The Student Room Group

Law Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by michiiru
JPA stopped giving out scholarships for post-SPM from this year onwards. That's why there wasn't a hype about it compared to the previous years.

I am going to submit my Khazanah app today and honestly I don't feel like I really stand a chance on getting a scholarship from Khazanah. That prickling feeling I never really had while applying for others. :\ And I haven't started writing the personal statement for Securities Commission yet either. >< Maybank is also being an a** cuz their overseas scholarship is only for post-SPM.

Perhaps you'll become the legal advisors/consultants of the MNCs?

One more thing tho, about replying to offers.
I sent my app on 6th Jan, and have heard back from Notts, UCL, Kings and Exeter, but not Warwick.
Today is 31st March, and also a Saturday, and I assume that since Saturdays aren't working days, I will not be getting Warwick's answer by the 31st March mark?

If that is the case, would that mean that since my last decision is going to come after the 31st March, my deadline for replying to my offers isn't 9th May?

Last decision by Your reply date is

31 March 2012 9 May 2012

10 May 2012 7 June 2012

8 June 2012 28 June 2012

19 July 2012 26 July 2012

Here it is...so if you receive it on Monday you have to reply by June 7th
Reply 3521
Original post by silence18
Here it is...so if you receive it on Monday you have to reply by June 7th

Yep. I checked it there before posting, so it was just for clarification. Thanks. And uh, I shouldn't be expecting a decision on a Saturday right?
Yep. I checked it there before posting, so it was just for clarification. Thanks. And uh, I shouldn't be expecting a decision on a Saturday right?

Well, I also thought they don't but a friend of mine received an offer from Manchester on a Sunday evening. King's also replied on a Saturday morning as far as I can remember.:smile:
Reply 3523
Well, I also thought they don't but a friend of mine received an offer from Manchester on a Sunday evening. King's also replied on a Saturday morning as far as I can remember.:smile:

Are you saying that based on UK time or your country's? Where are you from? Perhaps it was a weekday in UK but still a weekend at your place? Or something along the lines..
Are you saying that based on UK time or your country's? Where are you from? Perhaps it was a weekday in UK but still a weekend at your place? Or something along the lines..

Oh no, i'm just two hours ahead of uk time.:smile:
she received it at 8:30 pm and that still means 6:30 pm uk time.
Reply 3525
Oh no, i'm just two hours ahead of uk time.:smile:
she received it at 8:30 pm and that still means 6:30 pm uk time.

I see.. Fingers' crossed then! I hope that it'll come after the 31st. So that I have more time before replying the offers. Thanks again! :smile:
I see.. Fingers' crossed then! I hope that it'll come after the 31st. So that I have more time before replying the offers. Thanks again! :smile:

My pleasure!:smile:
JPA stopped giving out scholarships for post-SPM from this year onwards. That's why there wasn't a hype about it compared to the previous years.

I am going to submit my Khazanah app today and honestly I don't feel like I really stand a chance on getting a scholarship from Khazanah. That prickling feeling I never really had while applying for others. :\ And I haven't started writing the personal statement for Securities Commission yet either. >< Maybank is also being an a** cuz their overseas scholarship is only for post-SPM.

Perhaps you'll become the legal advisors/consultants of the MNCs?

Hmm. Looks like Maybank changed their scholarship this year. Few months ago I remember reading something about having an unconditional offer to be eligible for it. Hmm..

I'm sure you'll be fine :smile: Be confident and who knows, maybe you'll manage to dazzle your interviewers for that scholarship LOL All the best!
Reply 3528
Original post by Akiraryuu

JPA does offer scholarships for Law if you're a post-SPM student. I have no idea whether they will offer to post A-levels students or not. Though according to the news, the government is planning to reduce the number of overseas scholarships so that more of the "better" students attend the local universities instead.

Anyways, Axiata is not the only corp that offers scholarships. There are plenty of corp that does (talk to your college's admission counselors). I always find getting scholarships from MNCs a little dodgy. They are not law firms and the fact you'll have to come back and work for them post-uni means you won't be practicing in the legal field?

Mr. N suggested a new policy where they offer overseas scholarships to those who had gained admissions to top universities and give out bursaries instead to post SPM students to do their pre-university course. Not sure whether it would be implemented or not. And yes, I've heard that the government is planning to reduce the number of overseas scholarships so that "better" students attend local universities but personally I think that he wants to avoid the main issue and came out with an excuse.

