The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Why are people even mentioning rock vs brock? There is virtually no logical reason for that match to happen, Brocks not even back yet, hes only stated that he would not be against returning and Rock is still just a nostalgia act to help sell this years wrestlemania.

Anyway, Even though this is not what I want to see, I have a feeling the Rock vs Cena fued will have 3 matches. I just have a feeling they will do a 2nd match at Summerslam and then the 3rd Next Wrestlemania. So Cena wins at Mania, Rock at SS and then final grudge match next WM.

If Rock Vs Cena does not happen, then I wouldnt mind seeing Cena vs Taker next mania, I dont even like Cena but i just think there is no-one that could jeporadise the streak, only other guy would be Rock but I just dont ever see Rock vs Taker lol.

There have been rumours and banter between Punk n Austin on twitter for a possible match at next years mania. Austin stated in a interview that there is a very short list of people he would come back to wwe for, but Punk is one of them.

Eitherway, the build up hasn't exactly been great but I am lookin forward to mania. The main reason is that most the matches are not predictable. Most manias I can predict matches and go into the ppv expecting certain matches to deliver/not deliver and outcomes and they generally are what most people expect them to be. This mania tho probably has one of the best cards since WM19.

This ppv could easily be very good, but because of how strong it is compared to the cards in the last few years, if the matches aren't given enough time then they could flatline. I do hope they stick to only 8 matches in the 4 hours, Im guessin the Rock vs Cena match will be somewhere in the region of 50+ mins including intros/entrances/build up/staredown etc.

Very much lookin forward to most of the ppv, and i think its hard to predict but this is how i'd go for predictions. This is also how I think they will do the ppv and probably the best order to do the show from match to match.

Rhodes vs Show - Show will win, Rhodes will keep the title.
Orton vs Kane - Orton
Sheamus vs Daniel Bryan - Daniel Bryan
Team Jonny vs Team Teddy - Team Jonny
Punk vs Y2J - Y2J
Taker vs HHH - Taker
Divas Tag - Dont really care lol
Rock vs Cena - Cena

Like i said its tough to call match to match outcomes, most of them could go eitherway. I chose Y2J to win because next ppv is in Chicago, so punk could win the title back then. I chose Daniel Bryan because i think he will do something cowardly to retain, and there is no point in giving Sheamus the title now, because DBD will look so weak.
Reply 5801
Original post by InsaneLoony

Very much lookin forward to most of the ppv, and i think its hard to predict but this is how i'd go for predictions. This is also how I think they will do the ppv and probably the best order to do the show from match to match.

Rhodes vs Show - Show will win, Rhodes will keep the title.
Orton vs Kane - Orton
Sheamus vs Daniel Bryan - Daniel Bryan
Team Jonny vs Team Teddy - Team Jonny
Punk vs Y2J - Y2J
Taker vs HHH - Taker
Divas Tag - Dont really care lol
Rock vs Cena - Cena

I agree that this Wrestlemania is a hard one to predict, which makes it so good.
My predictions are:
Team Jonny vs Team Teddy- Team Teddy
Rhodes vs Big Show- Rhodes win
Divas Tag-Don't care either!
Orton vs Kane-Orton
Sheamus-Daniel Bryan- Sheamus wins, think AJ may have something to do with Bryan losing the title.
Punk-Y2J- Punk win
Taker-HHH - Taker win
Rock vs Cena- Really hard to predict but I think Rock might win and they will end on a handshake.
Original post by IanDangerously
I don't think WWE really care about Sting at this point, he hasn't been marketable now for around a decade. If he still had any star power left Impact Wrestling would draw a decent rating but nobody tunes in anymore.

We've already seen Rock/Undertaker and it wasn't a particularly good match when both guys were in their prime.

Sting is still a big draw and a massive fan favourite and I would say he is one of the few reasons (the others being Hogan and the odd former WWE star/legend) why people (like myself) even contemplete tuning into TNA. True he has been a merchandise shifter for a good ten years well since WCW went under but let's be honest TNA aren't quite the marketing force WCW were in their prime and if he did come to WWE I'm sure they'll market him right. Sting is a legend amongst wrestling fans and no doubt if he did eventually sign for the WWE then there'll be massive interest.

As for WWE not caring about Sting well it was this time last year they almost tied him to a contract before he u-turned at the 11th hour. Rumour has it the 2/2/11 gimmick from last year was originally meant to be a Sting promo as it began when WWE thought they hd sealed a deal with Sting. TNA then mocked it with their own little spoof.

