The Student Room Group

another classic "no money" thread

Yes, I know there have been thousands of threads similar to this one, but i'd really appcreciate some specific advice as it seems to be curiously difficult to find anything which helps out in this situation.

Essentially, my parents earn a few hundred pounds above the top-end of the loan bracket, meaning i'll get the minimum non-assessed loan, as i will be (probably) studying in London, this means about £5,000.

The accomodation at the university i'll be going to is allocated on a ballot basis, the prices range from £6,000, to a wee bit under £5,000. Unless I get totally shafted and placed in the £7,000 hall :s

The problem is slightly obvious, whatever happens, I will have no money at all to live on. Though my parents have incredibly kindly agreed to give me quite a nice amount of money to live on (about £400 per month), because otherwise i can't really go, I'd prefer to somehow either contrive the system so I don't have to burden them, or pay my own way. I know people will scream GET A JOB, but that's quite a lot easier said than done and I can hardly get a job within 30 seconds of arriving. PLEASE HELP! :smile:

note: I don't understand why I'm being negged..I know I misphrased 'contriving the system', I didn't mean to imply fraud and have amended this further down the thread. But I'm hardly responsible for my parents earning above the income bracket (and only by a tiny amount), which is the reason I will receive a smaller loan. I'm not whining that the situation is awful, I'm just asking for some advice. I think it's unreasonable that people are negging me without attempting to contribute anything.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Without committing fraud there is nothing you can do to "contrive" the system so you get more money.
Reply 2
Have you looked into renting privately?
Original post by Shani
Without committing fraud there is nothing you can do to "contrive" the system so you get more money.

Indeed. Don't cheat, SFE have a very good fraud department - they can and will catch many people fiddling the system. This can result in all your funding being reclaimed and you being denied any further funding from them, meaning you can't finish your course.

And, yes, your parents are giving you money, but there's nothing 'kind' about that per se. With their income level, SFE only award you the non means-tested loan as your parents are expected to make a contribution to your living costs.
Original post by Shani

I didn't mean commit fraud! sorry, that post was done in an incredible rush after a slightly tense discussion with my parents. :tongue: I meant is there anyway to get any other loans, or anything else?

Original post by OU Student
Have you looked into renting privately?

Not significantly, none of my other friends have even considered renting, so i've no idea how i'd find anywhere! any advice?

Original post by glittersticks
Indeed. Don't cheat, SFE have a very good fraud department - they can and will catch many people fiddling the system. This can result in all your funding being reclaimed and you being denied any further funding from them, meaning you can't finish your course.

And, yes, your parents are giving you money, but there's nothing 'kind' about that per se. With their income level, SFE only award you the non means-tested loan as your parents are expected to make a contribution to your living costs.

yeah, but i'm sure you've seen the situation before, just above the limit, but not enough to provide consistent money. I suppose the unfortunate reality is that i'm just going to be painfully skint, all the time.
Reply 5
How about trying to find a job over the summer before you go? I know you said getting a job is easier said than done, but if you could find it with a big chain company, they may allow transfers to other stores whilst you're at uni, so you could work at home over the holidays and work at another store during term time. I know that it's easy to transfer stores working with McDonald's (I know, not the best job, but if you need the money badly then a job's a job). And I'm guessing places like Sainsbury's, Tesco, Burger King might be the same.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ronda
How about trying to find a job over the summer before you go? I know you said getting a job is easier said than done, but if you could find it with a big chain company, they may allow transfers to other stores whilst you're at uni, so you could work at home over the holidays and work at another store during term time. I know that it's easy to transfer stores working with McDonald's (I know, not the best job, but if you need the money badly then a job's a job). And I'm guessing places like Sainsbury's, Tesco, Burger King might be the same.

That's really good advise, and some i've been given by a few people, but I've kind of already committed to many things over the summer. from unpaid work-experience to dipping into my savings to go travelling :/ i think i'll probably just end up painfully, and incredibly, skint. :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by confusedexcited
Yes, I know there have been thousands of threads similar to this one, but i'd really appcreciate some specific advice as it seems to be curiously difficult to find anything which helps out in this situation.

Essentially, my parents earn a few hundred pounds above the top-end of the loan bracket, meaning i'll get the minimum non-assessed loan, as i will be (probably) studying in London, this means about £5,000.

The accomodation at the university i'll be going to is allocated on a ballot basis, the prices range from £6,000, to a wee bit under £5,000. Unless I get totally shafted and placed in the £7,000 hall :s

The problem is slightly obvious, whatever happens, I will have no money at all to live on. Though my parents have incredibly kindly agreed to give me quite a nice amount of money to live on (about £400 per month), because otherwise i can't really go, I'd prefer to somehow either contrive the system so I don't have to burden them, or pay my own way. I know people will scream GET A JOB, but that's quite a lot easier said than done and I can hardly get a job within 30 seconds of arriving. PLEASE HELP! :smile:

well if you want to pay your own way you have to get a job, there is no alternative. and you wont be skint, £400 per month is a lot of money.
Original post by jelly1000
well if you want to pay your own way you have to get a job, there is no alternative. and you wont be skint, £400 per month is a lot of money.

I know I'll have to get a job down there, and £400 per month is a lot of money, but London living costs are fairly high so I'll still be fairly skint. Are you at university in London?
Reply 9
Original post by confusedexcited
I know I'll have to get a job down there, and £400 per month is a lot of money, but London living costs are fairly high so I'll still be fairly skint. Are you at university in London?

no im not, but i live in london. the only thing that is more expensive is the accomodation, as long as you dont shop in tesco express/sainsburys local all the time.
Original post by jelly1000
no im not, but i live in london. the only thing that is more expensive is the accomodation, as long as you dont shop in tesco express/sainsburys local all the time.

Agreed. In fact, the transport can sometimes be cheaper in London.
Original post by OU Student
Agreed. In fact, the transport can sometimes be cheaper in London.

Yep, I'm at uni in Norwich and here a return bus ticket to the city centre from UEA (3 miles) =£4. Two bus journeys in London= £2.70 with an oyster card.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending