The Student Room Group

Dentistry- Motivation

Hi everyone,

Just a question, am I the only one who finds motivating myself to do all the work required at A-level in order to be able to do dentistry in the future difficult?

I'm currently in AS and I know you're probably thinking, 'well you need to work hard if you're gonna get somewhere' but I'm starting to seriously wonder am I the only person who is finding all the work difficult and finding school difficult?

I'm really serious about dentistry and I know it's the career for me, but how do I motivate myself?
Any tips?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by LoveLoveLove16
Hi everyone,

Just a question, am I the only one who finds motivating myself to do all the work required at A-level in order to be able to do dentistry in the future difficult?

I'm currently in AS and I know you're probably thinking, 'well you need to work hard if you're gonna get somewhere' but I'm starting to seriously wonder am I the only person who is finding all the work difficult and finding school difficult?

I'm really serious about dentistry and I know it's the career for me, but how do I motivate myself?
Any tips?

Thank you :smile:

My motivation went up by 110% after I did my first work shadowing placement. Maybe you should organise a week in a dental practice to give you an idea of what you can achieve in real life by doing well in your exams. :smile:
I pinned a pic of one of these above my desk whenever I felt like I'd had enough of revision is glanced at this

110-mercedes-benz-2012-cls-amg-first-drive-opt.jpg
Reply 3
Nice one Patchey!

I agree with SpeedyDrill - I was only sure dentistry was the career I wanted after doing some work experience. And to answer your question - no! Motivation in school can be difficult, but it's down to self discipline if you're sure you want to be a dentist. Try to think of the reasons you want to do dentistry over any other career, and they should help motivate you!

All the hard work definitely pays off.
What happened to speedydrill happened to me too, give the work experience a go!

By the way its worth taking note that most of your 1st and 2nd year will almost be identical to A-levels, in the way that you are basically learning stuff that seems really irrelevant to your ultimate goal of being a dentist (when you get hit with biochemistry, physiology, embryology etc you'll know what I mean), so make sure you find a good way of boosting your motivation when it drops a bit low. Its such a useful skill to have!
Reply 5
Original post by Patchey1000
I pinned a pic of one of these above my desk whenever I felt like I'd had enough of revision is glanced at this

THIS! think about the money you will be making... its one of the highest paying professions :smile:

i love your profile pic, !
Reply 6
the thought of pulling peoples teeth out for fun gave me so much motivation.

LOL joke. :bhangra:
Reply 7
Original post by Patchey1000

HAHAHA.....LEGEND lol.....
im definitely going to try that :colone:
For me:

During AS- 'Imagining that feeling when you open up your A2 exam results letter and you get AAA, and you know it was all worth it!'...Honestly made me feel really happy and motivated at the time (yes I'm pretty lame haha!)

After getting an offer (gets a lot easier to motivate oneself)- "I have to get 3A's now!"

Studying at dental school (and secondary school) is hard work, but I always think if it isn't pushing you at least a little bit, then you're not really doing the best you can do with life... (I answered a question along those lines at my King's interview when asked "Dentistry is one of, if not the most stressful career out there...why would you still want to do it?")

Good luck!!!

Quick Reply

Latest