The Student Room Group

Tattoo Appreciation Soc. Tattoo Thread

Scroll to see replies

I did like tattoos until recently :|. My friend got a tattoo kit for her 18th and she has tattooed the **** out of her legs :/ they look pretty nasty
Original post by JordanS94
I did like tattoos until recently :|. My friend got a tattoo kit for her 18th and she has tattooed the **** out of her legs :/ they look pretty nasty

Someone gave her a tattoo kit. For her 18th birthday.

What the **** were they thinking?
Original post by Jace Falco
Someone gave her a tattoo kit. For her 18th birthday.

What the **** were they thinking?

Ikr :/ and it was her mother D:
Original post by JordanS94
Ikr :/ and it was her mother D:

:facepalm2:
I just got this tattoo 3 days ago at Kings Cross Tattoo Parlour - its my first tattoo. It was very well-done and I'm very satisfied with the outcome. The parlour itself has a fantastic interior and plays great music (if you're into good rock music ranging from Dire Straits to Joy Division).

472700_10150732567254933_605129932_8893246_713489004_o.jpg
Reply 186
Original post by KT9
That's brilliant, I'm pleased for you. Not sure I believe it didn't hurt much at all though!

Hmm, it must be difficult to get the balance right between a tattooists "superior vision" and making sure you're not just a canvas - that you're getting what you really want.

Eugh, I'm off work this weekend because I'm ill for the first time since I was thirteen. I forgot how much it sucks!!

Best of luck with your next session - I'm sure you'll love it in the end, whatever you decide to go with.

I'm not a fan of being ill either, but haven't been that lucky. Apparently in the last few years i've become a grass pollen hay fever sufferer so I have that to come. Get through the winter unscathed only to feel like crap in the spring lol.

Anyway. Here's the 2 hours work I have had done so far...

Original post by parasitic
Time to upload my tattoo. 3hrs of tattooing so far, have about 5hrs to go. (when I can actually afford it)
The design is very personal to me, I designed it with a bit of a help from a course mate :smile:
I absolutely love it so far and can't wait for the summer to start showing it off :biggrin:

I really like this one even though i would never get such a big tattoo!

I cant wait to get one, I've been wishing to get the same tattoo for 2 years now, so Im pretty sure I would never regret getting it..im just waiting to have money but I guess I will have to wait at least another year and a half :frown:
Original post by Colpejafort
I really like this one even though i would never get such a big tattoo!

I cant wait to get one, I've been wishing to get the same tattoo for 2 years now, so Im pretty sure I would never regret getting it..im just waiting to have money but I guess I will have to wait at least another year and a half :frown:

Thanks. I understand size might be an issue to many people. I'm really into tattoos, and absolutely love mine still. I check my own back out every time I step out of the shower. I'm not vain, but I love love love my tattoo.
Once you get yours I hope you feel the same way about it :smile: Money issue is annoying, I'm waiting to save up so I can finish mine. Good luck with yours!
Reply 189
Original post by Cyclo
I'm not a fan of being ill either, but haven't been that lucky. Apparently in the last few years i've become a grass pollen hay fever sufferer so I have that to come. Get through the winter unscathed only to feel like crap in the spring lol.

Anyway. Here's the 2 hours work I have had done so far...

Wow, looks like it's going to be awesome!

Hay fever? I really don't envy you, consider this an end to my complaining!
Started work on designing my first tattoo. It's based on this, with the changes shown here:

I'm not good at drawing, but you get the idea. The two symbols represent air and water.

I'm planning to have it done in the middle of my upper back. I'm not sure whether to keep it all in black or have some greyscale shading. Opinions? I'm hoping to get a large back piece in the future - a tribal style western dragon - and want the two designs to work together. Inb4 the 'copying Lisbeth' comments.
Hey, now that my peacock tattoo is done, and under budget by £200 (yesss) I'm looking at having my last tattoo reworked a bit. I like it, but it's below my neck/between shoulder blades and looks a bit random... It's a pretty basic tattoo and it just doesn't at all compare to my new one. Thinking of ways to incorporate it into more of a back piece (nothing massive though, just between my shoulders)

Just wondering if anyone could make any ideas or suggestions. I quite like ivy. I'm really in initial ideas phase so anything would be appreciated. Posted the tattoo below.

Spoiler

Reply 192
The best people to speak to are the tattoo artists themselves. They'll be able to take your images and draw up something based on what you're looking for. The place I go prefer to customise designs rather than just copy. I took in a google image of a phoenix and wrote down some themes and the guy put together a design that I could look at and tweak.
Hi everyone,

Have been lurking here for a while but thought I should get some advice from you lovely and knowledgeable people :biggrin:

So I've had a rough road education-wise for the last 5 or so years and have told myself that if I finish my Masters on time, I will get a tattoo as a reward to myself! (Before anyone says, I've thought about it long and hard, drew up a design over a year ago, etc. Whether I actually go through with getting the tattoo or not remains to be seen, of course, as things could change :h: )