The fact is WWE/wrestling viewing figures have been dwindling in recent years. 2011 Survivor Series was by all accounts a huge flop for the WWE in terms of viewing figures and people haven't been too impressed with the buildup to this WM although obviously there are some big matches there. We hope they live up to the billing. There's a lot riding on this Sunday for WWE as they need something to propel back into the spotlight again and a good showing could pave the way for Vince and co to try and convince Sting one more time and sign him on. They want to build up to WM 29 in the same way they've done for WM 28 and can't think of a better way than by bringing in Sting and having him start a long feud with the Undertaker and in the process he might win a Royal Rumble, a title or two and beat a few big names along the way.....but that streak will never die.

WWE needs Sting more than Sting needs the WWE and everyone knows it.......except Sting.
Reply 5803
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
Sting is still a big draw and a massive fan favourite

Will the fans of today even know who Sting is, let alone consider him any more than a WWE midcarder?
Brock Lesnar anyone?

Predictions:
Cena
Taker
Punk
Bryan
Team Ace
Orton
Rhodes
Maria/K2
Original post by cab12
I agree that this Wrestlemania is a hard one to predict, which makes it so good.
My predictions are:
Team Jonny vs Team Teddy- Team Teddy
Rhodes vs Big Show- Rhodes win
Divas Tag-Don't care either!
Orton vs Kane-Orton
Sheamus-Daniel Bryan- Sheamus wins, think AJ may have something to do with Bryan losing the title.
Punk-Y2J- Punk win
Taker-HHH - Taker win
Rock vs Cena- Really hard to predict but I think Rock might win and they will end on a handshake.

Mine are siimilar to yours:

Team Jonny v Team Teddy - Teddy win (with the two potential GMs squaring off at the end and it turning ou funny).

Rhodes v Big Show - Big how is way overdue a WM win and given the hype surrounding the embarassing clips I think Rhodes needs to be taught a lesson or two!

Divas tag team - Beth and Eve - Beth won't be losing at WM that's for sure.

Orton v Kane - no brainer has to be Orton.

Sheamus v Daniel Bryan - Sheamus and yes I agree AJ may well have a say in this one I think she's been pushed far enough now.

CM Punk v Jericho - Punk, has to be, nobody wants to see a sleaze who slags off someone's dad and sis win (yes I know it's all storylines).

Undertaker v Triple H - Undertaker although I see Michaels laying both of them out cold. First Taker then Triple H is happy thinking HBK is helping him then HBK turns on Triple H and hands Taker the win and I think this will trigger a massive feud between Triple H and HBK culminating with HBK coming out of retirement.

The Rock v John Cena - Tricky this one.......Bearing in mind this is The Rock, he hasn't wrestled in a singles match for 8 years or so and this is his massive, hyped return and at Wrestlemania and in his hometown of Miami.....I can't see anything but a hard fought Rocky win here and I mean hard fought and yes it will end with a handshake and maybe an embrace.

The reason I say Rock is because as I've mentioned before and it's common knowledge that The Rock has signed on to wrestle at WM 29 so I can't see him coming back only to lose and go on hiatus again. Also I couldn't see him signing on just to come back and lose at WM although bearing all this in mind if Cena does lose then it will have been quite some time ago now since Cena won at a WM.

A Cena win would totally understandable, he will be there in the long-term and he has very much been an underdog but as I said I can't see Rock agreeing to a comeback without it culminating in a WM win.

I mean when Hogan came back sure he dropped a match to the Rock at WM but then he eventually got the comeback he always wanted and beat a few big names (HHH and HBK to name a few) and ended up winning the WWE Undisputed Championship so he at least got to reach the top one more time.

I don't see there being many more big events for the Rock in the ring. The feeling I've got from his promos is that this is very much got a "guest stint" feel to it and his full-time job is now being a successful Hollywood actor and fair play to him he's doing well at it well better than any wrestler ever did Hogan included.

Rock's best WWE days are behind him and whatever matches we do see are simply a bonus but I do expect the match to be a good one I sure hope it is after all the hype.....it's been 8 years ffs since we last saw him wrestle in a singles match.
Original post by nonotrly
Will the fans of today even know who Sting is, let alone consider him any more than a WWE midcarder?

For sure they will and as I said WWE are good with their promos. You still have fans chanting for Randy Savage and Yokozuna's little promo got a great reception so people out there still know him. And don't forget a lot of WWE fans are "wrestlign fans" hence some will tune into TNA too and will be aware of the talent on "the other side".

He'd never sign to WWE to be a midcarder and neither would WWE be silly enough to suggest putting him on a midcard. IF he were to come then he's being taken straight to the top.

