The Student Room Group

Suggest me a good book to read

Scroll to see replies

i dont know if this fits into your preferences (ive actually not read a single book suggested on here so far) but someone suggested 'the end of mr y' to me (well a couple of people did, independantly, within a week of eachother....which i thought was pretty coincidental lol) and i really enjoyed it. its kinda weird...but just take it as it is. it gets a bit carried away with itself (sort of like i remember the hitchikers guide series doing)....but its an interesting read.
Original post by translucent
How long did it take you to finish the book?

about 3 weeks
Reply 2082
The Bible? :wink:
I'm thinking The Hunger Games may be quite fitting, but as no one else has suggested it (surprisingly) I could be wrong?!

The Catcher in the Rye, The Perks of Being a Wallflower spring to mind.

Also, maybe The White Tiger? Very different to other suggestions, but I think you may like it..
I really recommend Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma. It is an easy read but the subject topic may be uncomfortable for some, it's about a brother and sister who are basically left to look after their younger brothers and sisters and develop sexual feelings for each other. She writes about it beautifully, though. Another book with a similar topic to this is the classic Flowers in the Attic series which is brilliant.

Also if you liked the Hunger Games series I'd definitely recommend Delirium by Lauren Oliver which is about a society where love is considered a disease that will kill you. Also, Divergent is of a similar style and is great by Veronica Roth

I also recommend a book called The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield - it has a great twist at the end that I did not see coming :smile:

Bear in mind these are all quite light but enjoyable reads so if you're looking for something more challenging they probably won't be for you..
I've never been scared by a book :frown: I read The Shining and didn't find it scary at all.. would be interested to read any recommendations.
Reply 2086
When I was younger I got really scared by a pink goosebumps book with a fish on the front.. although I was young and the start of the book was scary! Not sure if it would have the same effect now though haha
Reply 2087
Thankyou guys!!
Reply 2088
We Need To Talk About Kevin- Lionel Shriver
twilight...
the sicklyness creeps me out :|
Goosebumps books are quite scary
goosebumps
Reply 2092
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Into-Wild-Jon-Krakauer/dp/033045367X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1333658321&sr=8-3

:biggrin:

I have never seen the film but tiny bits of the synopsis make me think of the book 'The Gospel According to Larry'... the plots not really similar but it sounds like it might look at similar themes.

xxx

EDIT: Sorry if this was sarcasm that I didn't notice :P
hello, I would recommend the book " The stranger beside me." By Ann Rule, its basically a biography written by a crime journalist Ann Rule on ted bundy, documenting his crimes, background, trial and conviction and the great thing was that they were quite close friends prior to her finding out he was the serial killer she was investigating! :smile:
I found Dracula scary but that's because I'm a massive wimp
Misery by Stephen King is sooooo tense. Honestly though, I'm going to have to go with The Whitby Witches (which is a kids book xD)
Does ny1 knw of any good horror or magic books??:biggrin:
No, nobody does.
Original post by riotgrrl
Misery by Stephen King is sooooo tense. Honestly though, I'm going to have to go with The Whitby Witches (which is a kids book xD)

I was thinking exactly this. Especially the way he ends it - you think you know all King's tricks and then he pulls that! :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending