The Student Room Group

Finding EEE Boring, thinking of switching but to what?

Well I'm coming to the end of my first year of EEE, and it's been dire.
I enjoy the maths modules, and most parts of the physics modules and also found the programming modules okay.
However the more 'pure electronics' modules (around half the course) has been awful, I really struggle with it and find it very uninspiring.

I was thinking of swapping courses next year, either to physics, computer science or another engineering discipline, any advice?
Reply 1
If you enjoy Mathematics why aren't you considering a maths degree? I think the MEng Engineering Maths course at Bristol would suit you well.
Reply 2
I've done some EEE and I didn't like it because it was mostly memorizing circuits - not really being creative. Well maybe later once you've memorized all those circuits. The way I see it you have several options:

- Computer engineering
- Software engineering
- Computer science

There are various other courses (information engineering) but it depends what your university has to offer. I'd recommend CS alghtough I didn't do CS. It doesn't have as much maths though and the maths it has is very different.
Swap for Mech Eng?
Original post by marshymarsh
Swap for Mech Eng?

+1 to swapping to Mech. Eng :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by s5s
I've done some EEE and I didn't like it because it was mostly memorizing circuits - not really being creative. Well maybe later once you've memorized all those circuits. The way I see it you have several options:

- Computer engineering
- Software engineering
- Computer science

There are various other courses (information engineering) but it depends what your university has to offer. I'd recommend CS alghtough I didn't do CS. It doesn't have as much maths though and the maths it has is very different.

This is your best option. I know people who started EEE and then realized they like everything in the course that's not directly related to Electrical or Electronics (myself included to a certain extent). I did electronics and computer engineering and the only thing I liked was the computing bits. I wish I had done Software/Computer engineering.

So if you have the option switch the i would suggest computing/software side, you will still have the option to do some electronics like microprocessors, VHDL etc. You will get plenty of maths from AI, image processing like modules and there will also be programming, so pick and choose as you please.
EEE is where the money is though.

Quick Reply

Latest