The Student Room Group

Common Misconceptions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by carnationlilyrose
Hiccups = egg cups.

:tongue: That's very random!

According to a teacher that I know, some high school kid asked her the other day whether beans are made of meat or milk :tongue:

I laughed quite hard.
Reply 621
It is said that in Germany (maybe it also applies to other countries) due to the lilac Milka cow (don't know whether this is known in the UK, it as a lilac-white cow featured in tv spots for the chocolate brand Milka) more and more children from cities actually think cows are lilac and white :biggrin:
To avoid having to go outside and buy us icecream when we had icecream in the house already, my mum told us that the sound of the icecream truck playing it's tune was actually a feature of our next door neighbour's pond.
Original post by inadilemma
To avoid having to go outside and buy us icecream when we had icecream in the house already, my mum told us that the sound of the icecream truck playing it's tune was actually a feature of our next door neighbour's pond.

The version I've most often heard is that the tune plays when the van has run out of ice cream.

Musical pond. Wow. What I've been missing!
Reply 624
being fat makes you more noticeable in a crowd
That Grand Prix is pronounced 'Grand Pricks'.

I never understood why all the adults used to laugh when I said this.
Reply 626
Oh dear, I must've spent a good 2 hours reading through all this :colondollar:

When I was little I used to say the Lord's Prayer as "deliver us by eagles" instead of "deliver us from evil".

I used to know a girl who thought the lyrics to that High School Musical song were "we're sorry, for lying" instead of "we're soaring, flying".

:tongue:
Reply 627
I thought 'Monet' and 'Manet' were the same person until today.....
Original post by Lovefoxxx_93
I also thought girls weren't allowed to buy Yorkie bars! :facepalm:

We aren't. It specifically says 'Not for girls'.:frown:
For a long time, as a child, I thought my mother was a virgin! Oh the shock when I realised otherwise.....
Original post by rmorrison12

I used to think turbulence on airplanes was the wings hitting trees. I was only 16.

Standard altitude on a commercial flight: 32,000 ft

Seems legit.

lol

<3
Reply 631
Original post by rmorrison12
I used to think turbulence on airplanes was the wings hitting trees. I was only 16.

Only 16!!! I thought you were going to say 6, you really thought that at 16?? Didn't you look out of the window :/ How many planes had you seen skimming tree tops???
Reply 632
de-oxygenated blood is blue. Its actually a deeper red.

How can I be blamed though, they taught me this in school.
Misconceptions can have dramatic consequences.

The 1917 Bolshevik revolution started when people realized that the tsar and the czar were the same person.

(that's by Woddy Allen)
That Tory is another word for Conservative. :smile:
I thought that people having big hearts and all these heart problems was random but i found out in PE that to be good at sports you need bigger hearts,to pump oxygen around the heart properly,so no wonder why so many people in sports have heart problems because they need to have a big heart for their sport.
Original post by mariachi
Misconceptions can have dramatic consequences.

The 1917 Bolshevik revolution started when people realized that the tsar and the czar were the same person.

(that's by Woddy Allen)

Is that the same person as Woody Allen?
When I was 4 I though I lived on a doorstep. Turns out I live in Dorset.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Is that the same person as Woody Allen?
a common misconception :smile:
I thought access to HE was something unusual but actually its pretty simple access to Higher Education-i didn't find that until a few months ago.

Quick Reply

Latest