But yeah I do think fans would react to him and react positively. Other than Sting the only other talent from the TNA roster worth pinching is AJ Styles. I'd say the knockouts but I don't think WWE are keen to have too many women around I think there's a quota on that.

But if they were to bring Sting they have to sort out his gimmick cos his Insane Icon is just way to strange even for my liking as a lifelong Sting fan.

On a sidenote I'm surprised Mick Foley hasn't had some sort of involvement with this year's WM. I was hoping he might end up being Teddy's 6th man and that neither Teddy nor Jonny were gonna reveal their 6th man until the night of the match but it seems they decided not to go with Foley.

Or perhaps Vince or someone "high up" i.e. Steph, could make an appearance and announce that the WWE has decided to keep both men on as udnerstudies to the new supereme GM of Raw and Smackdown....Mick Foley?

On another note interesting how TNA finally reached an agreement to allow Flair to attend WWE HoF but as I've gathered he won't be in the little spotlight thing they do for HoF inductees on WM night. TNA weren't keen for a currently contracted employee of theirs to appear on a WWE DVD (as WM 28 will be released on DVD but obviously Hall of Fame won't be).

Also oddly, HoF won't be live this year and will instead be broadcast the day after WM.
It seems everyone is making predictions, so I'll join in:

Team Johnny vs. Team Teddy - Team Johnny

Rhodes vs. Big Show - Rhodes retains, though he may not win.

Divas Tag - Maria & Kelly. The "celeb" nearly always wins at WM. Beth won't be pinned.

Orton vs. Kane - Orton

Sheamus vs. Daniel Bryan - Sheamus

Punk vs. Y2J - Punk

Taker vs. HHH - Taker. No drama from Michaels. There will be a moment when he has the chance to screw Taker in some way but he won't. The result has to, and will, be clean.

Rock vs. Cena - Cena
(edited 12 years ago)
Batista anyone?!
On a sidenote I'm surprised Mick Foley hasn't had some sort of involvement with this year's WM. I was hoping he might end up being Teddy's 6th man and that neither Teddy nor Jonny were gonna reveal their 6th man until the night of the match but it seems they decided not to go with Foley.

Or perhaps Vince or someone "high up" i.e. Steph, could make an appearance and announce that the WWE has decided to keep both men on as udnerstudies to the new supereme GM of Raw and Smackdown....Mick Foley?

I wouldn't be surprised if Foley is at WM at some point. Backstage maybe doing a bit with The Rock. The Rock 'n' Sock Connection, I imagine, would get a massive pop.
Sting is still a big draw and a massive fan favourite and I would say he is one of the few reasons (the others being Hogan and the odd former WWE star/legend) why people (like myself) even contemplete tuning into TNA. True he has been a merchandise shifter for a good ten years well since WCW went under but let's be honest TNA aren't quite the marketing force WCW were in their prime and if he did come to WWE I'm sure they'll market him right. Sting is a legend amongst wrestling fans and no doubt if he did eventually sign for the WWE then there'll be massive interest.

As for WWE not caring about Sting well it was this time last year they almost tied him to a contract before he u-turned at the 11th hour. Rumour has it the 2/2/11 gimmick from last year was originally meant to be a Sting promo as it began when WWE thought they hd sealed a deal with Sting. TNA then mocked it with their own little spoof.

The fact is WWE/wrestling viewing figures have been dwindling in recent years. 2011 Survivor Series was by all accounts a huge flop for the WWE in terms of viewing figures and people haven't been too impressed with the buildup to this WM although obviously there are some big matches there. We hope they live up to the billing. There's a lot riding on this Sunday for WWE as they need something to propel back into the spotlight again and a good showing could pave the way for Vince and co to try and convince Sting one more time and sign him on. They want to build up to WM 29 in the same way they've done for WM 28 and can't think of a better way than by bringing in Sting and having him start a long feud with the Undertaker and in the process he might win a Royal Rumble, a title or two and beat a few big names along the way.....but that streak will never die.

WWE needs Sting more than Sting needs the WWE and everyone knows it.......except Sting.

Sting hasn't been a big draw for years now. The last year he did anything in terms of pulling a credible buyrate was 1998, even during the final days of WCW he was featured prominently and was a top star (except a few periods where he wasnt active) but people just didn't care. TNA have never been able to draw more than about 1/3 of WWE's audience and when the two shows went head to head they got absolutely crushed.

If any more people than that core 1 million viewers still cared about Sting, they would tune into Impact to watch him. And they dont.

