The Student Room Group

All UCAS Choices in,who do I pick?

All my UCAS choices have responed,and I now need to decide who to firm and who to pick as an insurance

I done my a-levels got grades BBDE the first time(loads of stuff going on in my life)

Worked last year,Then this year I am resiting my a-levels. I am also pregnant(but i am not sure if I am keeping it etc)

Sooo, here are my choices

Southampton BM6-rejection after interview
University of east anglia Medicine-rejection before interview

Oxford(Merton College)-Conditional offer A*AA
Bradford Clinical Sciences Foundation year-Unconditional Offer
St Georges London Biomedical Sciences-Conditional on Getting an A at A-level maths( previously I got an E)

Oxford-perhaps firm it,its the only medicine offer i recieved,grades they are asking are achievable,but not sure if its sensible to tackle medicine at Oxford with a baby

Bradford-could potentialy lead to leeds medschool. If i am not good enough to tranfer to Leeds ,do I really want a degree from bradford?

St Georges-near home(15 min walk away),respectable degree,and there is always GEM medicine,only issue is the impossible offer :frown: ,
If Oxford is the only med offer you got, then go for it. You'll need to put in a good amount of work to go from BBDE to A*AA though.
Reply 2
Firm Oxford and insure Bradford. You will regret not taking the Oxford offer and you don't want to risk not getting St.G's A for maths.
Reply 3
Original post by FlowerPowerPuff
All my UCAS choices have responed,and I now need to decide who to firm and who to pick as an insurance

I done my a-levels got grades BBDE the first time(loads of stuff going on in my life)

Worked last year,Then this year I am resiting my a-levels. I am also pregnant(but i am not sure if I am keeping it etc)

Sooo, here are my choices

Southampton BM6-rejection after interview
University of east anglia Medicine-rejection before interview

Oxford(Merton College)-Conditional offer A*AA
Bradford Clinical Sciences Foundation year-Unconditional Offer
St Georges London Biomedical Sciences-Conditional on Getting an A at A-level maths( previously I got an E)

Oxford-perhaps firm it,its the only medicine offer i recieved,grades they are asking are achievable,but not sure if its sensible to tackle medicine at Oxford with a baby

Bradford-could potentialy lead to leeds medschool. If i am not good enough to tranfer to Leeds ,do I really want a degree from bradford?

St Georges-near home(15 min walk away),respectable degree,and there is always GEM medicine,only issue is the impossible offer :frown: ,

Confirm Oxford, insure Brad. I don't know how the hell you got an offer from Oxford with those previous grades (I'm guessing they took your previous circumstances into consideration?) but well done! Work hard to get in there, Oxford medicine is quite an achievement if you manage it.
Original post by Hippysnake
If Oxford is the only med offer you got, then go for it. You'll need to put in a good amount of work to go from BBDE to A*AA though.

thanks for replying

currently after Jan resits at
Biology-A*
Chemistry-B
Physics-A
Maths-D :angry:

Original post by Hypocrism
Firm Oxford and insure Bradford. You will regret not taking the Oxford offer and you don't want to risk not getting St.G's A for maths.

thanks for responding, i really cant see why St Georges is being so crazy. Its biomedical sciences they should be more concerned with biology and chemistry

Original post by RobertWhite
Confirm Oxford, insure Brad. I don't know how the hell you got an offer from Oxford with those previous grades (I'm guessing they took your previous circumstances into consideration?) but well done! Work hard to get in there, Oxford medicine is quite an achievement if you manage it.

I guess so,i did well at GCSE and AS, But At A2 i missed alot of exams. I totally wasn't expecting it, but Oxford is one of the only med school that accepts resits .... with out saying something like a minimum of BBC must be obtained on first attempt
(edited 12 years ago)
Oxford and Bradford (can transfer to Leeds medicine if good enough)

For Biomedical Science an A in Maths really really helps with the dilutions and other lab based tasks
How did you get an offer from oxford? Did you apply for extenuating circumstances? Well done
Reply 7
What were you GCSE's and Bmat like?
Original post by Giggy88
What were you GCSE's and Bmat like?

English Literature-A*
English Language-A
Maths-A*
Double Science-A* A*
Child Develpoment-D
Health and Social care-EE
Graphic Design-B
Religious Education-A*
PE-A
Music-A*
History-A

BMAT- 29.6

UKCAT-810

Gap year-volunteering on mercy ships
Reply 9
I hope you're not trolling for your sake, but you can't get 29.6 on the BMAT. Well done on Oxford though (if its true) and I would firm it if I were you.
Original post by shapla6
I hope you're not trolling for your sake, but you can't get 29.6 on the BMAT. Well done on Oxford though (if its true) and I would firm it if I were you.

Trolls are sad people who have too much time on their hands.

I am not that.

What I don't get is whats the big deal about oxbridge,medicine is medicine where ever you go. At the end of the day everyone who doesent fail becomes a doctor.
-

I call BS.
Reply 12
Trolls are sad people who have too much time on their hands.

I am not that.

What I don't get is whats the big deal about oxbridge,medicine is medicine where ever you go. At the end of the day everyone who doesent fail becomes a doctor.

Then how did you get 29.6 on the BMAT? It hasn't been possible to get that since the section 3 scoring system changed in 2010.
Reply 13
Why are you going on about Oxford being overrated when it's the only medical offer you've 'got'? You're not really in a position to differentiate.
hi all
i need some advice to see which course i should reply as my firm or insurance choice for september this year. i have offers from the following:

liverpool: anatomy and human biology
liverpool john moores: biomedical sciences
leeds: medical science
bradford: biomedical science
aston: biomedical science

was thinking of aston as i like the campus but im open to ideas? want to enter research/nhs/teaching area in the future so any advice much appreciated
hi all
i need some advice to see which course i should reply as my firm or insurance choice for september this year. i have offers from the following:

liverpool: anatomy and human biology
liverpool john moores: biomedical sciences
leeds: medical science
bradford: biomedical science
aston: biomedical science

was thinking of aston as i like the campus but im open to ideas? want to enter research/nhs/teaching area in the future so any advice much appreciated

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending