The Student Room Group
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website

Frenchay campus ?

I wont have a chance to see for my self until 2nd of may, but I was hoping I could get some peoples opinions on the accommodation on frenchay. I think I'll probably end up going for carroll court seeing as its considerably cheaper and im not getting much in the way of maintenance loan and I have 3 other sibling (1 in uni, 1 just out and 1 in 6th form). Although student village isnt completely out out of the question. So I thought it wouldnt be a bad idea to get some opinions on both.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi :smile: I'm in the same position, I'd rather go to Carroll court but I've still put student village as my second but not too sure how I'm going to afford it if I get that one haha I'm going to the open day on second of may too :smile: have you applied for accommodation yet?
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website
Reply 2
Nah not yet, I showed my parents all the pricing stuff yesterday so should have it sorted by tonight. What course are you doing ??
Reply 3
to me carroll court didt seem to nice with the sharing bathrooms! im going student village but cant get on my application for accommodation :frown:
Reply 4
Oh did it? Hmmm well maybe I should have looked before applying haha oops. Primary education, you?
Reply 5
A human bio foundation, although I'll probably stay at uwe to do a proper degree too. Having to share a bathroom does kinda suck but is it really worth paying an extra 1000 at least just to get an on suite ? It's only gonna be like sharing a bathroom with your family anyway.
Reply 6
Yeah that's what I was thinking too and it's only for a year anyway so I'm sure we will survive! Ah sounds hard haha did you go to an open day or not?
I don't live in the accom, but I've seen it and the campus seems quite nice. I wouldn't worry about sharing a bathroom, it isn't really worth the extra for en-suite IMO.
Reply 8
Ah okay that's good to know! Thank you :smile:
Reply 9
Hopefully not too hard ! I didn't get chance to go to an open day, and I didn't have an interview so didn't have a chance to look round then either, so thought I'd best go to one of the visit afternoons just so id have some idea of where everything was.

But anyway its good to hear its pretty nice accommodation, I'm sure I can manage sharing a bathroom for a year if it saves me £1200 !
Reply 10
Haha I didn't go to an open day but I had an interview but it was snowing so I didn't get to look around haha. Hopefully the visit afternoon is helpful!
hey, i'm a student living on frenchay campus at the moment, its a lovely campus with alot going on but its ages away from town and the busses are crap and the cabs rip you off so you've gotta take that into consideration, if you cant deal with it then live in the centre, but accommodation wise, i live in carroll court, its cool, they arent as strict with carroll court as its the old accommodation so your less likely to get fined for stuff and told to turn your music down, also, its A LOT cheaper than student village and that does make a massive difference, as for the sharing bathrooms thing, we tend to laugh a bit when we hear new freshers say they dont want to share, erm, reality check, even if you have your own bathroom this year, YOU WONT NEXT YEAR, or the year after that, or the year after that ect, you will be living in a shared house, so really its a silly thing to say that ''ommgggg i absolutely must have my own bathroom'', depends if you want to pay a grand to have it for a year? i know a lot of people from student village who wouldnt make that mistake again i warn you! haha but yeah whatever you do uwe's a great uni you'll have awesome time coming here :smile:
Original post by OllieWaldorf
as for the sharing bathrooms thing, we tend to laugh a bit when we hear new freshers say they dont want to share, erm, reality check, even if you have your own bathroom this year, YOU WONT NEXT YEAR, or the year after that, or the year after that ect, you will be living in a shared house, so really its a silly thing to say that ''ommgggg i absolutely must have my own bathroom'', depends if you want to pay a grand to have it for a year? i know a lot of people from student village who wouldnt make that mistake again i warn you!QUOTE]

Yeah I understand that and I agree with you to an extent it's just the initial first few months when you're still getting to know eachother also what if you get stuck with someone that doesn't share the same views on personal hygeine? I think 2nd and 3rd year is different because atleast then you will most likely know the people you're about to move in with and will know what they are like hygiene wise. I've put student village as my first choice and carrol court as my 4th, I don't really mind what I get but I think I would much prefer ensuite.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending