The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Btw just wanna ask if anyone has any opinions on double degrees? and is NUS econs comparable to warwick's? :smile: Thanks!
So who's going for the exhibition tomorrow?
Original post by theil
I'm contemplating. The only thing I'm interested is the visa talk haha

Lol. TBH i think the visa talk is a waste of time. Have to go through VFS eitherway. so must as well let them settle everything. Thats why you pay so much.
Reply 3243
Original post by whitelily29
Ohhh nooooo ): I can't go! Help me look out for important things? >.<

Hey whitelily29,

Tier 4 General Student Visa

The most important things will be what to complete and bring to the visa application (which he was going abit too fast and i couldn't get the stuffs down) so its best that u check on the UKBA website. Bring originals and also a set of photocopy.

Other than that, the visa will expire once you are done with your course. if u want to work in UK, u will have to meet a minimum requirement of a skilled professional job paying 20,000 pounds per annum. This is a new law which will commence in April 2012.

And apply 3 months in advance.

Website of UKBA:
www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk
Original post by jonobebe
Hey whitelily29,

The most important things will be what to complete and bring to the visa application (which he was going abit too fast and i couldn't get the stuffs down) so its best that u check on the UKBA website. Bring originals and also a set of photocopy.

Other than that, the visa will expire once you are done with your course. if u want to work in UK, u will have to meet a minimum requirement of a skilled professional job paying 20,000 pounds per annum. This is a new law which will commence in April 2012.

Website of UKBA:

Thanks for this! I also couldn't make it, but I was a little worried that I might have missed something important.

And *sigh* 20,000 pounds..... minus off the tax and what am I going to live with?
Original post by ofssinfoxes
Thanks for this! I also couldn't make it, but I was a little worried that I might have missed something important.

And *sigh* 20,000 pounds..... minus off the tax and what am I going to live with?

Well normally people do return to Singapore and work, with the exceptions of perhaps law and med students who should be earning more than that at entry level :smile: Besides, if you really want to work/live in the UK, you can marry someone there :P
Reply 3246

Bread! Haha just joking...

Looking at how many times they reform the laws these few years, by the time we graduated, there might be new changes again. so don't worry over matters like this..
Reply 3247

If I'm not mistaken, you don't need to pay them 20,000 pounds. You just need to find a job paying you at least 20,000 pounds to stay in the UK.
Original post by Metastasis
Well normally people do return to Singapore and work, with the exceptions of perhaps law and med students who should be earning more than that at entry level :smile: Besides, if you really want to work/live in the UK, you can marry someone there :P

Well, I guess I was just complaining about how difficult it will be to live in London after university.... yes, my starting salary will be over 20K (fingers crossed), but with such high tax and living expenses in London, saving up will be the last thing I can afford after university! And lol at your proposal.... that will grant me the visa, but not the money :tongue:
Original post by Narev
If I'm not mistaken, you don't need to pay them 20,000 pounds. You just need to find a job paying you at least 20,000 pounds to stay in the UK.

Haha, yes, I understood the OP... but I must have misphrased my response. Anyway, it will be crazy if we need to PAY 20K to stay in the UK. :redface:
Well, I guess I was just complaining about how difficult it will be to live in London after university.... yes, my starting salary will be over 20K (fingers crossed), but with such high tax and living expenses in London, saving up will be the last thing I can afford after university! And lol at your proposal.... that will grant me the visa, but not the money :tongue:

Haha true but at least that means you can stay there and reap the healthcare and perhaps social benefits of living in London :smile: Well you can move to other cities which have a lower SOL if you don't want to pay so much... Especially for transport which costs a bomb there D:
Reply 3251
Highly interested to do BSc Management in LSE, can anyone offer any advice as the course is highly competitive (I checked, for 2011 admissions the admission rate was barely 5%), as well as the employment prospects of a BSc Management degree holder from LSE in both UK and Singapore?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by jonobebe
Hey whitelily29,

Website of UKBA:

Thanks! I guess I can do nothing now but just sit and wait. (:
Guys, is UCL degrees well-regarded in Singapore? Hmm I hope to do MSci Biological Sciences and probably finding a research-based job in Singapore or further my studies to PhD. Got an offer from NUS to study Science (taking life sciences of course), which is better then in terms of career prospects.
Reply 3254
Original post by Jyouie
Guys, is UCL degrees well-regarded in Singapore? Hmm I hope to do MSci Biological Sciences and probably finding a research-based job in Singapore or further my studies to PhD. Got an offer from NUS to study Science (taking life sciences of course), which is better then in terms of career prospects.

Just go UCL :smile:
The rest will say the same as me.
Original post by Jyouie

If you can afford it, go to UCL! You won't regret it because of the awesome experience (:
Any recommendations for places to buy medical textbooks in singapore?
Original post by vladricketts
Any recommendations for places to buy medical textbooks in singapore?

Malaysia :wink: or bras basah! Why did I not think of this?
Reply 3258
Original post by Metastasis
Malaysia :wink: or bras basah! Why did I not think of this?

Which part of bras basah complex? I go there occasionally but did not realise that there are med books... I just see lots of books for art n design.
Maybe I really should try UCL :smile: Thanks guys for your advice! Hope my experience at overseas could help me in getting a job when I'm back!!

Quick Reply

Latest