The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Applied Psychology at Durham?

What is applied psychology?
And why is the entry requirements so low BBB-BBC?

Thanks
Reply 1
http://www.dur.ac.uk/psychology/ug/courses/

That should explain it. I think it's more concerned with how psychology is applied to 'real life' situations.

I guess the entry offer is so low because it's not as traditional a course as the psychology course tought at the City campus, which I think requires AAA. They are both BSc degrees though.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Firstly Stockton courses (except medicine) tend to have lower entry requirements, possibly because they're less popular?

And as Stacy_T said, it's applying it to real life situations, so I'd guess that means less traditional 'theory' and science, so you wouldn't need top grades as you're not going to be doing as much scientific study of the brain/psychology?
Reply 3
I've been told by a friend studying at Durham (not Psychology though) that numerous people switch from Applied to classical Psychology. Is it really that easy? To me that seems that you enter a prestigious university based on a very low offer and then just upgrade to a course which normally requires AAA. Could that be?
Original post by Sir Fox
I've been told by a friend studying at Durham (not Psychology though) that numerous people switch from Applied to classical Psychology. Is it really that easy? To me that seems that you enter a prestigious university based on a very low offer and then just upgrade to a course which normally requires AAA. Could that be?

Applied is taught at the Stockton campus so it'd be virtually impossible to swap during your 1st year. I don't know if you can swap after your first year, but it's very unlikely as the courses have separate quotas, and the university are very keen to stop people from cheating the system by applying for a lower grade course and then switching.

You'd have to ask the department, but it would be far from guaranteed, and if it was an option I suspect a lot of people on the applied course would try to switch which would make switching very competitive!

Also the practicalities of switching campuses and the differences in modules would mean it probably wouldn't work out, even if it was allowed.
Reply 5
Check this first. http://www.dur.ac.uk/psychology/undergraduate/c817/admissions/
Indeed the requirement for applies psychology is lower than the traditional one, but not much as you mentioned.The typical requirement is ABB, must not be as low as BBB.

Btw, i'm about to learn applied psychology this October, which i believe it's better.
Once i asked the coordinator in the department, she told me the difference between two courses is mainly over the 3rd year, which applied one will have internship.
Besides, there's a hospital nearby and research institution that has more opportunities for career.
The uni website offers more info.about the modules, and you can compare them.You might find out that there is no way for one being harder than another,just different about the orientation of research.
Hope above will help you.
Reply 6
The entry requirements are ABB, not BBB/BBC. This is because the course is so new, so not many people know about it. Therefore, they had to lower the grades- the bracket of people getting AAA is obviously smaller than ABB, so this way, by effectively opening the course up for more people, more people will apply for the Queens Psychology course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending