana or MK every now and again for a change.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi every1. Am starting here in July studying law, wondering if anyone else is in the same posish? Also I've scoured the forums for info about the Uni nightlife and pubs an clubs and ratios of girls to boys and house parties and Su parties and societies and the intensity of the course and the social background of the majority of students and the number of Home students as compared to international students and freshers week and what it entails etc...blablabla...you get the idea? However my finding have Ben inconclusive and diverse and people tend to be apart on these things. Wondering if there is any1 on here or knows any1 preferably studying law who can get near to answering my delicious number of questions!!!??? Thanks!
Reply 59
Anyone going to buckingham uni in july 2012?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending