The Student Room Group

Can he turn this around?

My brothers doing is AS levels this year. He has just been predicted BCCD or BCDD I can't fully remember one result. He is set on studying medicine. In my opinion he wont be able to. Can anyone who has done A levels tell me if it's possible to turn this around? I studied Scottish Highers so I'm uncertain of the English system.

Thanks.
Reply 1
If he works hard then yes.
With hard work, determination and belief then yes :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by POWW!
If he works hard then yes.

Hey thanks. Can you tell me would his A levels predictions that go on his UCAS form just be based on his AS level results from the end of this year? Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by jack1618
Hey thanks. Can you tell me would his A levels predictions that go on his UCAS form just be based on his AS level results from the end of this year? Thanks

Yes they would. He wouldn't be considered for medicine without much better predictions than these or much higher achieved AS grades, peferably straight A's or above. He will be up against people with A*A*A*A* and the like. He will also have had to have done shadowing and volunteering and other work experience to support his medicine application. He may be better taking a gap year, getting this experience and applying with actual grades if he thinks his A2 end results will far exceed his predicted or achieved grades at the end of AS.

:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by catoswyn
Yes they would. He wouldn't be considered for medicine without much better predictions than these or much higher achieved AS grades, peferably straight A's or above. He will be up against people with A*A*A*A* and the like. He will also have had to have done shadowing and volunteering and other work experience to support his medicine application. He may be better taking a gap year, getting this experience and applying with actual grades if he thinks his end results will far exceed his predicted or achieved grades at the end of AS.

Ok thanks, makes sense! I don't think he has the motivation tbh. He has had to be motivated to get to this stage, private school etc. I just want to open his eyes. Thanks for the info!
Reply 6
Original post by jack1618
Ok thanks, makes sense! I don't think he has the motivation tbh. He has had to be motivated to get to this stage, private school etc. I just want to open his eyes. Thanks for the info!

I would say that he sounds typical of some research I was reading that says some males don't really get motivated until their early twenties. Females tend to be more focused and organised earlier on, hence girls doing better than boys at earlier stages of schooling. However when they do get going the males then tend to catch up rapidly in terms of focus and work ethic.

Maybe then he's just one of those type of people. I did wonder when I read the research though whether this affects what they end up doing ie. they don't get into medicine etc at 18.. Maybe he needs to work or something for a few years before university !!!!

Absolutely, I achieved almost double my predicted grades at AS Level. With all due respect, they mean largely twiddly squat.
Reply 8
Original post by BabushkaMan
Absolutely, I achieved almost double my predicted grades at AS Level. With all due respect, they mean largely twiddly squat.

Did you work a lot harder between receiving your predictions and your final AS exams? thanks for your input
Yeah, I worked a hell of a lot harder than I had ever done previously in main school, and also went up about 3 grades from GCSE. It can be done.

Quick Reply

Latest