The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8280
Original post by Mess.
For less than £400 (including sales) where are the best quality suits available :beard: and how much are the MtM suit places that have been mentioned by a few other people? And are they fused or a loose chest piece?
Trying to think of other places except G&H which might fit me better when I leave there in a few weeks.

I would recommend Suit Supply. I think some of their higher lines are canvassed. For £400 anything mtm will be fused.
Reply 8281
What trousers would be best to wear with a dark brown aviator jacket?
Reply 8282
Original post by gwarg
I would recommend Suit Supply. I think some of their higher lines are canvassed. For £400 anything mtm will be fused.

Suit Supply aren't for me tbh. It follows a Dutch style from memory, which due to the very low armholes would be completely useless for me as I have very sloping shoulders :sad:

There are a few fully bespoke near me for £600-£800 that I was looking at. One comes highly recommended from a guy who has managed to get his old school and very rich Oxford friends to use from down south and the other seeems to be used by a lot of footballers in Manchester but the pictures of his clients in the suits don't look that good tbph.
Reply 8283
Thanks for the replys about the port coloured jeans

got another question, what do you guys think of these jeans ?, and would they go with anything, because there £15 in topman (instore) atm

http://www.topman.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&langId=-1&storeId=12555&catalogId=33056&parent_categoryId=207169&categoryId=207170&productId=4671314
Reply 8284
Original post by Mess.
Suit Supply aren't for me tbh. It follows a Dutch style from memory, which due to the very low armholes would be completely useless for me as I have very sloping shoulders :sad:

There are a few fully bespoke near me for £600-£800 that I was looking at. One comes highly recommended from a guy who has managed to get his old school and very rich Oxford friends to use from down south and the other seeems to be used by a lot of footballers in Manchester but the pictures of his clients in the suits don't look that good tbph.

The Stephen Harotounian suits start at £550 but they would be MTM, not bespoke.
Reply 8285
Original post by Clip
The Stephen Harotounian suits start at £550 but they would be MTM, not bespoke.

I know his shirts are very highly recommended but what about their suits? The only issue I would have with getting a bespoke or MtM in London is that I would have to travel there, adding a minimum of ~£50 on to every trip, so it would have to be almost guaranteed quality in terms of cloth, construction and fit.
Reply 8286
Original post by Mess.
I know his shirts are very highly recommended but what about their suits? The only issue I would have with getting a bespoke or MtM in London is that I would have to travel there, adding a minimum of ~£50 on to every trip, so it would have to be almost guaranteed quality in terms of cloth, construction and fit.

Ah. Didn't think of that.

But let's be honest, if you come to London, you'd probably be doing other stuff as well.

Semi-final?
Reply 8287
Original post by Clip
Ah. Didn't think of that.

But let's be honest, if you come to London, you'd probably be doing other stuff as well.

Semi-final?

I have my first final year exam 4 days later :sigh: and I won't be starting work until May so the choice of an MtM/bespoke would be held off until then. Tbh, unless I am visiting friends I have never really understood the appeal of London :dontknow:

I kind of want to use the tailors up here but it is such a risk commissioning something without recommendations :eek4: Despite being quite friendly with one I wouldn't be able to use him as the 'house cut' he seems to go for is just not cut in a way that would flatter me.

I'm not sure why... but it reminds me of a bib.
Reply 8290
Anyone knows where I can order cheap polo shirts online? Just plain ones that I can wear everyday? Wanted to order a few of them for the summer.

Chhers!
Reply 8291
Original post by kuks
Anyone knows where I can order cheap polo shirts online? Just plain ones that I can wear everyday? Wanted to order a few of them for the summer.

Chhers!

I don't know about online but I picked up a load of plain polo shirts from Matalan to play squash in. They were only £5 each, and (say it quietly) they are actually pretty decent quality, with different colour insets (which I quite like).
Reply 8292
Original post by py0alb
I don't know about online but I picked up a load of plain polo shirts from Matalan to play squash in. They were only £5 each, and (say it quietly) they are actually pretty decent quality, with different colour insets (which I quite like).

Cheers. Only asked for online because I'm in Bombay right now so could order them before I leave and they'll be there when I get back :h:
Reply 8293
What are good coats/jackets for spring? I'm confident when it comes to choosing heavyweight winter coats and stuff, but when it comes to spring I don't have a clue :confused:
Reply 8294

I got this last week, it's quite nice but the fit will vary quite a bit from person to person. What sort of proportions are you?
Original post by RobML
What are good coats/jackets for spring? I'm confident when it comes to choosing heavyweight winter coats and stuff, but when it comes to spring I don't have a clue :confused:

Mac/Trench coat
Safari Jacket
Blousson/Bomber Jacket
Linen/Cotton Blazers

Basically, very similar styles to winter, but lighter material. The trench coat pretty much replaces the peacoat and there's lightweight summer versions of most other outerwear. Colour is the biggest change, black gives way to shades of cream and navy tends to be replaced with lighter/bolder shades of blue.
Original post by satchef1
Colour is the biggest change, black gives way to shades of cream and navy tends to be replaced with lighter/bolder shades of blue.

Didn't know people actually paid attention to stuff like this?

I doubt the average person could tell you what shades/colours are 'in' for the season, so it seems like a bit of a wasted effort to me. Each to their own though.
Reply 8297
Original post by Converse Rocker

I doubt the average person could tell you what shades/colours are 'in' for the season, so it seems like a bit of a wasted effort to me. Each to their own though.

Yeah but in general you want lighter and brighter for the summer I think.
Original post by Converse Rocker

It's no effort really. Dark colours are good in winter, they're warm. Dark shades absorb light and with it, heat. Light colours are good in summer. Light shades reflect light, heat. It's nothing to do with trend; it's the same thing every year simply due to physics, lighter clothing is more comfortable to wear in summer. I put it to you that most people do know this, even if it's only subconsciously? The number of people wearing dark colours like black and navy is far larger in the depths of winter than it is in the middle of summer. I don't think many people give it much thought, but they do follow the rule.

The specific colour suggestions were just that, suggestions. I was trying to help RobML with his choice. Cream(tan/stone etc.) is a staple colour for this time of year for reasons mentioned above. Brighter shades of blue seem to be a bit of a trend this year from what I've seen in the shops. Obviously there's a lot more choice than that, lots of grey, for example.
Original post by Fields
Yeah but in general you want lighter and brighter for the summer I think.

Original post by satchef1
snip

Oh I agree that lighter shades are better in Summer. I was referring to people who read 'this colour is in' or 'this pattern is big this summer' in fashion magazines and then buy stuff specifically like that. :smile:

Latest