The Student Room Group

Is Politics A-level useful for degree?

After many many chats with my 6th form head about the option blocks (they are RUBBISH), he is convinced I would be better off doing maths rather than politics. However, I either want to do a degree in History, Politics or Combined. So I was just wondering if it was useful for the degree to have politics a-level as I noticed it wasn't a requirement. Thanks :smile:
I don't see how having a maths A level would be useful in applying for a degree in history or politics. I certainly would not recommend the maths A level unless you're really good at the subject as it's one of the hardest courses.

Choose Politics! I did and it's actually my favourite A level now :smile:
Reply 2
Yes definitely, although maths is useful also. However, if you are definitely sure you want to be History and Politics at uni then do Politics. If not, or if you're still unsure, then do Maths instead because having Maths A-Level generally opens up a lot of the other options at Uni whereas Politics A-Level isn't even a requirement for most courses, including politics and history courses.
Maths will help you with a PPE course, which are some of the best politics courses.

That being said, if you get to interview stage, most interviewees will be able to throw around more knowledge than you if they do politics and you don't.
Reply 4
Original post by Rock_and_roll
I don't see how having a maths A level would be useful in applying for a degree in history or politics. I certainly would not recommend the maths A level unless you're really good at the subject as it's one of the hardest courses.

Choose Politics! I did and it's actually my favourite A level now :smile:

Original post by geditor
Yes definitely, although maths is useful also. However, if you are definitely sure you want to be History and Politics at uni then do Politics. If not, or if you're still unsure, then do Maths instead because having Maths A-Level generally opens up a lot of the other options at Uni whereas Politics A-Level isn't even a requirement for most courses, including politics and history courses.

I 100% agree, I am predicted an A* in Maths at GCSE, and my head of sixth said it is a more respected A-Level by unis. But I'm sure I want to do History/Politics/Combined so I'll stick with Politics :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest