The Student Room Group

Taking naps after school?

So I'm in year 13 right now and almost every day, I feel shattered when I get home!

I try my best not to take a nap because when I do, they last for 2-3 hours and I lose sleep during the night.

Is it healthy to take a nap after school? If so, how long for?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Yes, for an hour and half is about right:smile: if you are tired then the best thing you can do for your body is to get plenty of sleep:wink:

I just had an hour nap, and already I am feeling refreshed.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
I ended up having to do this towards the end of Y13 too, as long as youre leaving time to revise, getting rest when you need it most is a must, so keep with it!
i nap on the way back...since it takes about 1 and a half hours in total!
its good for doing homework with a clear head, but i think ideally all sleep should be at night
Original post by rosiemaphone
Napping for half an hour to an hour is healthy; try setting an alarm?

http://stress.about.com/od/lowstresslifestyle/a/powernap.htm

snoozing-without-guilt--a-daytime-nap-can-be-good-for-health

I always set the alarm but when I wake up I feel so tired that I just drift back off :tongue:
Reply 6
yeah I have to take a nap as well before I start studying the thing is 1 hour is never enough I feel so tired too and I sleep about 2 3 hours. I think we just need it after so many hours of classes in school.
Reply 7
I do this aswell, end up staying all night doing.. nothing :cool:
Reply 8
Original post by Super Mario 64
I always set the alarm but when I wake up I feel so tired that I just drift back off :tongue:

If you need an alarm to wake up you're not sleeping enough.
if you're not sleeping enough you'll get tired during the day.

get more sleep!
Reply 9
Love a good old power nap!
Reply 10
Original post by Super Mario 64
So I'm in year 13 right now and almost every day, I feel shattered when I get home!

I try my best not to take a nap because when I do, they last for 2-3 hours and I lose sleep during the night.

Is it healthy to take a nap after school? If so, how long for?

Thanks in advance :smile:

I've been doing this for a while but its gotten much worse recently, I can come home after college and sleep for 4 hours and still feel shattered, even if I had like 8 hours sleep the night before :s Was starting to make me fall behind on stuff but its gone away a bit for the last couple of days so hopefully its just a stress thing and 2 weeks off over Easter will fix it!
Reply 11
Original post by 11flon
I've been doing this for a while but its gotten much worse recently, I can come home after college and sleep for 4 hours and still feel shattered, even if I had like 8 hours sleep the night before :s Was starting to make me fall behind on stuff but its gone away a bit for the last couple of days so hopefully its just a stress thing and 2 weeks off over Easter will fix it!

This is exactly like i am and i was diagnosed the other week with chronic fatigue syndrome which is apparently very common among 16-24's and fades away as you 'grow up'. Do you get headaches or nausea as well?
Reply 12
Original post by TheaG
This is exactly like i am and i was diagnosed the other week with chronic fatigue syndrome which is apparently very common among 16-24's and fades away as you 'grow up'. Do you get headaches or nausea as well?

Oh dear, that's worrying :/ Have they given you anything to help? Yeah I get a lot of headaches, not so much nausea though. But I did have Glandular Fever a couple of years ago which made me feel exhausted all the time, and the doctor said that if I got stressed in the future it could cause some of the symptoms to come back or something. Meh, if its still this bad after exams are over I'll go see the doctor about it.
I wouldn't. Occasionally I go to bed at ridiculous times like 2 in the morning on a week night, but I wont nap the next day. Like you said you lose sleep later on when you're MEANT to be sleeping. Just stay awake and then when you do eventually go to bed (hopefully early) you'll be so tired that you'll fall asleep immediately. But tbh, I look like a zombie at the moment because I just cant get off youtube, sigh...
Reply 14
It's the stress!! I pretty much slept through my GCSE's and A levels. For me it was definately more depression that just the stress. I had too much on from all directions. I feel sorry for my younger self it was tough. Basic mumsy advice, deny it all we like but its true...get to bed early as possible. Take a nice warm bath/shower then off you go. Also make sure you're eating well. I know I used to miss meals or eat rubbish a lot with friends. Avoid that and get your intake of fruit and veg... being in tip top shape physically will improve your energy levels as well.
Reply 15
Original post by 11flon
Oh dear, that's worrying :/ Have they given you anything to help? Yeah I get a lot of headaches, not so much nausea though. But I did have Glandular Fever a couple of years ago which made me feel exhausted all the time, and the doctor said that if I got stressed in the future it could cause some of the symptoms to come back or something. Meh, if its still this bad after exams are over I'll go see the doctor about it.

Its nothing to be worried about if you do have it, i've got a meeting with the DR next week to discuss it but basically if you feel too tired to do something (e.g. go shopping) then don't push yourself to do it as it will make you feel worse. I think it commonly develops after illness but i'm not sure. I'd go to the DRs and see what they said. It will just fade away if that is what you've got.
Reply 16
Original post by TheaG
Its nothing to be worried about if you do have it, i've got a meeting with the DR next week to discuss it but basically if you feel too tired to do something (e.g. go shopping) then don't push yourself to do it as it will make you feel worse. I think it commonly develops after illness but i'm not sure. I'd go to the DRs and see what they said. It will just fade away if that is what you've got.

Please don't cling to that belief. me/cfs can be very debilitating and is a chronic illness, I've had it throughout my teenage years and it's showing no signs of 'going away'. I've met many others with it to who are in their 40's with it, please do some research in to it and don't get too hyped up with hope that it'll be gone in a few months time, it's very unlikely. Coming from a cfs/me sufferer, it is something to worry about.

I think the OP is just burning out with exam stress atm, get some proper sleep and I'm sure you'll be fine once all the stress is over. :smile: (Good luck!)
Ahh I always use to do this after school; was only like an hour or so kip but I genuinely was shattered after school lol

:smile:
Reply 18
I don't nap, but those naps are normally the best! :awesome: I used to feel more energetic however I still found it difficult to sleep during the night but that might be a personal problem.
Reply 19
Archeologists argue that humans are supposed to rest at least three times in 24 hours, and that thats how they done it during stone age. I always seem to wake up with a headache and very groggy after a nap though so i avoid it.

Quick Reply

Latest