The Student Room Group

A* at A level question thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Data
If it's the boundary it will be 72.

That's abit ridiculous.. 38/40 is around 95% being scaled down to 90% UMS is unfair really.. What would 39 be then, 77? doesn't seem right to me.
Reply 1101
Original post by Tsunami2011
That's abit ridiculous.. 38/40 is around 95% being scaled down to 90% UMS is unfair really.. What would 39 be then, 77? doesn't seem right to me.

About that. They set the grade boundaries dependent on how the candidates performed - if lots of people do well then the boundaries are raised. There were Maths units in January where you had to get more than 60% of the raw marks just to scrape an E.
I got an offer from NTU and they require me to get 300 UCAS at A2. If i got an A* would they accept it? because i heard some uni's don't actually accept them
Reply 1103
Original post by Setsuna-F-Seiei
I got an offer from NTU and they require me to get 300 UCAS at A2. If i got an A* would they accept it? because i heard some uni's don't actually accept them

I'm not aware of any that don't. A*=140 UCAS points, that's all there is to it.
Reply 1104
Does anyone know what 39/40 in chemistry assessed practicals should equate to in terms of UMS (/60)?

Also what score overall do you need for an A* in edexcel chemistry?
Original post by oli_G
Does anyone know what 39/40 in chemistry assessed practicals should equate to in terms of UMS (/60)?

Also what score overall do you need for an A* in edexcel chemistry?

I don't know how much UMS will 39/40 in practical be. Last year one of my friend got 39/40 in edexcel unit 3 chem, and his UMS was 56/60. But i don't know if it is always the case.

For getting an A* in edexcel chemistry, you need to fulfill the following two conditions,
1) Score at least 480/600 overall.
2) Score at least 270/300 in A2 units.

NB: I got an A* in edexcel chem last year. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1106
Original post by raheem94
I don't know how much UMS will 39/40 in practical be. Last year one of my friend got 39/40 in edexcel unit 3 chem, and his UMS was 56/60. But i don't know if it is always the case.

For getting an A* in edexcel chemistry, you need to fulfill the following two conditions,
1) Score at least 480/600 overall.
2) Score at least 270/300 in A2 units.

NB: I got an A* in edexcel chem last year. :smile:

Thanks for the help, hopefully i'll be on for that. :smile:
Original post by oli_G
Thanks for the help, hopefully i'll be on for that. :smile:

Good Luck for an A* but remember to work harder on A2 chem.

You need 270/300 in A2 which isn't easy to score. I scored 300/300 in AS but just 272/300 in A2, so you will need to work considerably harder in A2 chem.
Reply 1108
Original post by raheem94
Good Luck for an A* but remember to work harder on A2 chem.

You need 270/300 in A2 which isn't easy to score. I scored 300/300 in AS but just 272/300 in A2, so you will need to work considerably harder in A2 chem.

Hmm, I was hoping for 300/300, but won't due to the dropped practical mark!

Yeah, will do. I've looked at some of the A2 stuff and it does look pretty hard. Will probably do a bit of reading in the holidays. :smile:
Original post by oli_G

Yeah, will do. I've looked at some of the A2 stuff and it does look pretty hard. Will probably do a bit of reading in the holidays. :smile:

Actually the A2 stuff isn't hard, a few questions in the exam are hard.

AS chem contains straight forward questions so it isn't much difficult to score 300/300 in it.

While in A2 there will be a few question that will require thinking, so these will be the one which will challenge the A* candidate.
Original post by oli_G

For the past two years 37/40 is an A which converts to 48/60 UMS and 38/40 is an A* which converts to 54/60 UMS. You only dropped a mark so provided the grade boundaries remain the same (I highly doubt they would go up) then you should probably get 57/60 UMS which is really good and will certainly help out for that A*. Shame I only got 54/60 UMS. :frown: Have you done Unit 4?
Reply 1111
Original post by 1platinum
For the past two years 37/40 is an A which converts to 48/60 UMS and 38/40 is an A* which converts to 54/60 UMS. You only dropped a mark so provided the grade boundaries remain the same (I highly doubt they would go up) then you should probably get 57/60 UMS which is really good and will certainly help out for that A*. Shame I only got 54/60 UMS. :frown: Have you done Unit 4?

Ah cheers, I couldn't find that info anywhere. Hopefully I can get 297/300 then :biggrin:
Original post by oli_G
Ah cheers, I couldn't find that info anywhere. Hopefully I can get 297/300 then :biggrin:

No problem - have you done Unit 4 yet? The info is on the edexcel website. :smile:
Reply 1113
Original post by 1platinum
No problem - have you done Unit 4 yet? The info is on the edexcel website. :smile:

No, gotta finish unit 2 first :wink:

Could you link me to the part of the website that said that btw?
Original post by oli_G
No, gotta finish unit 2 first :wink:

Could you link me to the part of the website that said that btw?

Oh are you in AS? Just search on the edexcel website "grade boundaries" followed by the respective exam season such as "June 2011". And then click on the link that says GCE Units.
Im confused :frown:! so do you need to have an averae of A at AS, or an A in each unit? thanks :smile:!
Reply 1116
Original post by sarahlabrosse
Im confused :frown:! so do you need to have an averae of A at AS, or an A in each unit? thanks :smile:!

Neither. You need an average of 80% (an A) over the entire A-Level, as well as 90% average at A2.
Original post by Gemini92
Neither. You need an average of 80% (an A) over the entire A-Level, as well as 90% average at A2.

Oh right OK, so i have an A at AS Biology (with one modual at grade B), and 94% in the first half of A2, So to get an A* overall do i just need to et 86% in my next unit thats worth the next 50%??

I'm sorry for dumbing it down so much, but my head of sixth has assured me i can no longer get an A*? Is this wrong then?
So, as long as you get 80%+ at AS, it doesn't really matter if you just scrape an A or get 100%, as it won't count for the A* at A2, right?
Reply 1119
Jesus christ, you people find more and more ways to ask the same question.

Quick Reply

Latest