The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I play an Epiphone Les Paul standard (cherry sunburst :biggrin:) and an Ovation roundback (not sure of the model tho!)

I've been teaching myself for a couple of years now, Wish You Were Here made me want to start! I used to be able to play most of Canon Rock but forgotten most of it now
Reply 9421
Original post by jerseymackem
I play an Epiphone Les Paul standard (cherry sunburst :biggrin:) and an Ovation roundback (not sure of the model tho!)

I've been teaching myself for a couple of years now, Wish You Were Here made me want to start! I used to be able to play most of Canon Rock but forgotten most of it now

I have the same but in trans blue- I love it! I always did prefer Gibson to Fender...
Reply 9422
Original post by JordanR
Haha, yep. Some of the Racer X stuff completely blows my mind when I try and learn it. If you haven't listened to any of the first two Racer X albums, try them out and you'll be like "wat" for most of it. Even most of the riffs and intros are hard to play...

Good song! Great for your picking too. I would make those recordings for you but I have a cut on my ring finger's fingertip and it's a nightmare. Can't play guitar (tried and I got an E string digging into the cut when I did a slide... not good). Quite annoying though -- quite fancied learning Olympic.

"Technical Difficulties" comes to mind. Where simply the intro to the song whispers "just give up now mate" in your ear :colondollar:

Olympic's a sweet tune. Liked the more musical than shreddy feel to it :yes:
Aw that must suck :/ how bad is it? Try playing without it in the meantime? (if that's possible lol)
Original post by Tobia_s
"Technical Difficulties" comes to mind. Where simply the intro to the song whispers "just give up now mate" in your ear :colondollar:

Olympic's a sweet tune. Liked the more musical than shreddy feel to it :yes:
Aw that must suck :/ how bad is it? Try playing without it in the meantime? (if that's possible lol)

If you think that's hardcore, check out some of the old Racer X stuff... Street Lethal comes to mind. As does Scit Scat Wah. And YRO. The scariest thing about all the lead parts is that they were perfectly harmonised about 95% of the time. Street Lethal and Second Heat are definitely some of the most awesome shred guitar albums ever. (Although Rising Force by Malmsteen is almost certainly the best. No one plays with the same insanity as he does, much as it pains me to admit!-)

Yeah, it's awesome. Really love the arpeggio section in it. You might like some of Gilbert's newer stuff then because a lot of it's not really shred-focused at all.

Not great -- was done by a knife and bled for a good half hour. :tongue: Healing now though, should be playing by Monday. I tried playing without it, but honestly, I was useless!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by vox001
I have the same but in trans blue- I love it! I always did prefer Gibson to Fender...

I used to own a knock-off Strat, but it didn't really feel substantial enough - if a Les Paul is anything, it's substantial!
Reply 9425
Original post by jerseymackem
I used to own a knock-off Strat, but it didn't really feel substantial enough - if a Les Paul is anything, it's substantial!

Ayye that it is.
C'est bon. It makes me feel like I got better value for money; stupid, but true.
I love thick, beefy necks. I've got big hands though. My current guitar's neck is HUGE (wider than a Les Paul's and just as thick). Can't beat it for the tone and sustain.
Reply 9427
Original post by JordanR
I love thick, beefy necks. I've got big hands though. My current guitar's neck is HUGE (wider than a Les Paul's and just as thick). Can't beat it for the tone and sustain.

If this were any other thread, this post would be followed with roughly ten others involving sexual inuendo.
Just saying. :wink:
Original post by vox001
If this were any other thread, this post would be followed with roughly ten others involving sexual inuendo.
Just saying. :wink:

So while we're on the topic, I like dark, heavy woods too.

:sexface:
Reply 9429
Original post by JordanR
So while we're on the topic, I like dark, heavy woods too.

:sexface:

:sogood:
And a good, solid body is essential.
Me, I'm the master of G string pulloffs.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by vox001
:coma:
And a good, solid body is essential.
Me, I'm the master of G string pulloffs.

I'm quite accomplished myself.
Does anyone here know if theres a big difference in sound between a fender jaguar and a jazzmaster? I guess it depends on the pickups and amp and stuff, but generally are they fairly similar sounding guitars?

TBH I prefer nice supple knobs that are easy to play with...
Reply 9433

Indeed you are. :cool:

You can hammer-on me anytime. :sexface:

Too far?
Original post by vox001
Indeed you are. :cool:

You can hammer-on me anytime. :sexface:

Too far?

Not too far if you pull me off at the same time. :sexface:

Original post by Tobia_s

Here are the recordings -- sorry for the sloppiness. Finger's still not 100%, but I hope you can get the general idea.

http://soundcloud.com/meticadpa/picking-practice

Here is the tab (think you've already got one for The Gargoyle so I didn't bother): http://i.imgur.com/WJB2z.png
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Mustard-man
Also introduce yourself on this thread: i.e. what type of guitar you play, your favourite guitarist(s) and a few of your favourite pieces/songs.

Hey I'm Sam I'm 19, been playing on and off for about 5 or 6 years.

I play electric, acoustic and bass.

I have an American Standard Strat, and a Gibson Les Paul Standard.

Favorite guitarists:

Stevie Ray Vaughan
Scott Gorham (Thin Lizzy)
Jimmy Page
Joe Bonamassa
Joe Satriani
Jimmy Hendrix
Jeff Beck
Slash
Peter Buck (REM)
Mark Morton (Lamb of God)
Dimebag Darrell (Pantera)

Heres a few of my Vids:

[video="youtube;A0VsvZyLpsM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0VsvZyLpsM&feature=plcp&context=C441a2c8VDvjVQa1PpcFO3gl zTtZQKQYzn4p3cKfU5TeCbJjNSEHg%3D[/video][video="youtube;tT2msblVDuE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT2msblVDuE&feature=plcp&context=C4c726b9VDvjVQa1PpcFO3gl zTtZQKQbWSXh72fEovO_Phex_YTks%3D[/video][video="youtube;dFaVsZt-p5g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFaVsZt-p5g&feature=plcp&context=C406fd04VDvjVQa1PpcFO3gl zTtZQKQcFP0Rz9JjJ8Mdt_TJSz_UU%3D[/video]

Anyway, hello to all you guitarists! :biggrin:
Anyone recommend some fun songs to play on the guitar?

just learned this, its pretty fun to play but it took me a while to get the strumming right!!

Original post by hash007
Anyone recommend some fun songs to play on the guitar?

just learned this, its pretty fun to play but it took me a while to get the strumming right!!

Try Bach's Prelude in C major from The Well-Tempered Clavier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKyMKzGzXjE
Hi everyone! :smile:

I'm planning on buying a guitar, so which is better for beginners: acoustic or electric?
Original post by Arianna123
Hi everyone! :smile:

I'm planning on buying a guitar, so which is better for beginners: acoustic or electric?

That depends on lots of stuff. What kind of music do you want to play mostly?

Latest