Sting would be a nice addition to WWE for some interesting storylines but it's not really going to have any affect on the numbers business-wise, certainly nowhere near the same as a Rock, Lesnar or even Batista return.
Predictions time, I am not looking forward to Taker/HHH lying around for 30 minutes but Jericho/Punk, Sheamus/Bryan and maybe Rock/Cena can steal the show. Predictions:
Team Johnny should and will win. I seriously can't believe the heat magnets that team's got, Vickie Guerrero, John Laurinaitis and Otunga should get the crowd involved.
Rhodes/Show: I hope Rhodes wins because the IC title just looks cooler with him but can see Show finally getting his reward for the way he lost the world title.
Divas tag: who cares? Extended bathroom break.
Orton vs Kane: Orton should and will win, this will end up as an average PPV match
Sheamus vs Bryan: I want Bryan to win because keeping the title on him a little longer will only help him get even more over, he's starting to get some awesome crowd reactions. Sheamus will probably win though.
Punk/Jericho: Give them 30 minutes and this could be MOTY. Not bothered about who wins this one tbh, Jericho winning would extend the feud and make Summerslam fun, and maybe we might even see Jericho/Cena again?
Taker vs HHH: I think Taker should and will win but there will be some drama where HHH will feel screwed by Michaels. Ideally Taker could win and then finally retire next year after putting over someone like Barrett/Ziggler/Punk/Bryan.
Rock vs Cena: Rock will win and set up next year(and maybe a HOF induction?), though I feel they need to freshen up the promos if they are doing this again; its been pretty boring at times. In an ideal world Cena would win, get the torch and then go for the title. If it is "once in a lifetime" it should be so.
WrestleMania XXVIII thoughts and predictions:

Match 1: Randy Orton vs Kane
I really kinda feel bad that I don't care more about this match because both guys are big stars but this just holds no interest for me. I think it'll be solid enough but unspectacular, obviously Orton wins. I reckon this should go on first, give the fans something to get into right at the start of the night and Orton hitting the RKO will get a huge pop

Match 2: Cody Rhodes vs Big Show - Intercontinental Title
This one is kinda interesting. I love Cody as a character and the buildup from what I've seen has been different and kinda unique. Unfortunately it seems all set up for Big Show to knock out Cody and win the title, all this talk of Big Show failing at WrestleMania is just screaming that this year he'll win there.That belt is a huge part of Cody's character though and I kinda worry for him if he loses it. Cody should win, but I have a horrible feeling Show will.

Match 3: Sheamus vs Daniel Bryan - Heavyweight Title
Another match with what looks like a fairly obvious result. Sheamus will almost certainly win the title, all along it's felt as if D-Bry has just been holding the belt until WrestleMania and SmackDown's ratings have been terrible with him on top. That said, I could see him getting disqualified and then Sheamus going on to beat him in some kind of no holds barred gimmick at Backlash.

Match 4: Undertaker vs Triple H - Hell In A Cell
This is the most obvious match on the show. Undertaker should, and will, win. The streak will never end, it's too special and it would be a huge mistake to ever interfere with that. I think this will be Taker's last match and I think he'll pull out all the stops to have one last, fantastic WrestleMania moment. Shawn Michaels really isn't needed here but whatever, I figure H is about to end the streak and Michaels superkicks him so that he can't do the one thing Shawn couldn't do.

Match 5: Face chicks vs Heel chicks
You can't even begin to imagine the enormity of the toss I couldn't give about this match. I reckon it'll be in this spot right after the Cell match to give the crowd a break. It's Mania and there's a celebrity involved so Maria and Kelly have to win for the TMZ photos.

Match 6: Chris Jericho vs CM Punk - World Wrestling Entertainment Title
This has the potential to be one of the best matches in WrestleMania history I think, the promos setting it up have been so strong and there's a real intensity about it that we don't get much anymore. Punk and Jericho are both fantastic and are more than capable of putting on a show-stealing bout. It'll be a tough act to follow Taker and Hunter but if anyone can do it they can. Punk has never had a great WrestleMania match or a big win (MITB doesn't really count since its essentially a clusterfunk of midcarders). Punk needs the win, and he'll get it.

Match 7: Team Teddy vs Team Johnny
I fully expect this to sandwich the title match and the main event as the hokey, comedy segment that lets the crowd relax a bit between the two dramatic matches. Team Johnny will win this one, and nobody will care.