Something that occured to me a few days ago is that all the people posting their pictures on here have really good, clear skin. I have had quite dry skin since I was a baby and my back (I'd want the tattoo on my left shoulder) has acne and scars in addition to this. Would this create problems with getting a tattoo at all? Thought there's no point going to see a tattoo artist about it if it's a definite no-go due to my skin conditions and that I might as well ask here first.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer. If anyone's interested in the tattoo itself, it's the picture in my avatar :h: No idea how much a tattoo like that would cost (I live in London near Shepherd's Bush and have read good things on here about Forevermore Tattoo Parlour?) or how long it might take, so any guesstimates on that would be welcome :h:
Reply 194
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Hi everyone,

Have been lurking here for a while but thought I should get some advice from you lovely and knowledgeable people :biggrin:

So I've had a rough road education-wise for the last 5 or so years and have told myself that if I finish my Masters on time, I will get a tattoo as a reward to myself! (Before anyone says, I've thought about it long and hard, drew up a design over a year ago, etc. Whether I actually go through with getting the tattoo or not remains to be seen, of course, as things could change :h: )

Something that occured to me a few days ago is that all the people posting their pictures on here have really good, clear skin. I have had quite dry skin since I was a baby and my back (I'd want the tattoo on my left shoulder) has acne and scars in addition to this. Would this create problems with getting a tattoo at all? Thought there's no point going to see a tattoo artist about it if it's a definite no-go due to my skin conditions and that I might as well ask here first.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer. If anyone's interested in the tattoo itself, it's the picture in my avatar :h: No idea how much a tattoo like that would cost (I live in London near Shepherd's Bush and have read good things on here about Forevermore Tattoo Parlour?) or how long it might take, so any guesstimates on that would be welcome :h:

You can't really tell from the pic of my side, but when I get around to taking one of my back you may be able to notice that I have some bacne. The skin on my back is very dry and prone to developing angry red rashes if irritated by clothing material or sweating when I workout.

I was a little hesitant about getting the design extended to my back, but it's been a week now and it hasn't aggravated my skin at all. A spot formed under one of the lines, but I left it alone and it went away. I just wash my back as usual and moisturise to try and combat the dryness.

I like the design from what I can make out, but do you have a larger image so we can see the detail ?

As for prices and timings, you are going to need to go visit the tattoo artist and talk to them so they can make an estimate, Taking in to account size, detail and placement etc
Original post by Cyclo
You can't really tell from the pic of my side, but when I get around to taking one of my back you may be able to notice that I have some bacne. The skin on my back is very dry and prone to developing angry red rashes if irritated by clothing material or sweating when I workout.

I was a little hesitant about getting the design extended to my back, but it's been a week now and it hasn't aggravated my skin at all. A spot formed under one of the lines, but I left it alone and it went away. I just wash my back as usual and moisturise to try and combat the dryness.

I like the design from what I can make out, but do you have a larger image so we can see the detail ?

As for prices and timings, you are going to need to go visit the tattoo artist and talk to them so they can make an estimate, Taking in to account size, detail and placement etc

Thanks for your post: repped. It's really informative :smile:

Tattoo Design.jpg

I'm afraid this is the biggest image I've got of this :o: I wouldn't want it too big anyway but big enough for the writing to be vaguely legible. Would want it drawn up properly and with a nice font, etc :smile:
Hi everyone,

I also suffer from acne on my back, so I asked my tattooist about getting my back inked. He told me that it wouldn't be possible as it was, but if I got some cream or something to clear it up for long enough to get the tattoo done, then it wouldn't matter if it came back later. My advice would be that you definitely should go and see an artist - they're much more knowledgable about it than we are, and they can physically see your back and tell you what they think.

My personal recommendation is usually for Frith Street in Soho, and I've heard great things about Extreme Needle on Leicester Square. I've not heard of Forevermore, but if it's getting recommendations then it'll be worth checking out - look at examples of the artists' work to see if it's the kind of thing you're after, and make sure it's clean!
Original post by Jace Falco
I also suffer from acne on my back, so I asked my tattooist about getting my back inked. He told me that it wouldn't be possible as it was, but if I got some cream or something to clear it up for long enough to get the tattoo done, then it wouldn't matter if it came back later. My advice would be that you definitely should go and see an artist - they're much more knowledgable about it than we are, and they can physically see your back and tell you what they think.

My personal recommendation is usually for Frith Street in Soho, and I've heard great things about Extreme Needle on Leicester Square. I've not heard of Forevermore, but if it's getting recommendations then it'll be worth checking out - look at examples of the artists' work to see if it's the kind of thing you're after, and make sure it's clean!

Thanks for your post. That's good to know it wouldn't matter if it came back later. Guess I'll have to see and artist, like you say, and see what they think. Just wanted to know whether it was completely out of the question, which it seems like it wouldn't be.

Thanks for the recommendation. Not heard of Extreme Needle on Leicester Square but have heard quite a few people on here mention Frith Street :smile:
Hi everyone,

I went to Forevermore in Glasgow, and I know the two are linked. The Glasgow one was really good (except the receptionist, I didn't like her) and the artists were all very good, so I would expect the same from their sister branch.
Original post by Popppppy
I went to Forevermore in Glasgow, and I know the two are linked. The Glasgow one was really good (except the receptionist, I didn't like her) and the artists were all very good, so I would expect the same from their sister branch.

I go there for my piercings and will go there for my tattoo(s). While I've been waiting for piercings I've flicked through their tattoo books and they really do do some great work.

Quick Reply

Latest