It's true that Axiata isnt the only corp that offers scholarships but it was one of the few that offered law scholarships. Most corp offers scholarships for Economics or Business Management. Finding one that offers law scholarships is rare. The others being SC and BNM. I have always thought and still do think that working for them post-uni provides a good job security. As the bond ranges from 6 to 9 years, you'll have sufficient experience to find a better job after the bond is over. I believe that you'll still be able to practise in a legal field, mainly on corporate law if you take up the scholarship.
Original post by SelPYH
Mr. N suggested a new policy where they offer overseas scholarships to those who had gained admissions to top universities and give out bursaries instead to post SPM students to do their pre-university course. Not sure whether it would be implemented or not. And yes, I've heard that the government is planning to reduce the number of overseas scholarships so that "better" students attend local universities but personally I think that he wants to avoid the main issue and came out with an excuse.

It's true that Axiata isnt the only corp that offers scholarships but it was one of the few that offered law scholarships. Most corp offers scholarships for Economics or Business Management. Finding one that offers law scholarships is rare. The others being SC and BNM. I have always thought and still do think that working for them post-uni provides a good job security. As the bond ranges from 6 to 9 years, you'll have sufficient experience to find a better job after the bond is over. I believe that you'll still be able to practise in a legal field, mainly on corporate law if you take up the scholarship.

Don't think the new policy has been implemented yet. I find JPA a little off putting (and many of my classmates agreed with me though it did not stop them from applying) because it's biased towards you know what I mean.

6-9 years of bonding is a very long time. For those who started as a pupil in Malaysian Law firms, most would be in senior positions or even in partnerships already. But yes, I do agree that the job security is a huge advantage especially in this current economy.

I am a little miffed that the international Law firms are all in Singapore though. :/
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3530
Original post by Akiraryuu
Don't think the new policy has been implemented yet. I find JPA a little off putting (and many of my classmates agreed with me though it did not stop them from applying) because it's bias towards you know what I mean.

6-9 years of bonding is a very long time. For those who started as a pupil in Malaysian Law firms, most would be in senior positions or even in partnerships already. But yes, I do agree that the job security is a huge advantage especially in this current economy.

I am a little miffed that the international Law firms are all in Singapore though. :/

I do hope JPA announces something about it soon! I suppose most of us would still apply even though it's biased, cuz it's the easiest and most generous to get.

And yeah, most companies only offer scholarships for Business and Economics, which sometimes made me kinda think twice about studying Law :\

Add on: UEM also only gives Business & Economics, and only to post-SPM! DAMMIT!
I do hope JPA announces something about it soon! I suppose most of us would still apply even though it's biased, cuz it's the easiest and most generous to get.

And yeah, most companies only offer scholarships for Business and Economics, which sometimes made me kinda think twice about studying Law :\

Add on: UEM also only gives Business & Economics, and only to post-SPM! DAMMIT!

True that. And the fact that they interview you in groups makes it less daunting. I really do think the post-SPM system is seriously flawed. What use is a scholarship if you cannot secure a university offer? Pre-universities are not that expensive (if it is, there's always STPM imo) and instead of wasting money funding students for their pre-uni, they should increase the amount of undergrad scholarships.

Plus you don't get to choose which country you want to study. I still think for Law, the best place to study is in the UK :tongue:
Hey guys!!

Help me choose between Leicester LLB & Cardiff LLB Law with Poli.
Would be sosososo grateful if you help.
I'm an international student by the way~
Original post by jointmeat
Hey guys!!

Help me choose between Leicester LLB & Cardiff LLB Law with Poli.
Would be sosososo grateful if you help.
I'm an international student by the way~

Leicester is a better uni in general.
It depends which course you'd prefer.
Original post by JessNurden
Leicester is a better uni in general.
It depends which course you'd prefer.

Thank you so much!

Compared to just law courses, is Leicester better?
Would anyone be able to tell me roughly how many unis require a 4th AS for the LLB? Is it the majority? Kinda worried now that i'm only doing 3, but I am predicted AAB for them. Obviously I don't really need to worry about it for a few months, but it would be nice to be prepared!
Anyone else still waiting to hear back from LSE? On their site it says March 31st as the last day so I'm not sure what to expect at this point.
Original post by hockeyislife
Anyone else still waiting to hear back from LSE? On their site it says March 31st as the last day so I'm not sure what to expect at this point.

I have a few friends who are still waiting. I'm guessing that a wave of rejections/offers for Law is on the way, judging by the events of the past week on the applicants thread.
Original post by jackclarke1995
Would anyone be able to tell me roughly how many unis require a 4th AS for the LLB? Is it the majority? Kinda worried now that i'm only doing 3, but I am predicted AAB for them. Obviously I don't really need to worry about it for a few months, but it would be nice to be prepared!

Warwick(AAAc) UCL (AAAe) LSE (AAAe) King's (A*AAa/A*AAA) I think that's it. You should be ok for the majority of the top 20.
Reply 3539
so confused :/ don't know whether to make my choices based on the league table or employment opportunities or how much i love the course :s-smilie: help?!

Quick Reply

Latest