Match 8: The Rock vs John Cena - Once In A Lifetime
This is it, the match everyone has looked forward to for a year now. Two of the biggest stars WWE ever created finally squaring off in the biggest match of the wrestling year. As exciting as this is, WWE have backed themselves into a corner majorly. Cena has to win this one, he's the one that'll be around after Mania, he's the one that'll still be relied on to drive the company and they can't afford to take any shine off that by having him lose to, effectively, a movie star. However, if Rock loses in his hometown you end the biggest show of the year with 70,000 odd disgruntled and angry customers making their feelings known. I figure Cena wins and WWE undergo the embarrasment of having the crowd crap all over the last 3 minutes of a WrestleMania ... which would be quite amusing. UNLESS they're going to build to another Rock/Cena match. In which case Rock goes over here and Cena goes on a quest for a rematch and wins there instead.

Overall I'm excited about this WrestleMania, a lot of the matches are very predictable but have the potential to be excellent anyway. We've been drastically lacking in Mania quality Manias these past few years, but I reckon this one can actually live up to the hype.
Original post by IanDangerously

Match 3: Sheamus vs Daniel Bryan - Heavyweight Title
Another match with what looks like a fairly obvious result. Sheamus will almost certainly win the title, all along it's felt as if D-Bry has just been holding the belt until WrestleMania and SmackDown's ratings have been terrible with him on top. That said, I could see him getting disqualified and then Sheamus going on to beat him in some kind of no holds barred gimmick at Backlash.

Funny because this is the match I'm most looking forward to in terms of who gets win, but your predictions seem pretty spot on.
(edited 12 years ago)
What's easiest way to order the show?

I'm trying to via the remote, but after clicking and having the reminder icon on the time it starts, no confirmation if the order has been placed?

This is the only thing that will keep me going through 6hrs of work tomorrow, and two days off after that!

Pretty much agree with IanD's predictions. Only thing I'd change would be that I'd see Cody Rhodes retaining, don't see the logic of Show being the IC champion, no need for it. And could ruin Cody's momentum abit.

I want Bryan to retain - interesting fact that Sheamus could be the first guy since 2007 to win the RR and win at Mania. Bryan seems hated and best to prolong it and because Sheamus I feel isn't really locked in as a really credible, strong 'face yet.

Taker's nailed on to win. Rumours are swirling that he'll have another match with Lesnar next year. Also rumours that Batista is in Miami and picked up by WWE management.

I'm hoping for a Rock win. The guy deserves it in his hometown and Cena won't be finished if he loses. Hope it's a clean match with no interruptions. Heard Miz may interfere..
(edited 12 years ago)
My predictions & reasons:

Johnny V Teddy: Johnny wins and takes over Smackdown. It will be a bid to revamp brand from there on.

Kane V Orton: This match has had the worst build up I've seen for Wrestlemania. I'm going for an Orton win.

Divas match: Kelly & Maria: This fight is stupid and I couldn't care less for it.

Rhodes v Big Show:Rhodes gets embarrassed by Big Show, with the latter finally getting his Mania moment. Rhodes has been given quite a push thus far anyway, a loss will do him no harm.

Seamus V Bryan: Seamus, and it will be a ratings decision by the writers. Seamus is now a massive massive hero for the fans, it sounds like he's getting an Orton-esque pop from the crowd when his music plays. Bryan has held the title long enough to be respected ala Miz.

Jericho V Punk: Jericho. Punk will rematch at the next PPV and possibly win, but Jericho wins tomorrow, thats a cert. He's not back to hatch eggs - these guys are set for a massive rivalry and it wont end tomorrow. There will be more matches, I don't see many guys getting 2 shots in a row so Punk will have to lose and invoke his rematch clause.

Undertaker V HHH: Undertaker wins with no bias from HBK. This will be called right down the middle, but we'l have moments where HHH or Undertaker feel they have been wronged etc. The streak continues at 20-0.

Rock v Cena: Cena wins. Rock was never here to stay and he's merely helping WWE out by giving Cena a stepping stone to a legendary status, he'l lose and shake hands and fly off to promote GI Joe.
(edited 12 years ago)
MY predicitions

Team Johnny Wins
Borton Wins
Big Show wins
Sheamus Wins
Y2J Wins - Christian may comeback to beat down Punk - which I look forward to very much
Taker Wins
Cena Wins - Brock Retruns in this match.
Reply 5817
I'm hoping the Taker and Rock matches are both on last (surely they are) because, with the exception of one or two, I really don't want to wade through all that **** of a card just to get to the two WrestleMania-moment matches.
Just been on Paddy Power's website and they are taking bets on the matches at WM. Never known that before.
Original post by TheMagicRat
Just been on Paddy Power's website and they are taking bets on the matches at WM. Never known that before.

Undertakers odds are pretty decent to say it's guaranteed.