The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Deadlift PB 145kg x 2. Annoying because I didn't go for a third and should have tried a heavier single. Wasn't tired, just assumed that I wouldn't go higher. Stupid psychological barrier;

In other news, received a warning from the TSR stasi police; I must extend my apologies to you good chaps and chapettes as one of my posts must have caused much offence, with the use of the words eff see you kay and pish. Jeez.
No, honestly it feels ****ing fantastic, like I've had a nice deep tissue massage. There's something wrong with me, I'm not normal. I don't sleep with a pillow.

Original post by cowsforsale
Roundback in that video wasn't as extreme as this one dawg..

Do you seriously not get any acute pain post lifting?
Reply 122
Original post by Khanage
Big deadlift PB for me 2 days ago, videoed it and its below, constructive criticism please.

Form isnt great cos its my 1rm, I realise I pull too much with my back and hamstrings and need to involve legs/quads more. Back rounds a bit and struggled to lock out but i got it :smile:

[video="youtube_share;IRdI6CfqRNI"]http://youtu.be/IRdI6CfqRNI[/video]

Good job, sir. Your technique is much like mine, ie. not starting too low. Same height as you I think (6ft 2) so perhaps has something to do with leg length. Mate of mine is short (~5ft 8) and can pull 225 and starts with his ass much lower to the ground.
(edited 12 years ago)
If you can't get low enough, then you need to sort out your hip flexibility. I'm 6'1'' and I can get down as low as is physically possible (glutes to calves).
Reply 124
Original post by Hantheman
If you can't get low enough, then you need to sort out your hip flexibility. I'm 6'1'' and I can get down as low as is physically possible (glutes to calves).

I can get down glutes to calves, no problem, but just do not go really low when deadlifting.
New deadlift PB today, 160kg for 4 reps.
Original post by The Blind Monk

Too long didn't read: Is it good or bad?

Being low or high is up to you and your mechanics. Look at Koklayev - he goes low as ****. Look at KK, he isn't.

Meh, there's a bunch of ****. In the end you pray to the Iron Gods that you don't get injured.

There was this article a while back on T-Nation perhaps of some fairly old school (like 60s maybe?) dude who pulled 700-800 and he swore by rounding his back a lot.
Reply 127
Original post by TheGrandmaster
New deadlift PB today, 160kg for 4 reps.

matched my pb, what are your otherlifts like?

and butters that second deadlfit vid you weren't even locking out lol
Original post by Gallium
matched my pb, what are your otherlifts like?

and butters that second deadlfit vid you weren't even locking out lol

105kg bench, 140kg squat, both 1RM. Only been lifting seriously for about 6 months so I'm pretty happy with the progress I'm making.
Original post by Michael XYZ
Too long didn't read: Is it good or bad?

Meh, there's a bunch of ****. In the end you pray to the Iron Gods that you don't get injured.

It's a considered answer.

Stuart McGill
lifting with a neutral spine increases the tolerable training volume...

Now for a paradox: If a guy has a long history of lifting with some flexion, the trabecular bone in the vertebral body will be strongly adapted. It appears as though stronger and denser trabecular bone reduces vertebral end plate damage and the ensuing delamination process. This characterizes the grand old men of powerlifting who have survived years of lifting with a flexed spine.

But a newer lifter has a higher risk since they don't have years of loading history to create the adaptation. But the loading is needed to stimulate the adaptation, and this is the most perilous time. Some will survive, but others will have the legacy of a problematic back.
Reply 130
Original post by TheGrandmaster
105kg bench, 140kg squat, both 1RM. Only been lifting seriously for about 6 months so I'm pretty happy with the progress I'm making.

my squats around the same, but my bench is like 75-80 ;( lol, i'm guessing you do 5x5 or something
6 1 isnt really that tall
Original post by Gallium
my squats around the same, but my bench is like 75-80 ;( lol, i'm guessing you do 5x5 or something

Yeah, stronglifts 5x5 with the odd modification here and there.
Reply 133
Original post by Gallium
the bench programme looks pretty awesome!
20kg on your deadlfit in 8 weeks is pretty awesome!

Yeah my bench went up 5kg on that (a lot for me!)
Original post by commandant
6 1 isnt really that tall

says the giant :tongue:
Can't judge depth from the front.

[video="youtube;renmO4KTQLY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=renmO4KTQLY&feature=g-u-u&context=G2fee022FUAAAAAAAAAA[/video]
All these guys are tremendously strong but does anyone actually squat to depth these days?

Watching Kirk Karwoski squat and it's just ****ing beautiful. I mean, wow... 1000x2 single-ply; 800x5 raw (just a belt). All to great depth AND walked out.

I'm not really bothered about powerlifting becoming more public but, ****, they're killing any chance of that happening.
Reply 137
Original post by alex_tait
Can't judge depth from the front.

[video="youtube;renmO4KTQLY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=renmO4KTQLY&feature=g-u-u&context=G2fee022FUAAAAAAAAAA[/video]

Certainly better than SPF "squats".
800x5 raw? hmmmmmmm

Wilkerson's squat was much better than his 1000lbs one which was sky high. I still think Malanichev is more impressive though.
Yes I haven't seen it myself but it's in his DVD.

1000x2 is quite legendary and known. Crazy. I mean, ****, best squatter ever.